2016 NHL Entry Draft II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Another 2016 Draft Prospect that is just tearing up the stats sheets.. and one of the top players in the West...

Tyson Jost
Forward
Born Mar 17 1998 -- Kelowna, BC
17 yrs. ago
Height 6.00 -- Weight 195

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 Penticton Vees - BCHL
46 Games... 23 Goals... 22 Assists... 45 Points... +6
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 PLAYOFFS
21 Games... 10 Goals... 4 Assists... 14 Points... +6
---------------------------------------------------------------

2015-16 Penticton Vees - BCHL
(*Up to Dec. 15th 2015)
30 Games... 24 Goals...37 Assists... 61 Points... +/- 0 *2PPG+
2015-16 Team White - U18-Dev
3 Games... 1 Goal... 1 Assist... 2 Points... 0
2015-16 Canada West U-19 - WJAC-19
4 Games... 3 Goals...0 Assists... 3 Points... +1

Countdown: Tyson Jost 2015-16 Extended Highlights - 2016 NHL Draft Prospect

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If you have a top 5 pick + many top 90 picks and you need to find both a top line forward and a top line D, you're more likely to do it drafting the forward top 5 than the other way around. Generally. Of course this completely ignored the abilities and preferences of a teams scouting staff.

I think that's fair in a vacuum, historically speaking. But i don't think year to year variation and the abilities and preferences can be ignored.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
..And I have to ask anyone who watches prospects closely, like I do... Can anyone tell me why Sheldon Rempal (Nanaimo Clippers - BCHL) .. isn't signed with any NHL team... and/or why he's not already drafted..? This guy is unbelieveable..!

He's already got seven 2-goal games.., a hat-trick.. and just recently had a FIVE goal game..! He's actually leading the whole WHL right now, in points.. (they just don't seem to have BCHL stats incorprated into the WHL collective stats..?)

Am I missing s something..? Did this kid screw up somewhere in the past, or is he just a dark-horse, late bloomer..?

Dubas and Hunter should be approaching this guy with a good offer..

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Valid points.

Questions for you guys though...

How much of a gap do you think there is between Laine and Chychrun? If any.

Next, what do you think the strength of our prospect pool is?

What is our biggest weakness? Prospect and NHL wise.

To me, even if Laine is a bit better then Chychrun, we still don't have anyone projecting as a top pairing defenseman. Marner looks like he's shaping up to be a top end RW. Beyond that we have Brown, Kapanen, Leivo, Johnson, Timashov in the prospect pool. I think look good in this regard.

Defensive prospects - Percy, Loov, Harrington, Dermott, Valiev, and Nielsen...they look to be 2nd-3rd pairing types.

I disagree. Draft BPA always. Prospects can be traded for equivalent prospects...

What if Laine turned out to be a winger verison of Sundin (Drawing blanks on better comparisons), and Chychrun a Bouwmeester. Give me the winger Sundin any day! :)

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I think that's fair in a vacuum, historically speaking. But i don't think year to year variation and the abilities and preferences can be ignored.

Of course, it's just a general rule of thumb to keep in mind. The available pool of top D is bigger than the available pool of top forwards outside of the 1st round almost without fail, forwards are more predictable in their early development. You get hit with the year-to-year variation in the top 10 mostly. Years like 2008 it's pretty clear that taking a D-man high is your best bet.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
..And I have to ask anyone who watches prospects closely, like I do... Can anyone tell me why Sheldon Rempal (Nanaimo Clippers - BCHL) .. isn't signed with any NHL team... and/or why he's not already drafted..? This guy is unbelieveable..!

He's already got seven 2-goal games.., a hat-trick.. and just recently had a FIVE goal game..! He's actually leading the whole WHL right now, in points.. (they just don't seem to have BCHL stats incorprated into the WHL collective stats..?)

Am I missing s something..? Did this kid screw up somewhere in the past, or is he just a dark-horse, late bloomer..?

BCHL is not a part of the WHL, it's junior A (a step down) where as the dub is Major JUnior. That's why Jost and Fabbro have questions against them and are aberattions, last big one was Turris i believe

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015

BCHL and WHL is a different league silly

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Of course, it's just a general rule of thumb to keep in mind. The available pool of top D is bigger than the available pool of top forwards outside of the 1st round almost without fail, forwards are more predictable in their early development. You get hit with the year-to-year variation in the top 10 mostly. Years like 2008 it's pretty clear that taking a D-man high is your best bet.

see my edit on the previous page

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Yeah, last year was a good example of that. Putting the pieces together it seems like with Marner off the board we're coming away with (speculation) Barzal/Rantanen+Dermott+Meloche instead of Hanifin, without considering the 24th overall (I think we would have picked at 29th+61st still).

Love Marner, but cant say I would have been mad about that.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
BCHL is not a part of the WHL, it's junior A (a step down) where as the dub is Major JUnior. That's why Jost and Fabbro have questions against them and are aberattions, last big one was Turris i believe

Yes.. I know they are separate Leagues.., but there should be some kind of master list of top point scorers.., grouping them all together (age bracket wise) .., imo..., justr foir refernce..

BCHL and WHL is a different league silly

Thanks.. I understand this already..., but am still perplexed a bit, because this Rempal kid might be better than a lot of scouts and others think he is.., so he could be a steal for us... (and is already 20..)

For those interested:

SHELDON REMPAL

Current Team: Nanaimo Clippers
Committed To: Clarkson (NCAA Div. I)
Committed For: 2016-17
Jersey Number: 11
Position: F
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 170
Hometown: Calgary, Alberta
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: August 7, 1995 (20 years)

2015-16 Nanaimo Clippers - BCHL
(*Up to Dec. 15th 2015)
34 Games... 37 Goals...35 Assists... 72 Points... +/- 0 *2PPG+

Last edited:

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
see my edit on the previous page

Oh yeah ok I missed Ellington in the Subban year. I was really only comparing the first D taken, the point being that you'd only end up with Doughty-Hedman as #1 D, with Gudbranson and Hickey being relative disappointments. Is it worth risking a #2 pick when you have much safer odds of taking a top line forward in that slot? Using the shotgun approach on D after the mid-first has a better expected return than doing the same thing with forwards. If you ran the top 5 forwards in the first vs the second round, you'd have a significantly bigger gap than with the D.

Again, if your head scout is convinced that the D at #2 is 100% your guy, you go with that, but all other things being equal, taking a forward high in the draft and several defensemen later on is the best long term strategy. Picks outside the top 5 start to get debatable.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yes.. I know they are separate Leagues.., but there should be some kind of master list of top point scorers.., grouping them all together (age bracket wise) .., imo..., justr foir refernce..

Thanks.. I understand this already..., but am still perplexed a bit, because this Rempal kid might be better than a lot of scouts and others think he is.., so he could be a steal for us... (and is already 20..)

But that list would be meaningless as they're completely different levels of play.
This rempal kid might be worth a flyer or emerge as a UFA prospect while at school a la Bozak, its not unheard of. But the NCAA and CIS are literally littered with players that played their 5 years of junior A/B and lit it up as 19/20 year olds.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If Rempal was in the WHL he would be considered an overager being 20 years old already and among the older players in the Dub this year. So he would be 3 years older than many draft eligible players who are currently 17.

He was however never drafted into the WHL as a bantam player previous so his rights are not owned by any WHL team. He has also been passed through multiple NHL entry drafts being a 1995 born player. He is also 5-10/170 lbs so his size has been a factor in his status and situation.

He is committed to going to Clarkson University NCAA next year.

Unlike players like Jost and Fabbro who also play in the BCJHL they're highly regarded prospects and rights owned by Everett and Seattle of the WHL, but only playing in Tier II junior B to maintain the NCAA College eligibility. Both could easily be playing in the WHL this year if they wanted to.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Oh yeah ok I missed Ellington in the Subban year. I was really only comparing the first D taken, the point being that you'd only end up with Doughty-Hedman as #1 D, with Gudbranson and Hickey being relative disappointments. Is it worth risking a #2 pick when you have much safer odds of taking a top line forward in that slot? Using the shotgun approach on D after the mid-first has a better expected return than doing the same thing with forwards. If you ran the top 5 forwards in the first vs the second round, you'd have a significantly bigger gap than with the D.

Again, if your head scout is convinced that the D at #2 is 100% your guy, you go with that, but all other things being equal, taking a forward high in the draft and several defensemen later on is the best long term strategy. Picks outside the top 5 start to get debatable.

Think about those years where Gudbranson and Hickey were the first Dmen drafted: Would I rather have Thomas Hickey versus ALL or ANY of 3 guys I've never heard of and 2 guys I only know because they played in the Leafs system, yes I would. Would I rather have Gudbranson versus a 2/5 chance to land Faulk and Merrill (and I guess Petrovic)? Probably, yes.

I can see your point if you don't have the opportunity to select the top defenseman, who are generally considered to be top pairing guys, but if the Leafs have the #2 pick they'd really have to consider it given the depth (or lack thereof) of our organization in the 1-3 D spot. Especially when this kid is considered to be Nextblad.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Think about those years where Gudbranson and Hickey were the first Dmen drafted: Would I rather have Thomas Hickey versus ALL or ANY of 3 guys I've never heard of and 2 guys I only know because they played in the Leafs system, yes I would. Would I rather have Gudbranson versus a 2/5 chance to land Faulk and Merrill (and I guess Petrovic)? Probably, yes.

I can see your point if you don't have the opportunity to select the top defenseman, who are generally considered to be top pairing guys, but if the Leafs have the #2 pick they'd really have to consider it given the depth (or lack thereof) of our organization in the 1-3 D spot. Especially when this kid is considered to be Nextblad.

The question is more Seguin + 2/5 chance of Faulk/Merril or Gudbranson + 1/10 chance of Toffoli?

I won't be disappointed with Chychrun if that's who we end up with, if he can hit his upside we'd be set on D. The shoulder injury on a physical defenseman and just-good offense does raise some questions though.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Valid points.

Questions for you guys though...

How much of a gap do you think there is between Laine and Chychrun? If any.

Not sure how to quantify it but if we could go by baseball scouting guidelines I consider Laine a 60-65FV player and Chychrun a 55FV.

Next, what do you think the strength of our prospect pool is?

What is our biggest weakness? Prospect and NHL wise.

I'll take this as a rhetorical question cause the subject has been mentioned in the past. I didn't consider need with the pick just value based on who I thought was better. If I were to target need I might even take McLeod ahead of Chychrun or trade back to get him.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Marner and Strome didn't even get invites to last years team and went #4 and #3 overall.

Lawson Crouse made the team, won a gold medal for Canada and went 11th overall.

I don't believe its a clear cut as you make it out to be as Chychrun is only 17 and most of the Dmen that will make the team are 19 or close to it.

As I said, it doesn't hurt them in the sense that they did anything wrong, its just that playing well at the WJC has historically caused players to rise significantly in the rankings. Puljiarvi wasn't on the map at all really until people saw how good he was at the WJC last year, he was big strong and dominant as a 16 year old.

The knock on crouse was always his offensive production, less than ppg at the chl level for a top 15 forward is a red flag, undoubtedly leading to his slide to 11.

The bottom line is that good WJC performances do wonders, absolute wonders for rankings, if puljarvi/laine/nylander/thackuk have great tournies they will blow by Chychrun in the rankings.

Theres to many question marks with Chychrun's health and offensive production to pencil him in as #2 overall, he will slide.

I would argue that seth jones was better at his age than Chyrchun was in terms of being more polished and offensively elite, and he certainly slid a few spots. Chychrun hasn't done anything that makes him a fixture at number 2 overall, whereas the others will should they have strong tournies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure how to quantify it but if we could go by baseball scouting guidelines I consider Laine a 60-65FV player and Chychrun a 55FV.

I'll take this as a rhetorical question cause the subject has been mentioned in the past. I didn't consider need with the pick just value based on who I thought was better. If I were to target need I might even take McLeod ahead of Chychrun or trade back to get him.

I'm clueless on basketball.

I think Chychrun would be a better pick then McLeod - higher upside top pairing (downside 2nd pairing guy or obviously busting) defenseman versus 2nd line centre (downside 3rd line centre or obviously busting).

But if you have Laine and Chychrun there as options, let's say you think Laine is a better player, maybe not by much but he's the better player.

Needs wise - team needs a top pairing defenseman much more then a top line winger.

Then again, we may simply have different views on our needs and players and we can't do much about that.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
See I disagree. If we get the 2 in this scenario I take Chychurn and Fabbro.
In one draft you become almost set at the D position long term with Fabbro, Chych, Reilly, Gardiner, Dermott etc. Even if both Chych and Fabbro top out as #3 guys, you have a great top 6 D, and build around Nylander Marner etc. in the forward core.

I think most likely is if we draft Chych we take a C like Brown with our second pick. His skill set screams #2C with size and skill, someone you can put a smaller guy on his wings and not be afraid of being bullied, and gives you a big guy on both lines (assume we keep JVR)

It comes down to how you view Laine vs Chychrun. Right now, based on my limited viewings of Chychrun, I have some reservations about him. I question if he is dynamic enough offensively to warrant the 2nd overall slot. I have no issues drafting D that high, even 1st overall, but right now I'm just not seeing it with Chychrun.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Why do you think he's the clear cut #2 pick though?

He has an elite NHL level shot aready, skates well for a 6"4 man, has sweet hands,good offensive instincts and compliments it with a power forwards like game as well. Aside from Matthews, he might have the highest ceiling in the draft, and is a guy who if need be can come into the NHL next year. Chychrun also seems to be really injury prone (bad shoulder perhaps?) which is a worry for a man child playing in juniors.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It comes down to how you view Laine vs Chychrun. Right now, based on my limited viewings of Chychrun, I have some reservations about him. I question if he is dynamic enough offensively to warrant the 2nd overall slot. I have no issues drafting D that high, even 1st overall, but right now I'm just not seeing it with Chychrun.

Yep.

It's a lot easier to predict how offensive ability will translate to the pros Han defensive abilities. I'm wary of taking defencemen in the top 5/10 who aren't incredibly dynamic offensively, since I often think the more "defensive" guys actually have lower ceilings than expected. And with a top 5/10 pick you really need to maximize your probability of drafting top line talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad