Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd do it and I would add the #43 as well. I too think Hartnell would be a great addition on top of Pulju. That is an extra 20+ goals for a Cap/Expansion Draft dump.

If the rumors are correct, however, Columbus really wants Logan Brown. Might require a bit more creativity. For example:

#13 + #21 for #5
Then
#5 + #43 + #67 for #3 + Hartnell

Again, this is assuming that Columbus absolutely wants Logan Brown as some reports suggest (As opposed to them just not being sold on Puljujarvi).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't think Jarmo is trying to move the #3 pick because of any prospect, but I think it def has to do with shedding some of the horrendous contracts he's doled out.

Hartnell and the #3 for the #13 and #21. Would anyone do that deal? I would.

Plus Hartnell eats up an expansion draft slot

I'd do it...Columbus won't, though. They want a center and we can't give them one nor will they get the center they are looking for with our picks. The closest we can do to tempt them would be:

Hartnell, Clarkson, and #3 for #13 and #21. And that Clarkson contract is probably too poisonous for Ron Francis to take.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I wouldn't do that deal. I have no interest in taking on Hartnell's contract... and certainly have no interest in taking on Clarkson. If we take on Clarkson, they don't get #21.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wouldn't do that deal. I have no interest in taking on Hartnell's contract... and certainly have no interest in taking on Clarkson. If we take on Clarkson, they don't get #21.

Hartnell's situation is actually better than Bickell as he is still fairly effective, though a longer contract. We could easily fit him into the lineup. Clarkson is just awful and a big dump. I think the CBJ GM is on record as saying they won't use the 3rd as a cap dump situation, so I think any of these proposals is moot.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
If you're trying to make this apples-to-apples, Haydn Fleury (at this point) and Bryan McCabe (at that point) are on different planes. McCabe was an established NHLer who could do it all. Frankly, I'm thinking Faulk is the most accurate comparative in terms of what the Hurricanes have to offer.

I'd be cool with the 1st trade, but there's a flaw with the 2nd one, which effects the 3rd one. The Oilers need a RHD, and there's no way they're giving up the 4th for a LHD where they're already set. I'd love to have both Finns though.

I didn't want to have to give up any of our current core but I'd insist on them taking on Fleury, or Pesce, if they really wanted a RHD, before Faulk. However, we did see how well Slavin stepped up when Faulk went down so I wouldn't be opposed to trading Faulk for the No. 4 overall pick. If that's the case, then Edmonton is likely adding next year's 1st round pick and not us.

Last edited:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Hartnell's situation is actually better than Bickell as he is still fairly effective, though a longer contract. We could easily fit him into the lineup. Clarkson is just awful and a big dump. I think the CBJ GM is on record as saying they won't use the 3rd as a cap dump situation, so I think any of these proposals is moot.

I disagree, Bickell is only for one season. If he sucks, he's gone, there's no long term commitment. With Hartnell, yeah, he'd likely be okay for this year, but at 34 and with the way he plays, it's inevitable that his body is going to shut down. That contract is an albatross waiting to happen, almost like Bickell.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I wouldn't do it simply because I don't think Puljujarvi is going to be particularly good.

Edit: Also and because I agree with the idea that Hartnell is going to be an albatross contract soon.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Hartnell is owed 12.5 over next 3. Only 3m in year 3. One of those dollars less than cap situations. Still could be bad, but for a guy coming off a 49pt season, less terrible than at first glance.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Jesse Poolparty is a risk for sure. He reminds me a bit of the way people viewed Draisaitl in his draft year. Patrick Laine gives me Marian Hossa vibes. I think Matthew Tkachuk will end up being better than Poolparty. Tkachuk has been maligned for his linemates everywhere he has played so far and it's a shame he didn't get to show that he's highly productive on his own.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So, my day of the draft mock draft:

1 Toronto - C Auston Matthews - the obvious pick here, as good as Laine is as a prospect there's just no way they're passing on Matthews.

2 Winterpeg - LW Patrik Laine - again, the obvious pick here. Probably the most hyped wing prospect since Kane.

3 Columbus - LW Jesse Puljujarvi - I think they try to trade the pick here, but I don't think they get what they're looking for in an offer. Pul is the obvious pick here for whoever makes it.

4 Edmonton - D Olli Juolevi - OK let's be real here, we all know this is the Oilers and expect them to keep on keeping on with forwards at the high slots and an ECHL level defense. And under the prior regime I'd agree 100%. I think they finally do something smart and go D here.

5 Vancouver - C Piere-Luc Dubois - Arguably BPA here (some might say Tkachuk) and looks to slot in nicely as their #1C long term.

6 Calgary - LW Matthew Tkachuk - BPA. Flames could use everything but goaltending long term anyway so BPA all day here.

7 Arizona - D Jacob Chychrun - Yotes D is a mess long-term after the way Gormley busted and their forwards are excellent long-term. The only question I have here is Chychrun or Sergachyev.

8 Buffalo - D Mikhail Sergachyev - Their D group actually could use a little work despite how loaded their prospect pool is overall, in steps the last of the top tier dmen. Though Bean could also be an option here, but Buffalo hasn't shied away from the Russian factor in the past.

9 Montreal - C Logan Brown - They've been so desperate for a big, projectable #1C in Montreal for so long now that I can't see them passing on Brown here.

10 Colorado - D Jake Bean - Best of the next tier of dmen here, and Colorado needs to rebuild their D long-term big time.

11 New Jersey - LW Alex Nylander - Keller could get some play here as well but I think the Devils look to take the BPA here.

12 Ottawa - C Clayton Keller - Fit and BPA. Sens don't have a lot of high-end offensive guys in the prospect pool long-term right now, and Keller is absolutely dynamic in that regard.

13 Carolina - C Tyson Jost - Fit and BPA.

14 Boston - D Charlie McAvoy - Local at BU so no doubt the Bruins brass got plenty of chances to see him play this past year. Probably the safest of this years D to be a top 4 guy IMHO.

15 Minnesota - C Michael McLeod - Simple BPA pick here, though Bellows could be of interest as well.

16 Detroit - W Kieffer Bellows - BPA. Might consider Kunin here as well IMHO.

17 Nashville - D Dante Fabbro - BPA, Nashville's system doesn't really want for anything right now so he just makes sense here.

18 Philly - LW Max Jones - Flyers are loaded on D and down the middle, a bit light on the wings. Jones is simply the best guy here to fit that positional need... or Gauthier, doesn't really matter which of the two I see them going with wing here.

19 Brooklyn - C Luke Kunin - BPA

20 Arizona - D Kale Clague - A lot of different directions this pick could go, but again I see the Yotes taking care of their back end this draft long-term. They'll start going forward heavy from here. Wouldn't be surprised to see them try to package this pick and their other first to try to trade up with Edmonton or CBS. Could see Rubstov as well here.

21 Carolina - RW Julien Gauthier - prototypical scoring PF and likely BPA (aside from maybe Rubstov) of those left in the draft.

22 Winnipeg - C German Rubstov - BPA

23 Florida - LW Riley Tufte - BPA, a bit of a project but Florida has the depth to make it work for him.

24 Anaheim - C Rasmus Asplund - BPA, and Anaheim's center prospects are actually a bit thin.

25 Dallas - LW Alex DeBrincat - Total boom or bust pick here but still probably BPA. Could see our first goalie go off the board at this pick IMHO.

26 Washington - D Logan Stanley - project pick but Washington has the depth to give him the time he needs to develop.

27 Tampa - D Libor Hajek - BPA on a team with no needs as things stand right now.

28 St Louis - LW Vitali Abramov - Positional need for the Blues and an injection of high skill level make this a weird but fairly strong pick IMHO.

29 Boston - C Brett Howden - BPA here, though could see Thompson

30 Anaheim - LW Tage Thompson - Ducks could use some help up front long-term, but still have the depth and time to give Thompson a chance to become what he could.

FWIW I see us taking Koukannen at #43, D at #67, and probably a goalie with one of our other 3rds.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Today is the day! :popcorn: :towel:

I know a lot of people want to move up, but the Canes are in a good position to get one of Jost or Keller and then add one of the power forwards Gauthier or Jones as a project in the later rounds.

If Jost and Keller are gone, I wonder if the Canes trade down and let someone take one of the D men instead.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I know a lot of people want to move up, but the Canes are in a good position to get one of Jost or Keller and then add one of the power forwards Gauthier or Jones as a project in the later rounds.

If Jost and Keller are gone, I wonder if the Canes trade down and let someone take one of the D men instead.

Take Bellows if they are gone.

He's scored at the pace of Patrick Kane. That's a scoring touch we need.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

For me:

Chychrun > Sergachev > Bellows > Rubstov > McLeod > Juolevi

If Chychrun or Sergachev falls to #13 I would first try to trade the pick straight up for a forward. If that isn't available then try to drop back a couple spots for an early 2nd or 1st next year. If no good deal was to be had then I'd just take the D.

I totally agree with Dave's draft though. I think one of Jost or Keller drops to the Canes at #13 by way of a 4th (and maybe 5th) D going before the Canes pick. Rubstov is a real wildcard for me, I could see him or Max Jones going before or at the Canes pick. All of his scouting reports scream Bill Peters and there may be an extra offensive gear that shakes out when he moves to the CHL.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah Rubstov's a VERY intriguing player to me and if we get Bellows at #13 then I'd be 100% onboard with taking a flyer at him at #21, provided that Kunin's not still on the board of course.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Dave - I like your draft day mock - I've been tracking guys and here's my ranking (not a mock just a ranking):

1 Matthews
2 Laine
3 Puljujarvi
4 Tkachuk
5 Dubois
6 Juolevi
7 Nylander
8 Brown
9 Sergachyov
10 Keller
11 Chychrun
12 Jost
13 McLeod
14 Bellows
15 Bean
16 McAvoy
17 Fabbro
18 Kunin
19 Rubtsov
20 Jones
21 Gauthier
22 DeBrincat
23 Tufte
24 Howden
25 Asplund
26 Abramov
27 Laberge
28 Stanley
29 Clague
30 Benson

If things panned out according to my rankings we end up with McLeod and Gauthier which would be a very nice draft - a safe pick and a wild card pick. Personally, I'd probably select Bellows if things played out according to my rankings. I like Gauthier more than most and think he'll be a fine NHLer. But the safer solid pick (if we get an explosive Bellows) would be Howden. Still one of Gauthier or Tufte would be hard to pass up. If we did go safe with the 1st pick then one of Abramov, DeBrincat, or Tufte would be my second pick (cause Gauthier is likely to be gone anyway).

At #43 I've got Mascherin ranked in that position and I like that pick. I find it hard to believe that Kuokkanen will be there at #67 (even though my rankings have him in the mid-70s) and I believe he is an Aho-esque type of prospect, so I'd pick him over Mascherin unless I knew for a fact that he'd make it to #67.

I see us taking at least 1 defender with those 1st six picks and GMRF may surprise us and snag a netminder too (although I think there are some boom or bust options there much later in the draft). Personally if Lucas Johansson is still on the board at #43, I have a very hard time not taking him as he's going to be a star IMO.

Overall, in the 1st 3 rounds I could see us selecting:

Bellows (LW)
Gauthier (RW)
Kuokkanen (Mascherin if Janne is gone) (C)
Givani Smith (RW)
Lajoie (LD)
Joey Anderson (RW)

In one draft we take care of our depth at right wing. :yo:

There are other guys that I like at some of these spots as well. I've got Jordan Sambrook high on my sleeper list (RD) and have him slotted as our 4th round selection.

In the end, if we use all of our picks (unlikely), I believe we end up with 5 forwards, 3 defenders, and a goalie. If, as I believe, we use a pick or two in a trade, I think we come out of the draft with 4 forwards, 2 defenders, and a goalie - plus one or two NHL-ready or near ready players.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Two workout warriors in McLeod and Gauthier... I can definitely see it. Especially if Peters has a say. Any team that isn't oozing skill needs guys that are putting in hard work every shift. Those two bring it.

Kuokkanen makes too much sense in the 2nd. So many parallels to Aho and the Canes have to have more info than most on him. I'm also a big fan of Mascherin, his shot is right up there with Bellows and he has a hint of that Domi tank build (albeit less nasty).

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
For me:

Chychrun > Sergachev > Bellows > Rubstov > McLeod > Juolevi

If Chychrun or Sergachev falls to #13 I would first try to trade the pick straight up for a forward. If that isn't available then try to drop back a couple spots for an early 2nd or 1st next year. If no good deal was to be had then I'd just take the D.

I totally agree with Dave's draft though. I think one of Jost or Keller drops to the Canes at #13 by way of a 4th (and maybe 5th) D going before the Canes pick. Rubstov is a real wildcard for me, I could see him or Max Jones going before or at the Canes pick. All of his scouting reports scream Bill Peters and there may be an extra offensive gear that shakes out when he moves to the CHL.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Keller or Jost were available. I have a feeling, however, I think New Jersey and Ottawa take them at 11 and 12.

For reference, here is my list.

1 Toronto - C Auston Matthews
2 Winnipeg - LW Patrik Laine
3 Columbus - LW Jesse Puljujarvi
4 Edmonton - LW Matthew Tkachuk
5 Vancouver - LW Pierre-Luc Dubois
6 Calgary - RW Alex Nylander
7 Arizona – D Olli Juolevi
8 Buffalo - D Mikhail Sergachyev
9 Montreal - C Logan Brown
10 Colorado - D Jacob Chychrun
11 New Jersey - C Clayton Keller
12 Ottawa - C Tyson Jost
13 Carolina - RW Kieffer Bellows
14 Boston - D Charlie McAvoy
15 Minnesota – C Michael McLeod
16 Detroit – D Jake Bean
17 Nashville - D Dante Fabbro
18 Philly - RW Julien Gauthier
19 Islanders – LW Riley Tufte
20 Arizona - RW Luke Kunin
21 Carolina – LW Max Jones
22 Winnipeg – D Libor Hajek
23 Florida - C German Rubstov
24 Anaheim – C Brett Howden
25 Dallas - LW Alex DeBrincat
26 Washington - D Logan Stanley
27 Tampa – RW Nathan Bastian
28 St Louis - LW Vitali Abramov
29 Boston - C Tage Thompson
30 Anaheim - C Rasmus Asplund

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I predict that if the Canes pass on Tufte at 21 for a player 6'0 or under, someone on this board loses their ****. And 75% of Facebook.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So are you guys sold on Jost if he's there? I get nervous given the league he came from. Not saying you can't get good players from that league, but makes me nervous (I say this with seeing very little of him).

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So are you guys sold on Jost if he's there? I get nervous given the league he came from. Not saying you can't get good players from that league, but makes me nervous (I say this with seeing very little of him).

I agree with you 100%. I prefer Bellows, if both are on the board.

Jost has second-line, leadership written all over him to me. McLeod, too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I can see that. To me his U-18 did a LOT to silence any concerns I had on that front. He was just flat out dominant offensively there even outscoring the US trio that ripped it up there (Keller, Yamamoto, Brown).

Speaking of Yamamoto there's a guy to keep your eye on for next year. Undersized but he's just barely not eligible for this years draft and was wrecking **** up in Spokane. His height is the biggest reason some people don't have him on that Nolan Patrick tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad