Prospect Info: 2016 Ranking #8

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mikko played center out of desperation last year and they really only added Jost as a center. I'm not sure how long Grimaldi will be around and doubt they've use him as any sort of real option at center at the NHL level. It remains to be seen how much time Compher will see at either level and at which position. Most of their forwards are versatile and can play either way but they don't have many true centers IMO.

On Morrison, I'm just not convinced of his top 6 upside yet. I know the potential is there but he's long way out from it and the possibility of it. If he has that fantastic of a year then great and if he becomes a true top 6 option for us then yeah that would change things.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Mikko played center out of desperation last year and they really only added Jost as a center. I'm not sure how long Grimaldi will be around and doubt they've use him as any sort of real option at center at the NHL level. It remains to be seen how much time Compher will see at either level and at which position. Most of their forwards are versatile and can play either way but they don't have many true centers IMO.

IMO Rantanen was an attempt to see if he could play the position in the NHL (and Compher wasn't available to be tried). He also needed a new challenge. I think they got their answer and selected a center. Compher is a natural center. He can play wing, but they will try to develop him into a center.

So at very least we have Compher, Jost, and Beaudin as natural centers (if you don't want to include Grimaldi). MacK is around for a while. Soda or Duchene will probably be around for a while too. That really leaves one spot they will develop those 3 for (they won't develop them for the #4C role). That really isn't any different than the natural wing depth with Rantanen, Greer, Nantel, and Morrison.

I clamored for a center and they added 1 (Jost) maybe upto 3 prospects (Morrison and Grimaldi) that will be centers this summer. That is about all they needed with the youth and contracts already on the team.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
All good thoughts and it is close between the three. For Beaudin it was expected he'd improve but he surpassed my expectations by how much and the role he was in, his season was very impressive. Yes it's true he's still thought of as a tweener however I think Morrison is considered a tweener as well. Maybe with more offensive upside but still not really a top 6 sort at this point. Nobody really knows the timeline on him, he could be in school for 3-4 years, there's just more unknown there. Beaudin is just a safer bet right now, I'm sure Morrison can pass him if he keeps improving. Martin is tough to place depending on how one places goalies. I think he makes a step up when he establishes himself as an AHL goalie, which he might this year but we don't know yet. Whether folks buy into it or not, now having 6 goalies signed does make the situation more unclear. He had good performance in the AHL, uneven performance in the ECHL and should have seen more starts (not saying that was his fault but that his pro resume is still thin). A potential NHL level backup is valuable but there's just a lot more hurdles to get there.

If Beaudin is a Tweener and Morrison is a tweener with more offensive upside then shouldn't the edge go to Morrison considering a players offensive production typical dictates their role. Wouldn't that be a sign that Morrison is more likely to reach a top 6 level with his offensive upside? People are wanting to put Morrison in the tweener category because of the unknown, but Beaudin still goes in the same category after being seen a ton. that seems like a good sign to me for Morrison. Why limit the lesser known player? The information we have on Morrison would suggest someone with a real top6 chance. I really don't get why people are so cautious about Morrison. People went nuts about Greer last year, who was much less proven.

I really don't see Beaudin as being safer. It's great that he showed improvement, but it's not like he was one of the leagues elite players. He is also still in Jr and hasn't done anything at the pro level, unlike Martin. He doesn't really have an elite skill that makes you say "that will keep him in the NHL" and he still needs to muscle up and fill out more, which some people have a real problem with. I'm definitely not saying Morrison is likely to make the nhler sooner, but it would not surprise me one but if he did or if Beaudin never makes it.

If we look at Beaudin as a tweener, the higher end of his spectrum, why look at Martin as just a back up, which wouldn't really be the high end of his potential?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
People were not high on Greer this time last year, that's why he was voted in 10th. Like I said, I'm not putting Morrison in the real top 6 chance category. If others see that right now then I understand valuing him higher. FTR I don't even place Greer or Compher in that category now either. I don't know what you'd call elite but I think Beaudin's season still gets discounted a bit, 15th in Q scoring and I believe it was 2nd of his age group is a lot better offensively than I think he gets credit for. He's also one of our best prospects on the defensive side, which I think matters too. Beaudin's elite skill is his hockey IQ. Pickard was 11th two years ago, I'm not saying Martin has a cap on his ceiling but he has a long way to go. Yes he played pro but it's a longer path for goalies and I'd like to see him at least established in the AHL first before really getting a handle on what track he's on.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Voted Martin, Morrisons turn is next.

Add Clurman! He sounds like a really interesting prospect.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know people don't like the Anderson pick (I'm in that group), but I agree, he should be added soon. I've heard a ton of good things about Clurman, but we should all be able to agree he is an extreme unknown.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Clurman is a big question mark, but I think he looked like a standout at development camp. He's not going to be my next pick, or even the one after that, but I can see adding him into the mix at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad