Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
that wouldn't even scratch the surface on what it would take

Its just 8 spots, I don't think its that far off.

We are in no position whatsoever to be giving up lots of assets to move up a few spots.

To have a Zacha - Puljujarvi duo I think it would be worth it.

If the rumor of CBJ being high on Brown and Keller is true, then one of them might be available at 11. And even if they feel they won't be available at 11, then they can use the 11 pick, and another pick that we give them, to move up to the 6-9 range to select one of them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Its just 8 spots, I don't think its that far off.

To have a Zacha - Puljujarvi duo I think it would be worth it.

If the rumor of CBJ being high on Brown and Keller is true, then one of them might be available at 11. And even if they feel they won't be available at 11, then they can use the 11 pick, and another pick that we give them, to move up to the 6-9 range to select one of them.

with all due respect, your trade proposals are never good man

it would cost a HELL of a lot more than two 2nd round picks NEXT YEAR to move up into the top 3.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The reason I come up with trade proposals the way I do, is because as NJD fans, this is what we're used to. Why would it change now?

To NJD:
Kovalchuk, Salmela
To ATL:
Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, 1st round pick

To NJD:
Zidlicky
To MIN:
Palmieri, Foster, Vealiux, 2nd round pick

To NJD:
Schneider
To VAN:
9th overall (Bo Horvat)

To NJD:
Kyle Palmieri
To ANA:
2nd round pick, 3rd round pick

See what I mean? When was the last time we gave up someone of Severson/Zacha value for someone?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The reason I come up with trade proposals the way I do, is because as NJD fans, this is what we're used to. Why would it change now?

To NJD:
Kovalchuk, Salmela
To ATL:
Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, 1st round pick

To NJD:
Zidlicky
To MIN:
Palmieri, Foster, Vealiux, 2nd round pick

To NJD:
Schneider
To VAN:
9th overall (Bo Horvat)

To NJD:
Kyle Palmieri
To ANA:
2nd round pick, 3rd round pick

See what I mean? When was the last time we gave up someone of Severson/Zacha value for someone?

you do understand that EVERY ONE of those trades are completely different circumstances, right? I mean seriously you can't possibly think that any of them have anything to do with a pure draft pick trade?

not to mention, those were all under Lou (outside of the Palmieri deal) which again, is a completely different circumstance.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
you do understand that EVERY ONE of those trades are completely different circumstances, right? I mean seriously you can't possibly think that any of them have anything to do with a pure draft pick trade?

not to mention, those were all under Lou (outside of the Palmieri deal) which again, is a completely different circumstance.

of course they are all different circumstances. Most all trades are under different circumstances. the point is, they are trades. circumstances or not, it's what we've come accustomed to. And its how it works sometimes. CBJ is looking to move back to pick up some assets along the way. moving back 8 spots, while collecting 2 second round picks in the process, and something else, could turn out well for both teams. Which is why trades are made, to benefit both teams.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
of course they are all different circumstances. Most all trades are under different circumstances. the point is, they are trades. circumstances or not, it's what we've come accustomed to. And its how it works sometimes. CBJ is looking to move back to pick up some assets along the way. moving back 8 spots, while collecting 2 second round picks in the process, and something else, could turn out well for both teams. Which is why trades are made, to benefit both teams.

the point is that there are plenty of other teams that would give up a hell of a lot more than 2nd round picks who likely won't make an NHL impact until what, 5 years from now?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The other issue with trading with Columbus is that we are a division rival.

Think Vancouver when they traded Cory. They had better offers on the table and sent him east. The last thing Columbus wants to do is move the pick to us and spend the next 8 years getting burned by the pick. They are more likely to take a slightly lesser deal from someone outside the division and outside the east.

I just dont think its worth it to jump up to 3. It would cost way more then id ever be comfortable with. Unless Shero pulls some crazy magic out of his hat and totally fleeces Columbus, which i doubt.

Stay where we are draft Keller, Nylander, Jost, or Brown.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The other issue with trading with Columbus is that we are a division rival.

Think Vancouver when they traded Cory. They had better offers on the table and sent him east. The last thing Columbus wants to do is move the pick to us and spend the next 8 years getting burned by the pick. They are more likely to take a slightly lesser deal from someone outside the division and outside the east.

I just dont think its worth it to jump up to 3. It would cost way more then id ever be comfortable with. Unless Shero pulls some crazy magic out of his hat and totally fleeces Columbus, which i doubt.

Stay where we are draft Keller, Nylander, Jost, or Brown.

Yes, this is very true. I doubt we are able to make a trade with Columbus, but I think it would be worth it because I sure would love to see Puljujarvi and Zacha together for many years to come.

I really want Keller at 11, but I highly doubt he'll be available. I also want Nylander but I doubt he'll be available too.
I'm not too crazy about Jost or Brown.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I can't see CLB moving to 11 before the first 10 picks are announced. If they want Keller or Brown, they can't move back and just hope one of them are there. The trade would have to be worked out in principle beforehand with CBJ taking JP and then waiting to see if Brown or Keller falls to us. If Keller is gone and it's Brown that's left then I could see the Devils making that trade. If Keller falls, why wouldn't we just keep Keller? I think it would be easier for the Jackets to trade with Calgary and be done with it. The Flames can definitely use JP and Keller or Brown are much more likely to be available at #6.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
a pair of 2nds THIS year might not move you from 11 to 3, never mind next year

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
draft is now 2 weeks away

In a way, I wanted Pittsburgh to win last night so we could start the madness of this offseason

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If we could somehow manage to trade up to #3, that would be HUGE.

To CBJ: #11 overall, Both our 2017 2nd round picks (NJ and BOS), what else do we have to add???

To NJD: #3 overall - draft Jesse. , maybe take back a salary dump??

*Paging Brodeur for value of historical trades in the top 10*

Trading out of the top 3 isn't something we've seen too often. In the case of Columbus, they would be interested if:

1) Move down and still be able to get Logan Brown or Clayton Keller (as hypothesized by Bob, Elliotte, and others). Moving down to #11 might be too far to guarantee that. Calgary at #6 would be a more logical spot for Columbus. Calgary has three 2nd rounders this year to dangle.

2) I think you'd definitely would have to take a bad contract back. The expansion draft rules sound like they're still being hashed out, but one problem Columbus has is a number of NMCs which might be mandatory to be protected. Protecting Hartnell/Clarkson might be at the expense of exposing Wennberg/Milano or Tyutin taking a spot and leaving one of Jones/Murray/Johnson available. Columbus could buy out a deal, but their owner does seem a bit thrifty which is how they ended up with Clarkson in the first place.

Moving down to #11 would be too far if the intention to secure Brown/Keller. Eight picks at that juncture of the draft is a long time to wait.

2nd round picks in next year's draft aren't exactly that enticing. Imagine us entertaining that sort of deal for #4 in 2011. Would you have traded out of the top 10 in 2011 just to add some extra 2nd round picks in 2012?

In the last 25 years, I don't believe there's been any teams in the top 3 that traded out of the top 10 in a purely pick for pick deal. The closest was Tampa moving #4 in 2002 for a pair of 2nd rounders and Ruslan Fedotenko. And that was a Jay Feaster trade. It bugs me to this day that Feaster can justify that deal with a Stanley Cup ring as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Do NHL teams ever draft a guy then trade those rights a little bit later in the draft?

Say Columbus take's Pulj then when the 11th comes up they trade him then?

I know it happens in the NBA a bit.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Do NHL teams ever draft a guy then trade those rights a little bit later in the draft?

Say Columbus take's Pulj then when the 11th comes up they trade him then?

I know it happens in the NBA a bit.

It's funny how that sort of thing is normal for the NBA but generally not for the NHL. Part of it is the dynamic of the entire front office and scouts being there for the NHL. Might be slightly awkward to draft a guy, take photos with him on stage, and then an hour later have to look him in the eye and say he's been traded.

Even in the NFL that seems a bit rare. Eli Manning being drafted by the Chargers and traded an hour later might be the only one I can remember. The Colts were trying to do the same with Elway but that trade took a few weeks.

It's not exactly the same, but the Capitals drafted Tim Kennedy in the sixth round in 2005. Then a short time later, the Capitals traded Kennedy to his hometown Sabres for a sixth round pick in 2006.

Edit: I forgot about Eric Lindros and Quebec, but I think Quebec wanted to see if Lindros would sign.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
a pair of 2nds THIS year might not move you from 11 to 3, never mind next year

A pair of 2nds this year is never moving you from 11 to 3. Hypothetically, if the Devils also had the 15th pick, I couldn't even see them getting the 3rd pick for 11 and 15. It would have to be a ridiculous offer.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Mostly likely we wind up with Jost, which is fine by me. I don't see how we miss out on Keller, Brown or Jost unless the teams in front of us pick only forwards.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Guys, give up the hopes of the Devils trading up to #3. Just. Not. Happening.

1)Columbus likes to blow smoke about trading down to see if they are overwhelmed by an offer. Their scouts are not blind, they draft well in recent years. Puljujarvi's downside is a very solid, two-way second liner, and his upside is simply stardom.

2)IF they were shopping the pick, Calgary would kick that door down before you could get your eye to the peephole. They could offer the #6 pick and three second rounders -- what kind of a coup would it be to have Puljujarvi on a top line with Monahan and Gaudreau? Calgary is also in another conference, whereas the Devils are in Columbs' division.

I would give it 99.9% odds the Devils #11 pick stays at #11. I see three possibilities for a big trade scenario involving the Devils at the draft:

1)A trade like last year's Palmieri acquisition. The likely suspect in this would be Nail Yakupov, whom Edmonton is actively shopping, but I wouldn't rule out Mike Hoffman being moved from Ottawa at reasonable cost or Hanzal from Arizona.

2)Devils take on Datsyuk contract for second round (#46) pick. This makes a great deal of sense for both teams. Freed of Datsyuk contract, Detroit gets desperately needed cap room to remain a contender. With two second rounders, the Devils can get a puck-moving LHD (like Dineen, Clague, Johansen, Lindgren) AND a high upside winger (like Mascherin, Kuokkanen, Thompson, Steel, Kayumov).

3)Someone falls unexpectedly from the first round who fills a big Devils need, and they trade up from #41 to the early 30's to get him. (Possibilities: DeBrincat, Bitten, Tufte, Abramov).

In sum, let's use this space to talk more about what to do with the #11 & #41 picks and the third rounders, not waste time on an impossible dream of Puljujarvi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad