Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
EDM had a negative penalty differential this season. McDavid was tied for 5th in penalties drawn with Garnet Hathaway.
Because players learned last year you can't touch him without a ridiculous call being made. He gets away with murder and then gets a call anytime someone touches him.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't cheer for either team. McDavid not being able to be touched is a fact. Look at the mugging by the Leafs on Marchand last night to take away a scoring chance. If that's McDavid they call a quintuple minor right there.
It’s unfortunate Tocchet has to address the Oilers diving tendencies before the series even starts

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
That right there is pretty comical. He can't even be touched without a hand going up.
There’s tons of video evidence proving the same, but you’re not here for conducive conversation are you?

Otherwise, you would have done the bare minimum before the moronic 5v5 statement.

Reactions: capazzo

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Because players learned last year you can't touch him without a ridiculous call being made. He gets away with murder and then gets a call anytime someone touches him.

He did lead the league in penalties drawn last season, with 45. 4 more than this year, equating to roughly 1 penalty drawn every other game. Does that really seem that ridiculous to you? You act like he's drawing 3 calls a game

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There’s tons of video evidence proving the same, but you’re not here for conducive conversation are you?

Otherwise, you would have done the bare minimum before the moronic 5v5 statement.

Take a look at the first one in this sequence. McDavid should have gotten at least 5 games for that. Not even a penalty called.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Canuck players like EP are more guilty of diving than most others in the league.

It’s downright embarrassing that the coach is buying into the conspiracy that some Canuck fans are peddling.
Watching McDavid try and get a call when a player goes near him is far more embarrassing, luckily the refs don’t seem to fall for his antics most the time

McDavid doesn't even have to dive. He just gets calls for being McDavid. I'm not calling him a diver. I'm saying half the penalties he draws don't even exist.
Refs seem to call less on him lately, I think they have been more keen to his antics

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Watching McDavid try and get a call when a player goes near him is far more embarrassing, luckily the refs don’t seem to fall for his antics most the time
Again, EP is more guilty of this than any player.

Besides, they have a penalty for embellishment and you can do search to see how many of those McDavid has.

Regardless, the whole reffing conspiracy that’s already out here is delusional - regardless of which fanbase it comes from. Does not bode well that a coach buys into it.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
McDavid doesn't even have to dive. He just gets calls for being McDavid. I'm not calling him a diver. I'm saying half the penalties he draws don't even exist.
Even if this were true, which it's not, it amounts to a penalty every other game. You're acting as if he's drawing 200 penalties a year, not the 40ish that he actually does.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
McDavid has actually had embellishment called against him in a game whereas Pettersson has tried to have a penalty waved off against him. Now it seems more players tend to take a diving approach due to the speed of the game, but some just do it more than others.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

since McDavid joined the NHL oilers are bottom 10 in powerplay opportunities

Where your Jets have received 8th most and Canucks are 10th lol

I find this narrative around McDavid funny, if you wanna call anyone out for drawing extra penalties on the Oilers it's Draisaitl

1714952845635.png

Reactions: capazzo

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
It’s weird seeing everyone in here argue about who the underdog is as if it matters what we or the media thinks. If being an underdog provides any kind of motivational advantage, then it only matters what the players think.

In this case, the players on both teams probably feel like they are the underdogs. No one expected the Canucks to be in this position before the season, and despite a perception of being the favourite, the Oilers are well aware that they were smacked around by the Canucks this season.

I doubt either team is going in overconfident.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
How are they underdogs? For the entire season we heard they were the gods of the pacific and nobody else in the division had a chance. Especially the SHITTY Oilers who got a lucky 16 game win streak to save their season?

All of a sudden they’re an underdog team just happy to be there?

Cmonnnnnn brooooo

Gee I wonder who the underdogs are

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
These Canucks have nothing to lose, no one expected them in the second round this early in their rebuild, as their roster it's not built for the playoffs yet. As long as they play lose and stick to their system and use their heavy forecheck effectively, and if they get to a game 6 with Demko in net, they have more than a good chance to upset a heavy favorite.

This is all a bonus for the fans from here on out. Go Canucks go.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It is a very naive take to suggest the question of which team is favoured "doesn't matter".

This isn't minor hockey, it's the NHL where the discussions involve millions of dollars.

If the 'nucks lose this series as expected, there won't be repercussions. Tocchet is already a Jack Adams finalist, and the season remains a massive success. Nor will anything change for the Oil coach, winning this round is below the floor that has been set.

But because the oil are in fact favoured, if the 'nucks unexpectedly win, there will be massive repercussions.

The smallest will be the mockery I make of so- called "journalists" that didn't vote for Tocchet. Moving on from that, we will see another NHL head coach fired.

More than that, salaries of star players in the amount of tens of millions of dollars will be moved to different franchise as Drai and McDavid go elsewhere. And continued failure after being gifted numerous 1st OA picks and a generational player could see the franchise moved to an American market.

The players may ignore who is favoured - they don't, but it's moot - but fans, sponsors, owners and other stakeholders are all invested in who is favoured.

But at least instead of debating who is favoured, now I get the pleasure of being dragged beneath the mud to debate why it even matters.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
These Canucks have nothing to lose, no one expected them in the second round this early in their rebuild, as their roster it's not built for the playoffs yet. As long as they play lose and stick to their system and use their heavy forecheck effectively, and if they get to a game 6 with Demko in net, they have more than a good chance to upset a heavy favorite.

This is all a bonus for the fans from here on out. Go Canucks go.
Why are you guys acting like the Canucks are a very young team?

All your top players have been in the league for 6+ seasons.

Last time I checked, isn't the Canucks roster around the middle of the pack when it comes to age?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Seems like you are just seeing what you want to see a little bit.

Vancouver fans felt attacked by all the PDO talk, and were seemingly completely unwilling to admit that their early season scoring prowess was a bit of a mirage.

Much as was said in the one General thread I posted in, no one was expecting stalwarts like Blueger to be continuing at the rate they were scoring at.

The problem is that since JT Miller isn't McDavid, his scoring was 'unsustainable', which I think is more what Canucks fans took umbrage with.

And again, I don't recall Canucks fans religiously watching the shot clock and analyzing every goal by the Oilers and determining it was 'luck' and then posting about it. For the 2nd? 3rd? time, trash talk is different from relentlessly fixating on another team for the entirety of a season.

They are still talking about some special system devised by Tocchet that allowed them to finish their chances at a completely unsustainable rate.

Link, please. I read the Canucks board pretty frequently and I haven't really seen mention of this 'special system.'

Again, my comment was about how the Oilers board was fixated on the Canucks this year.

Their ability to finish at a special rate has seemingly evaporated though. That also seems to have carried through to the playoffs where they outscored Nashville 13-12 in the series.

Yeah, being on our third string goalie did have the team having to play defensively. I seem to recall a lot of noise being made about McDavid being out in the last match v. the Canucks, so I can't imagine injuries, now, can't be used as a rationale.

That said, EP is underperforming pretty terribly.

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad