Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Columbus has received 10 "really good" offers for the 3rd overall pick, and I'm guessing RF proposed one of them to reunite the Team Finland WJC line since there's a high probability of it happening considering we have 1 out of the 3 key pieces, I did some research and here's what I came up with.

1. Jackets-Canes (No. 3 overall for Nos. 13, 21, and 43 overall)

-When I proposed this on the trade board, Jackets fans were reluctant to make that trade but if we absorbed one of their bad contracts, they might not be as opposed to it. They only have ~$6.5 million in cap space which won't be enough to match if somebody offer sheets Seth Jones.

I came up with this value by looking at recent NHL draft pick value charts. According to those, both of our 1st's and our 2nd would be enough for Columbus' 1st.

Onto the next Sedin twin so to speak...

2. Oilers-Canes (No. 4 overall for Haydn Fleury and 2017 1st)

In 1999, the Canucks received the No. 4 overall pick from the Blackhawks for Bryan McCabe and their future 2000 1st round pick.

3. Jets-Canes (No. 2 overall for Nos. 4, 67, 74, and 75 overall)

The Canucks received the No. 1 overall pick from the Lightning in exchange for Nos. 4, 75, and 88. After that they traded the No. 1 overall pick to Waddell's Thrashers for the No. 2 overall pick. A conditional 3rd round pick was sent one way or the other as a part of the deal as well and the rest was history.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So I was reading a post about Vesey on the Bruins board, and there was 1 poster that gave some insight and virtually every Bruins poster took it as gospel, as apparently, the guy doesn't post often but is known to have very inside sources. I clicked on his post history and found this one to be interesting regarding last year's draft. I know we all suspected these type of discussions were occurring, but very interesting none the less.

As for the b's 3 first round draft picks, you will never see it in print, but the B's came away from the draft very disappointed. They never had any intention of using all 3 picks. They only wanted to use 1. they had a deal lined up with Carolina days ahead of the draft, that Carolina pulled 5 minutes before their pick. They also had a trade agreed upon for Patrick Sharp(with other moving parts), but Sharp would not agree to go to Boston.

If true, I wonder if the Canes were willing to trade the pick because they assumed Hanifin wouldn't be there at 5, then when he was, they decided to make the pick. I'm sure that's who Boston would have wanted at the spot. I'm happy with the Hanifin pick, but hindsight being 20/20, it's enticing to imagine 3 of Barzal, Conner, Boeser, Koenecky, etc... in the Canes system (assuming those are the guys they would take, which isn't a given). Of course, the Canes also didn't know Slavin would jump in and do what he did this year either. Fun to speculate though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So I was reading a post about Vesey on the Bruins board, and there was 1 poster that gave some insight and virtually every Bruins poster took it as gospel, as apparently, the guy doesn't post often but is known to have very inside sources. I clicked on his post history and found this one to be interesting regarding last year's draft. I know we all suspected these type of discussions were occurring, but very interesting none the less.

If true, I wonder if the Canes were willing to trade the pick because they assumed Hanifin wouldn't be there at 5, then when he was, they decided to make the pick. I'm sure that's who Boston would have wanted at the spot. I'm happy with the Hanifin pick, but hindsight being 20/20, it's enticing to imagine 3 of Barzal, Conner, Boeser, Koenecky, etc... in the Canes system (assuming those are the guys they would take, which isn't a given). Of course, the Canes also didn't know Slavin would jump in and do what he did this year either. Fun to speculate though.

If they had the deal lined up, everyone knew Hanifin would be there. My guess would be Francis learned someone else they expected to be there when the Bruins picked probably wasn't going to be there. Or maybe Francis just wanted to make Sweeney look like a pylon for old times sake.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If they had the deal lined up, everyone knew Hanifin would be there. My guess would be Francis learned someone else they expected to be there when the Bruins picked probably wasn't going to be there. Or maybe Francis just wanted to make Sweeney look like a pylon for old times sake.

I was thinking that on the 1st part as well since that makes sense, but am not so sure seeing how it played out. Maybe RF was just hedging his bets a little to keep options open, thinking "Ok, I'll get the principal of a deal in place because I don't think Hanifin will be there, but won't pull the trigger until I see for sure." Or maybe they were on the fence all along and weren't going to decide until the final moment?

RE: the second part, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me though. I mean, until you got to the Boston picks, there weren't a whole lot of big surprises in 1-12. Crouse, Rantanen, Werenski, Provorov, Zacha and maybe even Meier were all projected to go before Boston's first pick, so RF really couldn't be making a trade assuming those guys would be there (except for maybe Meier). Granted, we don't know what GM's think as we have to go off of what the "pundits" put out there.

Anyhow, interesting tidbit and discussion.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Judging by what they did with those picks, it was quite obvious they were unprepared to use them. I remember Boston was rumored to desperately want in the top 5, but I remember most of the rumors were with trades with Arizona. Also judging by that quote, they weren't giving up all 3 picks for Hanifin, just 2 (unless I misread it). That was idiotic on their part trading Hamilton/Lucic for mid-picks, and expecting to still make the playoffs.

I think they did the right thing by drafting Hanifin, and if we land a Bellows/Jost/Keller somehow, I think any of those three are just as good if not better than any one of Barzal/Conner/Boeser/Konecky.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

In 1999, the Canucks received the No. 4 overall pick from the Blackhawks for Bryan McCabe and their future 2000 1st round pick.

If you're trying to make this apples-to-apples, Haydn Fleury (at this point) and Bryan McCabe (at that point) are on different planes. McCabe was an established NHLer who could do it all. Frankly, I'm thinking Faulk is the most accurate comparative in terms of what the Hurricanes have to offer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Francis has been collecting Finns lately. Puljujarvi would certainly be another "impact top-6 forward" and at RW to boot.

I still think the cost would be Lindholm + #13 and that is only if Columbus is very high on Lindholm.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Columbus has received 10 "really good" offers for the 3rd overall pick, and I'm guessing RF proposed one of them to reunite the Team Finland WJC line since there's a high probability of it happening considering we have 1 out of the 3 key pieces, I did some research and here's what I came up with.

1. Jackets-Canes (No. 3 overall for Nos. 13, 21, and 43 overall)

-When I proposed this on the trade board, Jackets fans were reluctant to make that trade but if we absorbed one of their bad contracts, they might not be as opposed to it. They only have ~$6.5 million in cap space which won't be enough to match if somebody offer sheets Seth Jones.

I came up with this value by looking at recent NHL draft pick value charts. According to those, both of our 1st's and our 2nd would be enough for Columbus' 1st.

Onto the next Sedin twin so to speak...

3. Jets-Canes (No. 2 overall for Nos. 4, 67, 74, and 75 overall)

The Canucks received the No. 1 overall pick from the Lightning in exchange for Nos. 4, 75, and 88. After that they traded the No. 1 overall pick to Waddell's Thrashers for the No. 2 overall pick. A conditional 3rd round pick was sent one way or the other as a part of the deal as well and the rest was history.

I'd be cool with the 1st trade, but there's a flaw with the 2nd one, which effects the 3rd one. The Oilers need a RHD, and there's no way they're giving up the 4th for a LHD where they're already set. I'd love to have both Finns though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Also judging by that quote, they weren't giving up all 3 picks for Hanifin, just 2 (unless I misread it).

Yeah, it's hard to tell. I couldn't tell if he meant they only wanted to use 1 of those 3 picks (and still acquire a top 5 pick), or only choose 1 time (top 5 acquired) in the first round total. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, it's hard to tell. I couldn't tell if he meant they only wanted to use 1 of those 3 picks (and still acquire a top 5 pick), or only choose 1 time (top 5 acquired) in the first round total. Either way, it doesn't matter.

It does make sense though, because I remember being really nervous about Boston. I was already unsure if Hanifin would fall to us, as it was rumored Arizona told Hanifin's agent before the lottery selection that they'd draft Hanifin if they didn't get one of the first 2 picks, and it was heavily rumored Babcock wanted Toronto to draft Hanifin over Marner, but their president of operation had history with Marner and preferred him. I thought Arizona would take the 3 Boston picks, and we'd end up with Strome, but if they were only offering 2 picks I would've stood pat as well.

I was also going to mention that finding Aho in the 2nd round makes me even more secured in not trading Hanifin.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I'm actually supposing the opposite...while the Bruins had a strong preference for Hanifin, that they were simply interested in moving up for any of Strome/Marner/Hanifin, it was about getting top-end talent; for the Canes, just based on whispers and the way the Canes talked about all three guys, it was really about disinterest in Strome and preferring to add several pieces over one top-end piece.

When Strome went to Arizona, the Canes knew one of Marner or Hanifin was falling to them. Also, that the Leafs would probably take Marner over Hanifin, but preferred Hanifin over Strome.

So, once Arizona picked and the Canes felt secure their guy was going to be there at #5, they backed out of the deal.

I don't think the Canes ever would have been in the discussions if Hanifin being on the board at #5 was explicit.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It does make sense though, because I remember being really nervous about Boston. I was already unsure if Hanifin would fall to us, as it was rumored Arizona told Hanifin's agent before the lottery selection that they'd draft Hanifin if they didn't get one of the first 2 picks, and it was heavily rumored Babcock wanted Toronto to draft Hanifin over Marner, but their president of operation had history with Marner and preferred him. I thought Arizona would take the 3 Boston picks, and we'd end up with Strome, but if they were only offering 2 picks I would've stood pat as well.

I think AZ was just kicking the tires to see if they could get a VAST, VAST overpayment. There was news out long before the draft that Arizona was 100% picking Strome. I'd seen it in a few media outlets, but also, there was an insider on their board that weeks before the draft basically said: "They've already got his name sewn on the jersey". I don't think AZ ever had any intention of going in a different direction other than Strome. What made me nervous with Boston and AZ was if Boston made an "offer that AZ can't refuse". It would have taken that type of offer IMO.

I didn't know who Toronto would take, but I never saw any substantive Toronto rumors that Hanifin as their front runner, particularly over Marner. Marner (especially because of Hunter) was almost always seen as much, if not more of a chance as Hanifin, especially because with Reilly and Gardiner, LHD wasn't a position of need. Of course, who knows until the actual pick comes. Their fan base was way more convinced it would be Marner over Hanifin as well.

I was also going to mention that finding Aho in the 2nd round makes me even more secured in not trading Hanifin.

I was by no means suggesting that the Canes should have done differently. I was just saying it's fun to speculate with hindsight.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I was by no means suggesting that the Canes should have done differently. I was just saying it's fun to speculate with hindsight.

Oh I knew what you were getting at. I'm just saying if we picked an underachiever in the 2nd, I too would look back at what could've been if we traded down. If Hanifin doesn't pan out and Aho does, I'd consider the draft a wash (Hanifin will work out though).

In general, I think any one of Bellows, Jost, and Keller is having a better draft year than any one of Barzal, Boeser, Connor, or Konecky. In fact, although last year's top 5 are better than this year's, I think this year's 5-20 are better than last year's. So we in hindsight, I think Carolina picked a good year to be bad last year, and a good year to be mediocre this year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We didn't think we were getting Hanifin and likely weren't so impressed with the other options as much as getting two other good picks (as we really needed depth), so considered moving down. I doubt we "pulled the offer" off the table five before as much as had an agreement with the B's that the deal would go down unless certain players were there at 5....and they were.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Francis has been collecting Finns lately. Puljujarvi would certainly be another "impact top-6 forward" and at RW to boot.

I still think the cost would be Lindholm + #13 and that is only if Columbus is very high on Lindholm.

It bugs me a great deal that Jarmo is willing to trade out of the No. 3 spot. I think it's a huge red flag. To me it means that he doesn't want Puljujarvi, but he doesn't want to be the guy who passes him over, either. The only way out is to trade the pick, and even that doesn't look great.

Other prospect people who I respect a great deal have questions about Puljujarvi's overall upside, as well.

Then again, he and Aho ...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I honestly don't believe the difference between the finns is as pronounced as everyone is saying. I think the hype train has gone off the charts since the world championships for Laine. He's a great prospect but I'm hearing he's Ovechkin level now. I just am not convinced yet. These two were so close even halfway through the year? Laine finished string, no doubt. I just don't think JP is that far behind him at all. I think JP is a strong step about Tkachuk as well.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I honestly don't believe the difference between the finns is as pronounced as everyone is saying. I think the hype train has gone off the charts since the world championships for Laine. He's a great prospect but I'm hearing he's Ovechkin level now. I just am not convinced yet. These two were so close even halfway through the year? Laine finished string, no doubt. I just don't think JP is that far behind him at all. I think JP is a strong step about Tkachuk as well.

It's really not about how they've played, though. It's about projectability. Laine's game obviously projects to be NHL level. Puljujarvi not so much. Plus, you *know* at least one of the top 3 are going to bust. They're just not all going to reach their potential. Puljujarvi is the obvious candidate to struggle.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I honestly think JP's projects just as good if not better at the NHL. I think JP is at times the stronger and more balanced skater of the two with Laine being a hair more powerful in traffic. I think the difference between their shots is like the difference between a Stamkos and Ovechkin, just as an example not as a direct comparison. I think they're about equals in the dangles/puck control. I think if you watch their highlight packages you would have a hard time telling any difference between the two, which is what everyone has been saying until pretty recently. Scouts had to start digging deep to tell the differences in their games. JP couldve blown off the doors at the WC's too, but he didn't get the nod for the team. I have no idea why JP seems to be more likely to struggle. If he didn't have Laine next to him he'd be the top winger in the draft.

Laine has a bigger shot and an edge in finish. JP is a stud scorer though. It's like the Ovechkin/Stamkos loose comparison, no one will likely regret their choice because of the shot. I honestly can say I wouldn't be surprised if both these guys are essentially equals in the NHL, and either could excel over the other.

***I think JP has better overall vision and passing ability, that could offset the difference in their shots.

Last edited:

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I don't think Jarmo is trying to move the #3 pick because of any prospect, but I think it def has to do with shedding some of the horrendous contracts he's doled out.

Hartnell and the #3 for the #13 and #21. Would anyone do that deal? I would.

Plus Hartnell eats up an expansion draft slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad