OT: 2016 Redskins Part XII: We don't need no stinkin' kicker SEAN MCVAY HIRED BY RAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Another quick google search for potential NFL QB's available this off season revealed this from NFL.com. A month old but gives a good idea of what will be available QB wise:

Trade candidates
1) Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots
2) Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
3) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills
4) AJ McCarron, Cincinnati Bengals

Garoppolo is the only one on that list I'd be interested in but he's only started 3 games and it will cost draft picks to get him. Lateral move from Cousins at this point.

Candidates for release
1) Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
2) Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
3) Robert Griffin III, Cleveland Browns
4) Nick Foles, Kansas City Chiefs

No thanks to any on this list. #3 especially. They are candidates for release for a reason.

Free agents
1) Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
2) Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3) Brian Hoyer, Chicago Bears
4) Geno Smith, New York Jets
5) Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets
6) Matt Barkley, Chicago Bears
7) Case Keenum, Los Angeles Rams
8) Matt McGloin, Oakland Raiders

#1 on this list is ok to me, wait...

Other names to watch:
Mark Sanchez, Dallas Cowboys
EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills
Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers
Matt Cassel, Tennessee Titans
Ryan Mallett, Baltimore Ravens
Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers
Shaun Hill, Minnesota Vikings
Ryan Nassib, New York Giants

No thanks to any of these. Clear step down from Cousins.

More information on all names listed above, accept Other Names to Watch, here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-index-the-2017-trade-marketfree-agency-guide

Besides Garoppolo I'm not seeing many acceptable alternatives to Cousins.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Let's say you are a GM, and Cousins and his agent say if you tag us we are 100% gone next year right before the draft, would you support Scot drafting a QB?

What is their consensus on Sudfeld - cut from the Big Ben mold physically; I think their feelings on him dictate whether we draft a QB or not.

I do, and think it would be wise. If they don't see Sudfeld panning out. Scot and GMs can fix the D through free agency because we have the cap room. Regardless, defenses do not need to be built through the draft.

Look at his defensive guys drafted last year. Ionniddes, Cravens, Fuller... showed some promise, but that is about it.

I thought the Cousins 4th round selection was dumb, redundant; a wasted pick. But I like a clipboard guy with upside always milling around.

You draft the best player available in the draft. You don't take on need. That's what free agency is for. You go in to the draft with the notion of taking the best player available at that spot, regardless of your needs. If Cam Robinson, Mike Williams, or John Ross falls to the Skins at 17, you don't pass simply because you need a defensive lineman. You go get the guy who is going to be a baller in the next five seasons. The only consideration should be whether that player is worth it at that pick, or could you get more value later in the draft.

The best result of drafting on need is Scherff. While nice, he certainly isn't worth the 5 overall pick, especially the impact that Vic Beasley and Lenoard Williams have had.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Which would probably answer any questions about going back to a 4-3. Has Mclou built teams for one system more than the other? Last I looked at the current roster we seemed really heavy on LBs compared to DL and we'd need a pretty massive overhaul to switch.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Another quick google search for potential NFL QB's available this off season revealed this from NFL.com. A month old but gives a good idea of what will be available QB wise:

Trade candidates
1) Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots
2) Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
3) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills
4) AJ McCarron, Cincinnati Bengals

Garoppolo is the only one on that list I'd be interested in but he's only started 3 games and it will cost draft picks to get him. Lateral move from Cousins at this point.

Candidates for release
1) Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
2) Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
3) Robert Griffin III, Cleveland Browns
4) Nick Foles, Kansas City Chiefs

No thanks to any on this list. #3 especially. They are candidates for release for a reason.

Free agents
1) Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
2) Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3) Brian Hoyer, Chicago Bears
4) Geno Smith, New York Jets
5) Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets
6) Matt Barkley, Chicago Bears
7) Case Keenum, Los Angeles Rams
8) Matt McGloin, Oakland Raiders

#1 on this list is ok to me, wait...

Other names to watch:
Mark Sanchez, Dallas Cowboys
EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills
Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers
Matt Cassel, Tennessee Titans
Ryan Mallett, Baltimore Ravens
Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers
Shaun Hill, Minnesota Vikings
Ryan Nassib, New York Giants

No thanks to any of these. Clear step down from Cousins.

More information on all names listed above, accept Other Names to Watch, here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-index-the-2017-trade-marketfree-agency-guide

Besides Garoppolo I'm not seeing many acceptable alternatives to Cousins.

Obviously you won't find someone that equivalent or a step up from Cousins. Football teams aren't built around one guy (unless they are Tom Brady). The point is you'd have 25m to spend elsewhere.

Kaepernick is an intriguing option. The 49ers are terrible. Their defense makes the Skins look like playoff caliber. Their offensive weapons, save Hyde, we're all middling to awful. MacDonald is an ok TE, but light years from Reed. They have no WR's at all (their #1 guy was a Jets cast off...Kerley). Their Oline was not good either.

Kaep was 16/4 TD/Int. Almost same + number as Cousins, but in half the season. With the SF connection, I could easily see him being an answer, and at a far cheaper cost (like a 3rd the cost).

Ryan Fitzpatrick could be a band aid. As could Romo (yuck, but it's still an option).

McGlou is a guy I trust to build this team. It may need to be the Seattle model, where everything else was in place, they added Wilson, and they took off. This team is still a few years away from having the overall depth of talent on both sides to be a true contender. If they need to move away from Cousins due to outrageous demands, then so be it.

I'm still VERY dubious that someone will offer him much more than 20m a season. I would rather them get it done at 18m long term, as I've stared (which isn't lower than Osweiler, as you claim).

You are telling me 8/144 with 64m guarantee is a bad offer? Can start lower than 18m first season (like 15m) and escalate to the 25m by the middle, then back down again.

I want them to keep Cousins, just not at all costs like most of you do.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Which would probably answer any questions about going back to a 4-3. Has Mclou built teams for one system more than the other? Last I looked at the current roster we seemed really heavy on LBs compared to DL and we'd need a pretty massive overhaul to switch.

Would we?

Right now, the Skins need at least one ILB who can play in coverage, and two defensive linemen, especially a true NT.

If you move Murphy and Kerrigan to defensive end and Cravens to WLB, you need a SLB and another two down defensive lineman, with Trent moving inside and Smith being an edge rusher on passing downs.

It's convievable that the defense is, currently, better suited for a base 4-3.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Would we?

Right now, the Skins need at least one ILB who can play in coverage, and two defensive linemen, especially a true NT.

If you move Murphy and Kerrigan to defensive end and Cravens to WLB, you need a SLB and another two down defensive lineman, with Trent moving inside and Smith being an edge rusher on passing downs.

It's convievable that the defense is, currently, better suited for a base 4-3.

Yeah I don't think it would be to hard to switch over to a 4-3 with what is on defense now. It might even be a benefit. Kerrigan, Murphy and Preston Smith are better 4-3 ends than 3-4 OLB's, IMO. Kerrigan and Murphy could be the run stopping DE's with Kerrigan also providing some pass rush and Preston Smith could be developed into a rush end. Same with Baker (if he is resigned), he is a better 4-3 DT than a 3-4 DE. Resign Gallette to be the WLB, Cravens as SS, Hood as a depth DE/DT, Ioannidis a depth DT run stopper like Mike Golic from back in the day and Foster/Compton depth MLB's.

That leaves needing a legit presence at DT, legit pass rushing DE, a skull thumping MLB, a legit FS and a legit SLB. Thats a lot but whether its 3-4 or 4-3 there are a lot of holes to fill. At least with a 4-3 some of what is there already will be in positions that better suit their skill set.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Yeah I don't think it would be to hard to switch over to a 4-3 with what is on defense now. It might even be a benefit. Kerrigan, Murphy and Preston Smith are better 4-3 ends than 3-4 OLB's, IMO. Kerrigan and Murphy could be the run stopping DE's with Kerrigan also providing some pass rush and Preston Smith could be developed into a rush end. Same with Baker (if he is resigned), he is a better 4-3 DT than a 3-4 DE. Resign Gallette to be the WLB, Cravens as SS, Hood as a depth DE/DT, Ioannidis a depth DT run stopper like Mike Golic from back in the day and Foster/Compton depth MLB's.

That leaves needing a legit presence at DT, legit pass rushing DE, a skull thumping MLB and a legit SLB.

Junior Galette is a pure edge rusher. I don't see anything that could justify him playing a true OLB position where he'd be expected to play in coverage. And I really don't want to commit to him with those injuries. I mean, if he comes back cheap, sure.

I think Baker is good as a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT, but those positions are pretty similar. He just needs help on that defensive line. Another end or tackle that could help push the pocket would result in our OLBs being in double digit sacks with the third option being at least a 6 sack guy.

I don't know what to think about Cravens. I really don't think he can be an every down safety in today's NFL. Both safeties have to be able to play in coverage and I question Cravens ability to do this. He's never done it. He's always either been a linebacker or a hybrid linebacker/safety. Ultimately, you need a defensive coordinator that knows how to use him and puts him in the spots to be useful.

Skins need talent on the defensive side of the ball, for sure. The decision needs to be made before free agency on whether or not they're moving to a 4-3 or not, because that decision will dictate your options for free agent defensive linemen. I'm good with a 3-4 at this point, as that will be what everyone is most familiar with and there are several 3-4 defensive front 7 players worth signing this offseason.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You draft the best player available in the draft. You don't take on need. That's what free agency is for. You go in to the draft with the notion of taking the best player available at that spot, regardless of your needs. If Cam Robinson, Mike Williams, or John Ross falls to the Skins at 17, you don't pass simply because you need a defensive lineman. You go get the guy who is going to be a baller in the next five seasons. The only consideration should be whether that player is worth it at that pick, or could you get more value later in the draft.

The best result of drafting on need is Scherff. While nice, he certainly isn't worth the 5 overall pick, especially the impact that Vic Beasley and Lenoard Williams have had.

What is it with you and the Scherff pick? The dude is a monster and is going to be an All-Pro guard and anchor the line for the next decade. That's easily worth his draft status. Let's say they drafted Beasley or Williams... the OL could and probably would look like this: Trent-Lava-Licht-Long-Moses. That's considerably worse. Moses is on record saying that his own strong play is in large part due to Scherff being so good. Resign Long and upgrade LG and you have one of the best OLs in the league for the foreseeable future.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
@ #5 some people wanted a flashier superstar. Misplaced expectations. I'll take the Pro-bowl caliber lineman and be happy about it for the next 5-10 years.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Cowboys are in the playoffs and we're not, with a rookie QB, possibly BECAUSE they focused on a Pro Bowl offensive line, which made a great rookie RB even better.

-Top 10 run defense
-#1RB (or RBC) that's a red zone threat
-Top quality offensive line

These are the things that are going to give you a chance every year. These are things that can make good quarterbacks great. And it all starts with the OL because even the best RBs can't run far with bad linemen. And if the other team has a bad OL then your run stopping improves. So building from there out is where the war starts.

So I don't question the positional focus of the Scherff pick. The question was whether or not he was good enough. He's doing pretty well so far.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not signing Cousins would be a dramatic step in the wrong direction for this franchise. Have you guys forgotten how long we've been searching for a quarterback? There's nothing available on the upcoming market to even come remotely close to replacing him and with that said, where we're drafting nothing is available to replace him. I understand people don't want an "Elite Joe Flacco" situation here with Cousins but at the same time a QB is the cornerstone of your franchise and good ones are hard to find. Kirk's well spoken on the podium and takes responsibility for the team, shows leadership qualities on the field, does a ton of good things in the community and most importantly has had two back to back good seasons. He's got everything you want for your starting QB. When's the last time we had a QB have two good back to back seasons? The last QB to even GO two full seasons as the starter without missing a game was Jason Campbell and he was a train wreck. Before that? Mark Rypien.

PAY THE MAN

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What if he doesn't want to be here, and starts raising his ask to force the issue?

I am not sure its wise to pay THAT man.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Not signing Cousins would be a dramatic step in the wrong direction for this franchise. Have you guys forgotten how long we've been searching for a quarterback? There's nothing available on the upcoming market to even come remotely close to replacing him and with that said, where we're drafting nothing is available to replace him. I understand people don't want an "Elite Joe Flacco" situation here with Cousins but at the same time a QB is the cornerstone of your franchise and good ones are hard to find. Kirk's well spoken on the podium and takes responsibility for the team, shows leadership qualities on the field, does a ton of good things in the community and most importantly has had two back to back good seasons. He's got everything you want for your starting QB. When's the last time we had a QB have two good back to back seasons? The last QB to even GO two full seasons as the starter without missing a game was Jason Campbell and he was a train wreck. Before that? Mark Rypien.

PAY THE MAN

All that being said there is a number you would balk at correct? I mean you would draw the line somewhere right? And wherever that line is doesn't change anything about what you wrote above. But you still have to draw the line somewhere because you need to improve the rest of the team also.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
What is it with you and the Scherff pick? The dude is a monster and is going to be an All-Pro guard and anchor the line for the next decade. That's easily worth his draft status. Let's say they drafted Beasley or Williams... the OL could and probably would look like this: Trent-Lava-Licht-Long-Moses. That's considerably worse. Moses is on record saying that his own strong play is in large part due to Scherff being so good. Resign Long and upgrade LG and you have one of the best OLs in the league for the foreseeable future.

@ #5 some people wanted a flashier superstar. Misplaced expectations. I'll take the Pro-bowl caliber lineman and be happy about it for the next 5-10 years.

1. He really isn't as good as people (particularly Redskins fans). He's a good guard. Anyone saying anything more is simply unaware of what Scherff does and what his impact is. He's a good guard. Nothing more. The Pro-Bowl is a popularity contest. It's like being elected for your 5th grade class president.

2. You don't take a guard at number 5 ever. EVER. You take impact players, and Scherff isn't it. You take guys who will make a huge difference and Scherff really ... hasn't. He was an upgrade because the offensive line play was so bad. But our running game really isn't improved. Much of the pass protection is due to Cousins' ability to get rid of the ball quickly and on time.

Look at the other guards selected to the Pro-Bowl and All-Pro teams. There isn't one who was picked within 10 picks of him. I'm not denying that Scherff is a good guard. He is. But he's not worthy of the 5th pick in the draft. That's where you take LTs. And Scherff couldn't even beat out a third round pick for RT. He was projected as a guard from initial scouting reports. Ali Marpett was taken at theend of the second round and is every bit as good as Scherff.

This team not only had needs, but was desperate for quality defensive players that were available at number 5 and worthy of the number 5 pick. And, frankly, I would have much preferred trading back and getting a quality defensive starter (like Danny Shelton) and being able to get back in to the end of the second round (for Ali Marpet)

It's not that it's a bad pick, it's that it's a huge reach for a guy that doesn't seem able to play RT, let alone LT. And, given Williams' drug policy status, we really could use a quality back up LT.

Cowboys are in the playoffs and we're not, with a rookie QB, possibly BECAUSE they focused on a Pro Bowl offensive line, which made a great rookie RB even better.

-Top 10 run defense
-#1RB (or RBC) that's a red zone threat
-Top quality offensive line

These are the things that are going to give you a chance every year. These are things that can make good quarterbacks great. And it all starts with the OL because even the best RBs can't run far with bad linemen. And if the other team has a bad OL then your run stopping improves. So building from there out is where the war starts.

So I don't question the positional focus of the Scherff pick. The question was whether or not he was good enough. He's doing pretty well so far.

They didn't take a guard at number 5. They also took a RB in the top 5, which happened to be the best talent available. Sorry, but it's not comparable. The Cowboys didn't reach for their picks.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
What if he doesn't want to be here, and starts raising his ask to force the issue?

I am not sure its wise to pay THAT man.

You don't have to worry about it this year, but next year. So, franchise him. If someone comes along and offers a stupid trade (like the RGIII deal), then do it. Otherwise, draft his replacement.

That's one of the reasons free agency is so crucial this year. You could very well be signing guys who your next QB will be leading. Don't go in to the draft being desperate for a position, but go in with the ability to take the BPA at your spot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They didn't take a guard at number 5. They also took a RB in the top 5, which happened to be the best talent available. Sorry, but it's not comparable. The Cowboys didn't reach for their picks.

Cowboys drafted O-line early first round something like 3 out of 5 years to build their current roster. Do you think they just got lucky that OL were BPA on their boards every one of those drafts?

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Cowboys drafted O-line early first round something like 3 out of 5 years to build their current roster. Do you think they just got lucky that OL were BPA on their boards every one of those drafts?
I think they drafted safe rather than on potential. I mean, JJ Watt was still on the board and I think we can both agree that he's better than Tyron Smith. But he had a lot of risk as well, because he was a bit of a tweener.

Frederick was BPA as they were picking 31 at the time.

2014 is really the only year you can question but, again, I think they went with a safer pick rather than someone with higher potential. They also drafted 16th, not 5. Had they had the fifth pick, do you really think they're taking Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan? I don't.
Buzz is McVay is gonna to land a HC job and both SF and LA covet him
That would be amazing for him. He's really young and, frankly, I don't think those are ideal positions for him, but to get a big time HC job so young is definitely a feather in his cap.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Buzz is McVay is gonna to land a HC job and both SF and LA covet him

They mentioned on the radio, yesterday that this was more due diligence for the next time around for McVay, that at 30 it was unlikely he gets a head coaching spot. This is practice for him. Interested to see if it pans out that way.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Chris Cooley said on the radio this morning that Cousins wants to be a Redskins. He just wants a commitment from the team that he is their franchise QB and a long term deal would do that. Cooley has a personal relationship with Cousins so its not speculations on Cooley's part.

Cousins asking for outrageous money just to get out of town doesn't seem likely but he can be insulted by a deal at or below the Osweiler deal, for example. Also, if negotiations break down, and the Skins have to tag Cousins again, then the outrageous money to get traded will be a real possibility next year.

Cousins has the leverage but the Skins control his rights for the next two years. Losing him for nothing is not possibility for two more years. So the Skins can explore trades if they feel they need to.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
McVay and Kyle shanny being HC could they trade for or sign Kirk?

LA just drafted Goff #1 overall. No chance they bring in Cousins to compete with him. We can trade Cousins for Goff?

SF is possible, for sure.....but they are terrible. Good luck there, Kirk.

Denver is an intriguing option....but they only have 38m in cap space, and need to sign 10 players or do. Giving 25m to Cousins doesn't seem like it's feasible if they need to add another 9-10 players for only 13m.

We will see. The Jets don't seem to have any Cap space, and they have a QB need. So maybe they can't be a part of this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad