2016 NHL Entry Draft II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Sorry but in no way is goat a top 6 right winger, hes a 3c, call him what he is already.

I doubt jones goes top 10 very much, theres just to many guys playing better, and his ppg really doesn't warrant a top 10 choice tbh. Yes theres more to a player than his ppg of course, but I still dont expect him to be top 10.

Im pretty sure hes talking about julien gauthier. He is ranked around 8-15 on lists and is rising. He is a big player and has 29 goals and 9 assists or something in in 30 games in the Q. He is a rw and is 6 ft 4 225, while being a great skater. He easily has top line potential but 2nd line seems right for what he becomes. He will be a big goal scorer. Laine and him would give us 2 big elite goal scorers in the top 6, add marner and nylander and you got two elite setup man. Next their is any of these guys stamkos, kadri, jvr, kap, brown, or johnson depending on trades, free agency and development. Yeah our Goat will probably be a great 3rd line center if he lives up to his potential

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Im pretty sure hes talking about julien gauthier. He is ranked around 8-15 on lists and is rising. He is a big player and has 29 goals and 9 assists or something in in 30 games in the Q. He is a rw and is 6 ft 4 225, while being a great skater. He easily has top line potential but 2nd line seems right for what he becomes. He will be a big goal scorer. Laine and him would give us 2 big elite goal scorers in the top 6, add marner and nylander and you got two elite setup man. Next their is any of these guys stamkos, kadri, jvr, kap, brown, or johnson depending on trades, free agency and development. Yeah our Goat will probably be a great 3rd line center if he lives up to his potential

ooo ic, I was like...

I know who Julien is, I still dont see how we would get him unless we trade down.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Can someone tell me what it is that Laine or Puljujarvi have done in the last few weeks or months that makes them climbers in the draft ranks? I can see if some think Chychrun is falling, thus leaving a void that has to be taken by someone, or after the WJC, when they will have a real shot at being showcased. I haven't been checking their stats, but are they dominating the FEL?

Puljujarvi is actually going down in the rankings. He was 2nd best player in this draft class last year, but this season has been hard for him. His playing in the best team in the league and their roster is really good. So he will play with good players, but won't have that much ice time and his main focus at the moment is to play solid two way game. Their ultimate goal is to win both FEL and CHL. His coach is really good and his team will always play really structured game and Puljujarvi is in my opinion holding back a little. Easier to make sure you play when you don't take too much risks and play safe. His corsi has been very good all season. 31g 5+7 = 12 +4

Laine started very strong and he was hot right from the start. Then he injured and have struggled a bit since that. His team is 3rd in the league and you could argue that it's pretty spot on in the overall rankings too if you only compare rosters. They have lots of scoring forwards and Laine isn't relied that much at the moment. 24g 8+8 = 16p +2

FEL is low scoring pro league. Game is very structured and you could say there isn't that much skill anymore. Only one player over point per game in top10 scorers. I don't think that Matthews couldn't have scored that much in the FEL. Average finnish player is better than average swiss player and Matthews is relied as top scorer in his team with best foreign players. Laine and Puljujarvi usually play in the 2nd line.

They have played more than before, been with u20 team and played also CHL so there might be some fatigue issues in this point. It's natural their 17yo after all and usually consistency is another problem.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Sorry but in no way is goat a top 6 right winger, hes a 3c, call him what he is already.

I doubt jones goes top 10 very much, theres just to many guys playing better, and his ppg really doesn't warrant a top 10 choice tbh. Yes theres more to a player than his ppg of course, but I still dont expect him to be top 10.

What goat are you talking about?
Freddy the Goat or Julian?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Man, that Ilya Samsonov goalie last year looks pretty legit now, 1.87 gaa and a .930 sv playing in the KHL so far this year. I could see us acquiring a few more picks at the deadline, i'd like to spend a 2nd on Hart, we need a legit goalie prospect around here.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Not sure how to quantify it but if we could go by baseball scouting guidelines I consider Laine a 60-65FV player and Chychrun a 55FV.

I'll take this as a rhetorical question cause the subject has been mentioned in the past. I didn't consider need with the pick just value based on who I thought was better. If I were to target need I might even take McLeod ahead of Chychrun or trade back to get him.

That wouldn't be a terrible move. You're right though, Laine is a cut above the other players, along with Matthews. After the WJC people will see that he's much better than Puljujarvi, but most Finnish posters agree.

Laine is the best Finnish prospect since Selanne. There, I said it.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
That wouldn't be a terrible move. You're right though, Laine is a cut above the other players, along with Matthews. After the WJC people will see that he's much better than Puljujarvi, but most Finnish posters agree.

Where is all this hype coming from? This is what I was getting at on the last page. I don't know how you can hype a 3rd liner in a league 90% of us don't watch. These leagues insulate the young prospects. I really doubt we know what he is until after the WJC.

Personally, I'm excited to get any of these players we're in line to get. I love big D and power forwards.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

is chychrun really that much better then mcleod? im conflicted because we need a top pairing d sooooo badly but mcleod would cement our center situation.

91Kadri91*

Puljujarvi is actually going down in the rankings. He was 2nd best player in this draft class last year, but this season has been hard for him. His playing in the best team in the league and their roster is really good. So he will play with good players, but won't have that much ice time and his main focus at the moment is to play solid two way game. Their ultimate goal is to win both FEL and CHL. His coach is really good and his team will always play really structured game and Puljujarvi is in my opinion holding back a little. Easier to make sure you play when you don't take too much risks and play safe. His corsi has been very good all season. 31g 5+7 = 12 +4

Are Corsi stats for the FEL publicly available? If so, could you send me a link to them?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Where is all this hype coming from? This is what I was getting at on the last page. I don't know how you can hype a 3rd liner in a league 90% of us don't watch. These leagues insulate the young prospects. I really doubt we know what he is until after the WJC.

Agreed.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Through almost 30 games and pre-lottery, we'd have the 2nd overall pick.

Assuming we end up with a top 5 pick, my ten favourite prospects are:

1. Auston Matthews
2. Jakob Chychrun
3. Michael McLeod
4. Jesse Puljujarvi
5. Alexander Nylander
6. Matthew Tkachuk
7. Patrik Laine
8. Pierre-Luc Dubois
9. Clayton Keller
10. Julien Gauthier

Michael McLeod is an absolute beast of a prospect.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Since we're all submitting lists :)

Matthews
Chychrun
Laine
Tkachuk
McLeod
Puljujarrvi
Nylander
Juolevi
Fabbro
Sergachyov

If Pittsburgh makes the playoffs (barely) and gets knocked out in the 1st round the pick could be 15-16th. Don't see Alexander Nylander there though, it is in fact too high. Can hope that Logan Brown manages to fall to us :)

One of Juolevi, Fabbro, Keller, Gauthier and Dubois would be a much better scenario imo.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Through almost 30 games and pre-lottery, we'd have the 2nd overall pick.

Assuming we end up with a top 5 pick, my ten favourite prospects are:

1. Auston Matthews
2. Jakob Chychrun
3. Michael McLeod
4. Jesse Puljujarvi
5. Alexander Nylander
6. Matthew Tkachuk
7. Patrik Laine
8. Pierre-Luc Dubois
9. Clayton Keller
10. Julien Gauthier

Michael McLeod is an absolute beast of a prospect.

McLeod is my pick if we aren't gifted Matthews.
I see a faster Monahan.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
McLeod is my pick if we aren't gifted Matthews.
I see a faster Monahan.

i really like mcleod as well. i think he would give us a pretty good long term center situation. especially if he turns into a monohan type.

jvr nylander brown
johnson mcleod marner

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Laine started very strong and he was hot right from the start. Then he injured and have struggled a bit since that. His team is 3rd in the league and you could argue that it's pretty spot on in the overall rankings too if you only compare rosters. They have lots of scoring forwards and Laine isn't relied that much at the moment. 24g 8+8 = 16p +2

FEL is low scoring pro league. Game is very structured and you could say there isn't that much skill anymore. Only one player over point per game in top10 scorers. I don't think that Matthews couldn't have scored that much in the FEL. Average finnish player is better than average swiss player and Matthews is relied as top scorer in his team with best foreign players. Laine and Puljujarvi usually play in the 2nd line.

They have played more than before, been with u20 team and played also CHL so there might be some fatigue issues in this point. It's natural their 17yo after all and usually consistency is another problem.

I agree with everything you said except about matthews. I really get the feeling people are starting to underrate this guy. He is every bit as good as Eichel, and maybe even better. Him and whoever goes #2 aren't close. At all.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
If we can get Stamkos and Vesey, I won't be too hurt if we miss out on Matthews.

Steven Stamkos
Mitchell Marner
Michael McLeod
William Nylander
James van Riemsdyk
Nazem Kadri
Jimmy Vesey
Connor Brown
Andreas Johnson
Kasperi Kapanen
Frederik Gauthier
Dmytro Timashov
Jeremy Bracco

That's a nice reserve list of forwards to build on over the next half-decade.

Best group of talent up-front we've had in decades.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
i really like mcleod as well. i think he would give us a pretty good long term center situation. especially if he turns into a monohan type.

jvr nylander brown
johnson mcleod marner

That's a very nice top six of skill at key positions all around the same age and on low dollar contracts to begin. Easy to fill solid vets around and our other draft prospects. It's good to start winning with your best players on bargain contracts.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If we can get Stamkos and Vesey, I won't be too hurt if we miss out on Matthews.

Steven Stamkos
Mitchell Marner
Michael McLeod
William Nylander
James van Riemsdyk
Nazem Kadri
Jimmy Vesey
Connor Brown
Andreas Johnson
Kasperi Kapanen
Frederik Gauthier
Dmytro Timashov
Jeremy Bracco

That's a nice reserve list of forwards to build on over the next half-decade.

Best group of talent up-front we've had in decades.
Laine - Stamkos - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Johnson - Kadri - Kapanen
Komarov - Gauthier - Leipsic
-Timashov/Bracco

:yo:

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Dermott
Loov - Nielsen
-Valiev/Percy/Harrington

:help:

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario

Better than Barkov?

91Kadri91*

Alright, so I took the data tracked (to this point) for McLeod from here (you can find the rest of the series by searching Buckeye State Hockey OHL notes into Google; give this guy a follow on twitter, if you have it), and calculated aggregate results. 12 total games have been tracked so far, and here are the results (keep in mind that the data is tracked at 5v5):

58.3 CF% (353 total events)
61 iCorsi
83.33% Controlled Entry Success Rate (!) (85 SuccCtrlEntries; 17 FailedEntries)
83.9% ZoneExit Success Rate (47 Successful ZoneExits; 9 Exit Failures)

There are a few games where passing data was tracked, but only one where passing data was broken down by zone, and successful/unsuccessful attempts were differentiated.

To give some context, I calculated the results for McLeod and Nylander in games (8 total) where both were tracked:

McLeod

60.0 CF% (255 total events)
47 iCorsi
86.5% CtrlEntrySuccess (61 total events)
88.4% ZoneExitSuccess (43 total events)

Nylander

61.2 CF% (242 total events)
29 iCorsi
68.6% CtrlEntrySuccess (51 total events)
92.9% ZoneExitSuccess (28 total events)

Conclusion (albeit based on a small sample): McLeod is really good.

Edit: I corrected the original results (I missed a game), and added the zone-exit data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad