2016 NHL Draft - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
he sounds good on paper for sure. i've talked to 3-4 guys who have seen him a lot, and they are actually all pretty meh about laberge off the record. he's a guy who teams probably have a large difference of opinion on, based on the small sample of feedback i got. no idea what boston plans on doing, but my guess is they want a D prospect and an impact D for now (which means there's a good chance they don't keep both picks and make a trade).

I sit in the now Scotiabank Center here in Halifax for every home game of the season and watch countless junior players and the one`s who wear the enemies jersey don`t register on my radar unless they do something consistently on those visits that forces me to take notice, this kid has that element.

That said, not a chance I spend the #14 spot on him, I haven`t a clue what his stats are, don`t tend to look at them for the purposes of making a judgement of a player but this kid has something that I think will have him wearing an NHL jersey for some team for quite some time and that`s heart. Not the biggest kid but uses his body exceptionally well whether he has control of the puck or is on the forecheck, is rarely out of position.

IF there was an aspect of his game that might be a bit puzzling to some scouts is for a kid with a very good shot, he tends to lean in favor of passing a bit more than perhaps he should. Almost unselfish to a fault.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
It appears that the consensus has us picking Fabbro though i'm not sold on him yet. I'm just curious where people think he would rank in our top 20?

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
It appears that the consensus has us picking Fabbro though i'm not sold on him yet. I'm just curious where people think he would rank in our top 20?

Just taking the RD into consideration, right now I put him at #7 behind McQuaid, both Millers, Casto, Benning and Carlo. He may handle the puck better and have a better shot but I'll put experience over that simply because I think "defenseman" means "defense first" and those mentioned are older(some not by much). I don't even consider him for the LD

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Just taking the RD into consideration, right now I put him at #7 behind McQuaid, both Millers, Casto, Benning and Carlo. He may handle the puck better and have a better shot but I'll put experience over that simply because I think "defenseman" means "defense first" and those mentioned are older(some not by much). I don't even consider him for the LD

I think he was talking about top 20 prospects not players. Either way he definitely would be inserted ahead of Matt benning. If they select fabbro for me he'd probably be hovering right around 5.

I'd still rank vatrano, heinen, carlo, and Senyshyn ahead of him without a doubt. But he would become the 2nd best d prospect with LAUZON right there with him as well as zboril. I'm all for drafting him, it still gives the Bruins a hole for a true top pairing d prospect but increases the odds they'll have a very good bottom 4 in a couple years With 4 of fabbro, carlo, Lauzon, zboril, o GARA, grzcelyk, krug, and colin miller able to play at a 3-4 level. Basically only 50% need to work out for that to happen with a few more sure of a bet than others. I'd say the liklihood of that happening is pretty good.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
lSS for June
1 Matthews, Auston RW Zurich ZSC SuiA
2 Laine, Patrik RW Tappara FinE
3 Puljujarvi, Jesse RW Karpat FinE
4 Tkachuk, Matthew LW London OHL
5 Dubois, Pierre-Luc LW Cape Breton QMJHL
6 Nylander, Alexander RW Mississauga OHL
7 Brown, Logan C Windsor OHL
8 Chychrun, Jakob LD Sarnia OHL
9 Jost, Tyson RW Penticton BCHL
10 Sergachev, Mikhail RD Windsor OHL
11 Juolevi, Olli LD London OHL
12 Keller, Clayton C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
13 McLeod, Michael C Mississauga OHL
14 Jones, Max LW London OHL
15 Rubtsov, German C Russia MHL 98 RusJr
16 Bean, Jake LD Calgary WHL
17 Bellows, Kieffer C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
18 Kunin, Luke RW Wisconsin BigTen
19 Fabbro, Dante RD Penticton BCHL
20 Howden, Brett LW Moose Jaw WHL
21 Gauthier, Julien RW Val-d'Or QMJHL
22 Tufte, Riley LW Blaine MN-HS
23 McAvoy, Charles RD Boston University H.E.
24 Thompson, Tage C Connecticut H.E.
25 Stanley, Logan LD Windsor OHL
26 Derincat, Alexander C Erie OHL
27 Katchouk, Boris LW S.S. Marie OHL
28 Raddysh, Taylor RW Erie OHL
29 Moverare, Jacob LD HV71 SweJE
30 Laberge, Pascal C Victoriaville QMJHL

I wouldn't take Brown at 7 or 14 for that matter..

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
lSS for June
1 Matthews, Auston RW Zurich ZSC SuiA
2 Laine, Patrik RW Tappara FinE
3 Puljujarvi, Jesse RW Karpat FinE
4 Tkachuk, Matthew LW London OHL
5 Dubois, Pierre-Luc LW Cape Breton QMJHL
6 Nylander, Alexander RW Mississauga OHL
7 Brown, Logan C Windsor OHL
8 Chychrun, Jakob LD Sarnia OHL
9 Jost, Tyson RW Penticton BCHL
10 Sergachev, Mikhail RD Windsor OHL
11 Juolevi, Olli LD London OHL
12 Keller, Clayton C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
13 McLeod, Michael C Mississauga OHL
14 Jones, Max LW London OHL
15 Rubtsov, German C Russia MHL 98 RusJr
16 Bean, Jake LD Calgary WHL
17 Bellows, Kieffer C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
18 Kunin, Luke RW Wisconsin BigTen
19 Fabbro, Dante RD Penticton BCHL
20 Howden, Brett LW Moose Jaw WHL
21 Gauthier, Julien RW Val-d'Or QMJHL
22 Tufte, Riley LW Blaine MN-HS
23 McAvoy, Charles RD Boston University H.E.
24 Thompson, Tage C Connecticut H.E.
25 Stanley, Logan LD Windsor OHL
26 Derincat, Alexander C Erie OHL
27 Katchouk, Boris LW S.S. Marie OHL
28 Raddysh, Taylor RW Erie OHL
29 Moverare, Jacob LD HV71 SweJE
30 Laberge, Pascal C Victoriaville QMJHL

I wouldn't take Brown at 7 or 14 for that matter..

What's the issue with Brown?

If Bellows is still there, I'd take him...

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
If Fabbro, Bean etc. are only 2nd pairing quality, why wouldn't the Bruins make every effort to move up into the top 10 where they get a chance at a 1st pairing quality defenseman?

Staying at 14 doesn't make sense, if they can throw in a pick or two to move into the top 10 and land say a Juolevi or a Sergachev.

Also, I recently saw a mock that had the Bruins selecting Julien Guathier. 6'4 220 lbs, prototypical power forward RW, in the "Bruins" mold.

How would you feel about moving up into the top 10 for a higher quality Defense prospect, or how would you feel about drafting a power winger like Gauthier instead.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I'd have to disagree here with his talent and prospect analysis. I have him behind Carlo and Colin Miller. #3 with a bullet.

As far as prospects go, he would be in our second best behind Carlo which could easily change by Christmas.

Right now I don't see a potential top pairing defenseman in the Boston Bruins organization or system. That includes the current line-up. Does anyone see a current or future top pairing defensman anywhere in the system or prospects?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If Fabbro, Bean etc. are only 2nd pairing quality, why wouldn't the Bruins make every effort to move up into the top 10 where they get a chance at a 1st pairing quality defenseman?

Staying at 14 doesn't make sense, if they can throw in a pick or two to move into the top 10 and land say a Juolevi or a Sergachev.

Also, I recently saw a mock that had the Bruins selecting Julien Guathier. 6'4 220 lbs, prototypical power forward RW, in the "Bruins" mold.

How would you feel about moving up into the top 10 for a higher quality Defense prospect, or how would you feel about drafting a power winger like Gauthier instead.

Very little difference at all between Chychrun and Fabbro right now. Both have top pairing defenseman potential with Sergachev really getting some attention with his potential.

Honestly, the cost to move up is not worth it.

Get one of the top four and enjoy watching them develop. Jake Bean was the only one I haven't seen enough to comment on and would be hesitant to use the #14 on. I'd be more inclined to grab Johansen with the #29-30 pick and go with Jost at 14 if they were stupid enough not to grab one of these four.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
If Jost is there at 14 you run to the podium. And yes to Johansen with the Sharks pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'd have to disagree here with his talent and prospect analysis. I have him behind Carlo and Colin Miller. #3 with a bullet.

As far as prospects go, he would be in our second best behind Carlo which could easily change by Christmas.

Right now I don't see a potential top pairing defenseman in the Boston Bruins organization or system. That includes the current line-up. Does anyone see a current or future top pairing defensman anywhere in the system or prospects?

if the bruins get fabbro, he's their #1 D prospect. i like carlo but he's pretty vanilla. really good size, skates well, defends well, definitely will play at NHL level. but his upside? probably a 3/4 at best. actually think lauzon has more upside.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Very little difference at all between Chychrun and Fabbro right now. Both have top pairing defenseman potential with Sergachev really getting some attention with his potential.

Get one of the top four and enjoy watching them develop. Jake Bean was the only one I haven't seen enough to comment on and would be hesitant to use the #14 on. I'd be more inclined to grab Johansen with the #29-30 pick and go with Jost at 14 if they were stupid enough not to grab one of these four.

Coach, stuck here in Connecticut we don't get to see a lot of West Coast hockey (especially with small children in the house!) I've got a pretty good idea on Fabbro from Kirk and others comments, I don't know too much about Jost. Especially since for the last few months most mocks have him going before us. What is his size, strengths, weaknesses, comparables, etc? If you don't mind taking some time, of course! Thanks!

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

I wouldn't entirely mind Gauthier but I think the top ceiling of Bean, Fabbro, McAvoy is being understated as "top-4" upside. I believe all 6 have top pairing upside.

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston

if the bruins get fabbro, he's their #1 D prospect. i like carlo but he's pretty vanilla. really good size, skates well, defends well, definitely will play at NHL level. but his upside? probably a 3/4 at best. actually think lauzon has more upside.

I've been riding shotgun on the Team Fabbro bus for a while, and I'm echoing these thoughts. I honestly don't think there is enough of a difference (think Ekblad/Hanifin disparity) between the top 5-ish defensemen to warrant a move. And when you pair that with the break-down that Nugs did not long ago about how the first 13 picks "should" go, one of those talented defensemen should be there when the Bruins get on the clock. You add to the fact that Fabbro is RHD and that this fall Don Sweeney could literally get up from a Bruins practice and watch Fabbro play at Agganis before his Dunks got cold, I think, is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

My only lingering concern is that a while back the Bruins were heavily scouting Niemelainen, and they decide to go off the popular opinion board again. Not saying I don't like Niemelainen, I just don't like him at 14.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I've been riding shotgun on the Team Fabbro bus for a while, and I'm echoing these thoughts. I honestly don't think there is enough of a difference (think Ekblad/Hanifin disparity) between the top 5-ish defensemen to warrant a move. And when you pair that with the break-down that Nugs did not long ago about how the first 13 picks "should" go, one of those talented defensemen should be there when the Bruins get on the clock. You add to the fact that Fabbro is RHD and that this fall Don Sweeney could literally get up from a Bruins practice and watch Fabbro play at Agganis before his Dunks got cold, I think, is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

My only lingering concern is that a while back the Bruins were heavily scouting Niemelainen, and they decide to go off the popular opinion board again. Not saying I don't like Niemelainen, I just don't like him at 14.

I could see Boston drafting him with the Sharks pick—assuming that Boston doesn't trade it. The Bruins might even shock everyone by taking Sean Day with the pick.

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston
I could see Boston drafting him with the Sharks pick—assuming that Boston doesn't trade it. The Bruins might even shock everyone by taking Sean Day with the pick.

If they do keep the SJ pick I have no issue with them taking on a potential project like Day. I just don't want them to 'reach' with 14.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
If they do keep the SJ pick I have no issue with them taking on a potential project like Day. I just don't want them to 'reach' with 14.

I think if they want Day as a project he'll be there at 49. No need to try and get him in the first when players like Niemelainen and Johansen should be on the board. I do want him in black and gold when the dust settles though.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

That was my thought as well. I never thought they'd target Niemelainen with 14 but would target him with SJ's pick. I think they're doing a lot of do diligence on prospects around 29/30 and 49 in case 14 gets put in play.

I also, as you said, wouldn't be shocked by Day. He was considered a Top-10 prospect less than a year ago, if you include the 14th in a deal for Brodin/Shattenkirk/another top-4 guy then Day may be a great home run swing boom/bust pick.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
That was my thought as well. I never thought they'd target Niemelainen with 14 but would target him with SJ's pick. I think they're doing a lot of do diligence on prospects around 29/30 and 49 in case 14 gets put in play.

I also, as you said, wouldn't be shocked by Day. He was considered a Top-10 prospect less than a year ago, if you include the 14th in a deal for Brodin/Shattenkirk/another top-4 guy then Day may be a great home run swing boom/bust pick.

I agree that taking a chance on Day could really pay off.

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA

Would love to draft Day, draft isn't that deep and the reward could be amazing.

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston
I think if they want Day as a project he'll be there at 49. No need to try and get him in the first when players like Niemelainen and Johansen should be on the board. I do want him in black and gold when the dust settles though.

Fair point. My ultimate point was that I don't think the Bruins should pick a fringe 1st round/2nd round guy like Niemelainen/Day/Johansen with the 14th pick.

Taking it with a grain of salt, but I saw one first round prediction today that had Fabbro, Keller, Bellows, and McAvoy all still on the board at 14, and it wasn't too outside the box of a top 13 (McLeod and Bean were in there along with the usual names). If that prediction comes to fruition I'm going to be disappointed if one of those guys isn't wearing a Bruins jersey on June 24th.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Fair point. My ultimate point was that I don't think the Bruins should pick a fringe 1st round/2nd round guy like Niemelainen/Day/Johansen with the 14th pick.

Taking it with a grain of salt, but I saw one first round prediction today that had Fabbro, Keller, Bellows, and McAvoy all still on the board at 14, and it wasn't too outside the box of a top 13 (McLeod and Bean were in there along with the usual names). If that prediction comes to fruition I'm going to be disappointed if one of those guys isn't wearing a Bruins jersey on June 24th.

If last year draft teach us anything it's to don't have any excpectation or prepare to be disappointed ;)

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
If last year draft teach us anything it's to don't have any excpectation or prepare to be disappointed ;)

I will go on record that last years draft was super deep and I wasn't as concerned about getting one of the popular names, as there was clearly talent like Senyshun that was hard to see because there was so much talent in that draft. This draft clearly drops off quicker and there are a handful of players I'd be alright with beyond those mentioned, say German Was highly thought of by our scouts I'd be alright. But this draft is definitely not as deep and I'd be surprised if such relative unknowns were called this year.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I will go on record that last years draft was super deep and I wasn't as concerned about getting one of the popular names, as there was clearly talent like Senyshun that was hard to see because there was so much talent in that draft. This draft clearly drops off quicker and there are a handful of players I'd be alright with beyond those mentioned, say German Was highly thought of by our scouts I'd be alright. But this draft is definitely not as deep and I'd be surprised if such relative unknowns were called this year.

Agree this draft have less depth than last year, but there's a multiple drop off every year in the draft. Last year there was a clear cut top 12 with sometime Meier who was thrown in on some list. So a top 12-13. Two team ignore that drop off, Dallas one time going with Guryanov and Boston three time going with the guys we know.

The only difference I see, is last year drop off arround our pick was maybe from 100 ft high to 80 ft and this year from 80 ft to 60 ft. There's still the same drop off, this years talent is just seen as not as good as last year.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
BUFFALO – Matt Filipe interviewed with Bruins general manager Don Sweeney on Thursday as part of the NHL Combine. He is roommates with Boston University’s Charlie McAvoy, one of the first defensemen expected to be picked later this month.

Filipe is right in the middle of the buildup toward the 2016 NHL Draft. The Lynnfield native is not taking the process for granted.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...nhl-combine/jBTA0l2PjUzxPyAhs010GI/story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad