Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I have zero illusions whatsoever of trading up, nor would I want to even consider what it would take to do so, and especially not THAT high

I'm more concerned that the pick I'd like at #11 will get snatched up before we get up to the podium

Not that I think we'd simply be settling for a bad option if that happens, just perhaps not as promising/exciting as I'd hoped for

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hanzal is ALWAYS hurt

I hope he isn't the guy that we target

I'd say the most likely option is Yakupov. Shero is pretty good at trades and Chiarelli is a buffoon, so unless Montreal overbids (they need scoring, and Galchenyuk and Yakupov have a successful past as line mates) we can probably get him pretty cheaply.

We're also competing for the Datsyuk contract with Carolina and Arizona. Arizona reportedly wants a roster player as well, so I would say it's mostly between the Devils and Carolina.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As far as the #11 pick, Devils Dominion is quite possibly correct when he says that there is a strong possibility of ALL the defensemen falling in this draft. My top 11 right now:

1)TOR Matthews
2)WPG Laine
3)CLB Puljujarvi
4)EDM Tkachuk (strong trade possibility)
5)VAN Dubois
6)CGY Jost (you'd think Nylander, but I keep hearing they love Jost)
7)ARI Juolevi
8)BUF Keller (this makes me cringe, but it's looking very likely)
9)MTL Brown
10)COL Nylander
11)NJ Sergachev or Chychrun

The only team in the top 10 I am convinced is going for D is Arizona. If Edmonton trades down with Montreal, Calgary, Buffalo or Colorado that's good news for the Devils because they would target Chychrun with those picks, giving the Devils a guarantee of Nylander/Jost.

-Essentially, the Devils dream option is one of: Keller, Jost, Brown, Nylander.

-In order for this to occur, TWO defensemen must be picked in the top 10.

-Arizona is very likely to take D at #7.

-Devils fans need to root for one other team between 4-10 to draft a D.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
As far as the #11 pick, Devils Dominion is quite possibly correct when he says that there is a strong possibility of ALL the defensemen falling in this draft. My top 11 right now:

1)TOR Matthews
2)WPG Laine
3)CLB Puljujarvi
5)VAN Dubois
7)ARI Juolevi
9)MTL Brown
10)COL Nylander

The only team in the top 10 I am convinced is going for D is Arizona. If Edmonton trades down with Montreal, Calgary, Buffalo or Colorado that's good news for the Devils because they would target Chychrun with those picks, giving the Devils a guarantee of Nylander/Jost.

It's been my concern for a while now.

Though, if COL was wise, they would draft Serg.

If it's between Serg and Chychrun for us, I'd take Serg easily.
I would even take Bellows and possibly a few other forwards before Chychrun.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site

1)TOR Matthews
2)WPG Laine
3)CLB Puljujarvi
5)VAN Dubois
7)ARI Juolevi
9)MTL Brown
10)COL Nylander

I don't want to part with any huge assets to move up significantly but if it's all forwards are taken early, Arizona might be willing to drop a few spots for one of our 3rds knowing they can still get a top D at 11.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We're also competing for the Datsyuk contract with Carolina and Arizona. Arizona reportedly wants a roster player as well, so I would say it's mostly between the Devils and Carolina.

Karmanos was then and remains now a bitter rival of Mike Ilitch, the owner of the Red Wings. While Karmanos built his fortune around Detroit with a computer software business and Ilitch grew rich here in pizza, both men sponsored extensive amateur hockey programs locally.

When Karmanos ran a major junior team at Joe Louis Arena, the home of the Red Wings, Ilitch evicted him, forcing Karmanos to relocate to the suburbs in 1995. When the Detroit star Sergei Fedorov was a restricted free agent and sat out most of a season, Karmanos tried to entice him away in 1998.

I wonder if there's any lingering animosity between Illitch and Karmanos. Philly apparently had a trade in place to dump Lecavalier onto Nashville, but Nashville's ownership was still pissed about the Weber offer sheet and wouldn't approve the deal.

Then again, if Karmanos is struggling for money, this deal would save him quite a bit.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So we take Serg or trade down a few spots for an extra 3rd or 4th, and take Kuinin or Rubstov.

If the four Fs Devils want are gone, best bet would be to take Sergachev.

Then in the second round, hope for high-upside F like Mascherin, Steel, Kuokkanen.

Sergachev still fills a big organizational need for a top-pairing LHD.

Keller is the optimal option, and NJ fans would have to be thrilled with Jost/Nylander/Brown, but no tears should be shed over Sergachev.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't want to part with any huge assets to move up significantly but if it's all forwards are taken early, Arizona might be willing to drop a few spots for one of our 3rds knowing they can still get a top D at 11.

I'd be a little surprised if Arizona did that for just a 3rd rounder unless they were one of those teams that had Jake Bean on top of their wish list. Even then, a 3rd rounder (especially if the draft depth is below average as currently expected) doesn't seem like enough incentive to move down and risking your guy being taken by Buffalo, Montreal, or Colorado who all could be in the market for D.

I was at a seminar where player agent Pat Brisson was speaking. He mentioned something along the lines of "Teams never have two players rated equally. There's always a preference, even if they don't acknowledge it publically." I imagine the same principle with the draft.

They might have Juolevi/Sergachyev/Chychrun/Bean close but there's gonna be one that they prefer. A 3rd rounder doesn't seem enough to risk somebody making my decision for me.

When we were on the clock last season, Shero offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, and #129. I imagine that's the sort of deal that would get Arizona to even think about moving down.

JBthree24

Jun 3, 2016
Central NJ
I actually just came into this thread in hopes of talking about that rare possibility of 1/3 or all 3 (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) those top 3 dmen are available at 11. We all know how valuable the top 10 picks are and the NJD are the first team at that to make a pick outside the top 10.

We all are talking about Keller, Jost, Brown, Gauthier, McLeod...and indeed, we need a scoring winger and perhaps one more big play making center men: but if tje NJD find themselves in the position where one of or ALL dmen are available....what would you do if you were Ray? I can almost be positive his phone would ring on the clock.

I do however think Arizona and Colorado would take a dmen...but this would be a unique situation.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Do you think Pulju is ready to play in the NHL right away?

I don't know if he'll be as dynamic a scorer right off the bat as Laine and Matthews could be, but with his size, skating ability, and responsible play (relative to most prospects at least), I definitely he could fit in the NHL right away. He kinda reminds me of Zacha in that way. May not blow up the scoresheet every night as a youngster but does a lot of great things that you want your best forwards to do.

It's been my concern for a while now.

Though, if COL was wise, they would draft Serg.

If it's between Serg and Chychrun for us, I'd take Serg easily.
I would even take Bellows and possibly a few other forwards before Chychrun.

I feel the same way. I'm just too wary of non-WOW d prospects so early in the draft.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I actually just came into this thread in hopes of talking about that rare possibility of 1/3 or all 3 (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) those top 3 dmen are available at 11. We all know how valuable the top 10 picks are and the NJD are the first team at that to make a pick outside the top 10.

We all are talking about Keller, Jost, Brown, Gauthier, McLeod...and indeed, we need a scoring winger and perhaps one more big play making center men: but if tje NJD find themselves in the position where one of or ALL dmen are available....what would you do if you were Ray? I can almost be positive his phone would ring on the clock.

I do however think Arizona and Colorado would take a dmen...but this would be a unique situation.

In that scenario and assuming Shero doesn't want the Dmen?

NJD: 14, 29
BOS: 11, 2016 3rd

Take Kunin or Rubtsov at 14 and a LHD at 29.

JBthree24

Jun 3, 2016
Central NJ
In that scenario and assuming Shero doesn't want the Dmen?

NJD: 14, 29
BOS: 11, 2016 3rd

Take Kunin or Rubtsov at 14 and a LHD at 29.

I would also include who would you all prefer of the 3 dmen? Or what would be the best choice? Again assuming they're all there at 11 or even 1 of 3.

And yes also assuming they'd listen to offers that very moment what team would likely call the most. I'm still banking on Edmonton. Honestly I think Edm will select either Tkachuk or PLD

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I would also include who would you all prefer of the 3 dmen? Or what would be the best choice? Again assuming they're all there at 11 or even 1 of 3.

And yes also assuming they'd listen to offers that very moment what team would likely call the most. I'm still banking on Edmonton. Honestly I think Edm will select either Tkachuk or PLD

If Edmonton calls, I'd make the attempt to build an offer for Hall, especially since it's been reported the Devils called on him. It would take more than #11 but I'd build the offer around that. For all of his hype and reputation (he's obviously very talented), he's yet to score 30 goals in a season. His value is high but I don't think it's as impossibly high as some think.

As far as the dmen, I'd trust the scouts. Sergachev seems to have the most upside, with Olli next, and Chychrun getting a lot of hate recently. I think I could be happy with any of them if the team goes in that direction.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

If the four Fs Devils want are gone, best bet would be to take Sergachev.

Then in the second round, hope for high-upside F like Mascherin, Steel, Kuokkanen.

Sergachev still fills a big organizational need for a top-pairing LHD.

Keller is the optimal option, and NJ fans would have to be thrilled with Jost/Nylander/Brown, but no tears should be shed over Sergachev.

Don't be surprised if Kuinin tuns out to be this year's Connor. We need offense, scouts say he's an excellent offensive player, has excellent speed, good size and is a natural center. Already has a year of college under his belt. At most, he's two years away.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Don't be surprised if Kuinin tuns out to be this year's Connor. We need offense, scouts say he's an excellent offensive player, has excellent speed, good size and is a natural center. Already has a year of college under his belt. At most, he's two years away.

He has the speed a skillset for this system and is a USNDP player. He generates a lot of shots and led the Badgers in scoring as a freshman. From the little I've watched on Youtube, he seems like a very exciting forward. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the Devils' radar and I'd be happy getting him into the organization.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kunin should be this draft's Konecny.

People will wonder how he wasn't picked much higher about midseason next year.

Group Chat Legend*

Draft day trade

Edmonton gets Severson, 11th, 2016 2nd, Kinkaid/Wedgewood

New Jersey gets Nurse, 4th

Edmonton gets a RHD which they desperately need, and one that can produce offense. The two picks, along with a backup tender, add nice value.

New Jersey gets a LHD which they need, and the 4th can add another higher end talent to the club on the forward side.

How I see it:
Severson = Nurse
11th, 2nd rd, backup = 4th

Thoughts?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Should we be considering him at 11 then? He's the youngest player on Wisco also.

If our top choices are gone I wouldn't mind. Shero could trade down a few spots and probably still get him but getting cute like that makes me nervous. If he's the best player on their board, just take him.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Don't trade down from 11. I wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered if all the big forwards are gone and we have to take Sergachev/Juolevi, both are going to be really good players and we're not exactly stacked at LHD. Greene is aging and Moore/Merrill are both shaky, Sergachev has the makings of a fantastic top pairing puck moving defender, if that's who we get i won't be complaining.

If that does happen i wouldn't mind giving up some of our extra picks to move up from 41 back into the end of the first round or the very early part of the second. That way we could snag a good forward still to soften the blow of having to go defence at 11.

I'm all for going BPA though, drafting by immediate need is rarely the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad