Denver
burgundy-review.com

Beaudin_RNH_2015_1_DL.jpg

2016 PROSPECT RANKING
[table="head;width=800]RANK|PREV|CHNG|NAME|POS|TEAM|DRAFT|VOTES

1|1|-| Mikko Rantanen|RW|San Antonio (AHL)|#10 overall 2015|108 votes, 95.37%|

2|2|-| Chris Bigras|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#32 overall 2013|116 votes, 48.28%|

3|N/A|N/A| Tyson Jost|C|Penticton (BCHL)|#10 overall 2016|90 votes, 96.67%|

4|6|+2| JT Compher|C|Univ. of Michigan (Big10)|#35 overall 2013|91 votes, 64.84%|

5|5|-| Nicolas Meloche|D|Gatineau (QMJHL)|#40 overall 2015|92 votes, 71.74%|

6|10|+4| AJ Greer|LW|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#39 overall 2015|97 votes, 82.47%|

7|15|+8| JC Beaudin|C|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#71 overall 2015|93 votes, 31.18%|

[/table]

Added Mason Geertsen

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
I went with the Martin again here for the same reasons. Its hard to make a bad choice but I still am just so impressed with everything Martin brings mentally and physically.

Add Clurman

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Went with Martin again but Morrison is more than fine with me as well.

Time for some Clurman love.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Beaudin at 7, before Martin, Morrison and Mironov? He is easily a step below these others. Martin has a higher ceiling and is more proven. Morrison has a higher ceiling and had a much better draft year. Mironov is much more proven. Beaudin is a good prospect, but there is no way he is our 7th best prospect.

Man TV, I think your love for the huskies are rubbing off on the rest of the board. And I love how the poll was closed after Beaudin jumped ahead by 1 vote. :)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Beaudin at 7, before Martin, Morrison and Mironov? He is easily a step below these others. Martin has a higher ceiling and is more proven. Morrison has a higher ceiling and had a much better draft year. Mironov is much more proven. Beaudin is a good prospect, but there is no way he is our 7th best prospect.

Man TV, I think your love for the huskies are rubbing off on the rest of the board. And I love how the poll was closed after Beaudin jumped ahead by 1 vote. :)

No were near as out there as Compher ahead of Meloche *shrug*

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Lol. You know nothing about Compher other than what you read about him when we traded for him. But go ahead and keep acting as if he didn't develop further and take a huge step offensively this past year. :shakehead

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

The poll was closed exactly 48 hours after it was opened, just like every other poll (except for weekend polls that go 72 hours). I have never closed a poll early.

Lol. You know nothing about Compher other than what you read about him when we traded for him. But go ahead and keep acting as if he didn't develop further and take a huge step offensively this past year. :shakehead

That's exactly the same reason Beaudin made the jump up. It was close between Martin and Morrison but to say he's a clear step behind is not knowing the player IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
These players are kids... people are naturally going to have different opinions...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

There's a beautiful irony to you criticizing someone for not knowing about a player, given your previous post about Beaudin. ;)

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
The poll was closed exactly 48 hours after it was opened, just like every other poll (except for weekend polls that go 72 hours). I have never closed a poll early.

That's exactly the same reason Beaudin made the jump up. It was close between Martin and Morrison but to say he's a clear step behind is not knowing the player IMO.

I never said Beaudin didn't make a jump up himself. He didn't make enough of a jump/improvement though to be looked at as much more than a tweener still however, just like last year (and that's not just my opinion but all of yours who know the player very well). His improvement is kind of what we were expecting, at least I was, and it helps his "probability" more than his ceiling IMO, which is obviously a good thing still. But Martin did the same thing with his professional AHL performance, and his ceiling is just as high if not higher than a tweener forward. They might be close, but when it comes to ceiling, floor, nhl readiness and probability I don't see one area that Beaudin has over Martin. And Morrison's draft year was just much more impressive than Beaudin's. Unless one thinks Morrison isn't going to improve I don't see how Beaudin goes before him. Morrison has the superior ceiling and at his size he might even reach the nhl before Beaudin despite being a year younger.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I never said Beaudin didn't make a jump up himself. He didn't make enough of a jump/improvement though to be looked at as much more than a tweener still however, just like last year (and that's not just my opinion but all of yours who know the player very well). His improvement is kind of what we were expecting, at least I was, and it helps his "probability" more than his ceiling IMO, which is obviously a good thing still. But Martin did the same thing with his professional AHL performance, and his ceiling is just as high if not higher than a tweener forward. They might be close, but when it comes to ceiling, floor, nhl readiness and probability I don't see one area that Beaudin has over Martin. And Morrison's draft year was just much more impressive than Beaudin's. Unless one thinks Morrison isn't going to improve I don't see how Beaudin goes before him. Morrison has the superior ceiling and at his size he might even reach the nhl before Beaudin despite being a year younger.

All good thoughts and it is close between the three. For Beaudin it was expected he'd improve but he surpassed my expectations by how much and the role he was in, his season was very impressive. Yes it's true he's still thought of as a tweener however I think Morrison is considered a tweener as well. Maybe with more offensive upside but still not really a top 6 sort at this point. Nobody really knows the timeline on him, he could be in school for 3-4 years, there's just more unknown there. Beaudin is just a safer bet right now, I'm sure Morrison can pass him if he keeps improving. Martin is tough to place depending on how one places goalies. I think he makes a step up when he establishes himself as an AHL goalie, which he might this year but we don't know yet. Whether folks buy into it or not, now having 6 goalies signed does make the situation more unclear. He had good performance in the AHL, uneven performance in the ECHL and should have seen more starts (not saying that was his fault but that his pro resume is still thin). A potential NHL level backup is valuable but there's just a lot more hurdles to get there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Beaudin pretty much performed like I expected him to (he was one of my picks of prospects that would surprise people, and I was one of the people vouching for him after the selection). He was above PPG and did well being moved back to center. He wasn't the big time driver on that line, but he didn't need to be either. I expect that his pure numbers will fall back a bit (I don't think he hit 1.4 PPG again), but he should be a ~1.2-1.3 player again next season and further refine his 2 way play. I like the kid as a prospect, but he has some hurdles ahead of him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Morrison will likely pass Beaudin at some point, but for now given their levels of progression I'm comfortable putting him a bit behind JC. Morrison's still very young and raw, but if he progresses the way I think/hope he will he'll probably be ahead of Beaudin this time next year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Interesting how heated a prospect poll can become :laugh:

It's people's opinions, where theres plenty that haven't seen any of the players play more than a few games, or at all. No different than back when where the majority of Avs thought Elliot was a superior prospect with a higher floor than Barrie.

I like Beaudin, I thought he progressed well. I don't know about you, but I would find these polls incredibly boring if everyone had the same opinion as me.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Surprised, Beaudin beat out Morrison last time.

Beaudin is a nice prospect but at best I see a 3rd line center or guy that has to transition to winger to make an impact, whereas Morrison has the potential to be a top 6 goal scoring winger. I'd say Morrison has way more potential than Beaudin. Oh well I guess I'll keep voting for Morrison until he gets picked.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know why Beaudin has to be a winger. He has size, skating, smarts, is good on faceoffs. Unless it just comes down to positional need at the time, he should project as a center at the pro level, and in the pipeline we don't have many centers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Beaudin is much better as a center. There is nothing wrong with developing him into a middle 6 center hoping the offense translates enough to be a #2, but even getting a #3C out of him would be great.

If Beaudin develops like I think he will, he has a chance to be a high end #3C. I'd be thrilled with that outcome.

Though I don't agree with the Avs not having centers in the pipeline... Compher, Jost, Beaudin, and Grimaldi are all players that project as centers. I think Morrison projects more as a winger, but he will likely play as a center the next couple years.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't know why Beaudin has to be a winger. He has size, skating, smarts, is good on faceoffs. Unless it just comes down to positional need at the time, he should project as a center at the pro level, and in the pipeline we don't have many centers.

I just don't see Beaudin possessing enough skill to be much more than a 3rd line center. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I'd be thrilled to have a decent 3rd line center. But when comparing it to a guy that has the skill set to be a top 6 power winger like Morrison, I don't think there is much comparison. Morrison has much higher ceiling than Beaudin. And that's not a knock on Beaudin it's just a compliment to Morrison.

I'll be shocked if Morrison doesn't turn heads next season at Notre Dame. I could easily see him sliding into the top 5 prospects for us next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad