2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - June 24,25 - Leafs 7 weeks to 1st. Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
I'm with you. Nobody knew the NLA existed. In fact, are we really sure it actually does exist? Perhaps people have just made up Matthews too?

Boy, we should really not draft him. It would be embarrassing if it turned out he didn't even exist.

I'm just waiting for someone to name some good players out of the Swiss League.

Why is it so hard?

I think we all know the answer to that, no matter how hard you try and avoid it.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Did you really just say if you're 25 you're automatically better than a teenager?

Do you think it's simpler to play against a league of men in a pro game compared to a league full of 16-17 and 18 year olds where more than half of the competition are physically just boys in a contact sport?

Maybe you should go watch some HC Davos games. That team could give this years Stanley cup champ whomever it will be a run for there money in a 7 game series.

You'll be surprised to know that the pro games in Europe are no joke. 90% of the jr players couldn't play in them including the Swiss league.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Do you think it's simpler to play against a league of men in a pro game compared to a league full of 16-17 and 18 year olds where more than half of the competition are physically just boys in a contact sport?

Maybe you should go watch some HC Davos games. That team could give this years Stanley cup champ whomever it will be a run for there money in a 7 game series.

You'll be surprised to know that the pro games in Europe are no joke. 90% of the jr players couldn't play in them including the Swiss league.

Swiss League much tougher than junior hockey. Or US college hockey.
But I am pretty sure Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh or St. Louis would carve through HC Davos like a hot knife through butter.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005

Our Juniors come in as teenagers and play against grown men and outplay them in all departments, including physicality. In the best league in the world.

Not all players can crack the NHL, so they go play elsewhere.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'm just waiting for someone to name some good players out of the Swiss League.

Why is it so hard?

I think we all know the answer to that, no matter how hard you try and avoid it.

Roman Josi isn't too bad. Mark Streit had an okay career. That's about it.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
^
Article does make a fair point. Matthews is going to be one of the most complete and skilled centermen we've had in a very long time. The pure value of that is too much for the Leafs to do anything but take Matthews.

Just no way to ignore someone with that kind of offensive ability, defensive responsibility, size, and work ethic. Even if Laine ends up long term scoring more goals (which may not even be that much more considering Matthews can darn well shoot), the overall value of Matthews as a player is just higher.

I'm ok with going that route and letting Winnipeg have the winger.
LOL are you serious? LOl my god,
Credit deserved to Shaker....it took a lot of guts to say something that ridiculous.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
How old you are??? you sound like 12

Old enough to recognize how you're trying to derail this conversation cause I put you on the spot and you still cannot answer what I'm asking.

Actually it's becoming more and more obvious the more you post.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Credit deserved to Shaker....it took a lot of guts to say something that ridiculous.

I wish it did.

Nowadays, people are unperturbed about flaunting ignorance.

Old enough to recognize how you're trying to derail this conversation cause I put you on the spot and you still cannot answer what I'm asking.

Actually it's becoming more and more obvious the more you post.

That every single poster that comes in here reacts the same way should be clue enough. But you don't deserve the ridicule, it's a bit too much now.

I'll just keep it short. Marner is destroying the best junior leagues by twice the PPG that Tavares got when he played in NLA during the lockout.

It's a league at the same level as AHL, or thereabout.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Our Juniors come in as teenagers and play against grown men and outplay them in all departments, including physicality. In the best league in the world.

Not all players can crack the NHL, so they go play elsewhere.

What % of that? Don't make it sound like ALL of the CHL is comparable to go and play the pro ranks. The Swiss league is a tough league and the hockey that get's played there is way above jr hockey.

Do you watch The Spengler Cup at all? The quality hockey & competiveness that gets played is further a head of the worldjr's let alone the CHL... Jr hockey is made up of boys. There's no comparing what's tougher that's why Matthews went to the Swiss league in the first place. FOR TOUGHER COMPETITION TO IMPROVE.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
What % of that? Don't make it sound like ALL of the CHL is comparable to go and play the pro ranks. The Swiss league is a tough league and the hockey that get's played there is way above jr hockey.

Do you watch The Spengler Cup at all? The quality hockey & competiveness that gets played is further a head of the worldjr's let alone the CHL... Jr hockey is made up of boys. There's no comparing what's tougher that's why Matthews went to the Swiss league in the first place. FOR TOUGHER COMPETITION TO IMPROVE.

No real superstars in their prime play in the Spengler cup, or prospects for that matter.

Don't underestimate the boys in Junior. They been holding their own amongst men.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Swiss League much tougher than junior hockey. Or US college hockey.
But I am pretty sure Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh or St. Louis would carve through HC Davos like a hot knife through butter.

They should win with out a doubt that's why I said "Give them a run for there money";) but when the Swiss beat Canada at the Turin Olympics 2-0 when Canada was loaded with the best it could offer, lets just agree that the Swiss league deserves just a tad bit more respect than this guy is claiming the CHL is a better brand of hockey than it. ;)

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
No real superstars in their prime play in the Spengler cup, or prospects for that matter.

Don't underestimate the boys in Junior. They been holding their own amongst men.

CHL junior hockey is made up of predominately players who will never play pro hockey, in any league. i.e., in the AHL, KHL, Swiss League, Swedish Elite League.. The vast majority will end up in Canadian University hockey or stop playing altogether.

So I'm not sure how you can say that junior hockey is in any way comparable when most of the players in junior hockey will never actually play in most of the leagues you are saying are in some way comparable or inferior. That's before we even discuss that pro hockey players are bigger, stronger, and faster than players in junior hockey because they are, indeed, older, bigger, stronger, and faster. The jump from major junior (which is the best hockey in the world for that specific age group of players) to pro hockey in most leagues is substantial. The game is played differently. It is more nuanced but with tighter defensive systems. There isn't as much room to make plays, and they have to be made more quickly. It is more physical.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

What men? jr hockey is full of boys.

Underestimate the boys in JR :help: like I said the majority of them just throwing out a number of 90% couldn't play in the Swiss league. They would be..... wait for it..... playing in the Swiss jr league.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This is what people say when they have nothing to debate with.

Besides Mathews, name me some notable talent in the Swiss League?

It's well documented what's in the Juniors.

That's what someone says when there is no debate at all. To my earlier point, you're not just over-thinking, your opinions on this matter leads the reasonable to believe you're hallucinating.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Do you know any notable players in the Swiss League he played against?

Whoa, didnt mean to start a fire here. All I meant to say is that they are leagues of similar talent levels and Matthews was 1.28 PPG compared to Laine's .72 PPG.

The only one ahead of Matthews in PPG in the NLA was Pierre Marc Bouchard (who has sadly announced his retirement at only age 32 due to health issues) but scored over 350 points in the NHL. There are scattered names you will recognize in both the NLA and Liiga. Another young player Martin Reway had a good year (over PPG) and I'm hoping he'll make the jump to the NHL soon.

No need to get bent outta shape over this.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Joe Thornton had 54 pts in 40 games in the Swiss league. Pat Kane had 23 in 20. Duchene 5 in 4. Anyone care to hazard a guess at their junior stats?

Can we stop with this silliness now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad