Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 31st Overall - Yegor Korshkov - RW - Lokomotiv Yaroslav [6-4/180]

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When do you guys realistically see him making the leap to the NHL? After this coming season? I haven't seen full games of his play in the KHL, only clips.

Next year he'll be 22 - an age where most forwards (of good caliber at least) tend to make the jump to the NHL and i believe that's when his current KHL contract expires.

So if the Leafs are interested enough still in him, it'll be then.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When do you guys realistically see him making the leap to the NHL? After this coming season? I haven't seen full games of his play in the KHL, only clips.

His current KHL contract runs until June 2018.

A which point he will either sign his ELC contract with TO and come to NA to start his career on this side of the ocean or sign another KHL contract for more $$ and stay at home.

So July 2018 will answer a lot of questions in regards to when.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Next year he'll be 22 - an age where most forwards (of good caliber at least) tend to make the jump to the NHL and inventive that's when his current KHL contract expires.

So if the Leafs are interested enough still in him, it'll be then.

It's possible, but it's also in his favour to try and re-sign in Yaroslavl for 2 more years.

Waiting past 24 in the KHL reduces his ELC to 1 year and leaves him less years to UFA, + would likely be a better, more developed player with more of a KHL (and maybe international) track record, and thus be able to command decent money after that 1 year ELC. Basically follow the Zaitsev playbook

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's possible, but it's also in his favour to try and re-sign in Yaroslavl for 2 more years.

Waiting past 24 in the KHL reduces his ELC to 1 year and leaves him less years to UFA, + would likely be a better, more developed player with more of a KHL (and maybe international) track record, and thus be able to command decent money after that 1 year ELC. Basically follow the Zaitsev playbook

Mayb. That could very well be a potential scenario.

But if that is the case it does seem like a bit of a waste of a high pick on a guy who they will MAYBE want to sign so many years post draft.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Mayb. That could very well be a potential scenario.

But if that is the case it does seem like a bit of a waste of a high pick on a guy who they will MAYBE want to sign so many years post draft.

Don't think I agree. It's definitely an abnormal strategy/ scenario but I really like the potential payoff. On an ELC now/ next year he's just another young guy vying for limited wing spots. 2-3-4 years down the road he's a prime player at elc cost being added at a time where every penny will count.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Don't think I agree. It's definitely an abnormal strategy/ scenario but I really like the potential payoff. On an ELC now/ next year he's just another young guy vying for limited wing spots. 2-3-4 years down the road he's a prime player at elc cost being added at a time where every penny will count.

I agree with you, it is about the potential payoff.
This is NOT such a high pick. Where he was picked is probably around a 50/50 proposition to make the nhl.
I like the idea of seasoning him offshore. Allows us to develop more prospects with the same resources.
And if we lose a year or two of elc and rfa, so be it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's getting interesting in the KHL. Fewer teams but players can make more take up home money that the NHL....especially if you're on a ELC or modest RFA contract.

By drafting him so high, the Leafs must truly think he wants to play/live in North America.

Interesting what goalie Samsonov does. He might certainly get top dollar as the top dollar in the KHL. Would he at all be interest in taking little money in the NHL when he's still in mid 20s.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I definitely see the logic to such a plan, I'd just feel more comfortable using a later round picks on gambles like that.

The big danger of course emerges if a KHL offers him a multi year deal after his current contract expires

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It appears that Korshkov has signed a 1 year extension with Yaroslavl, although I can't confirm as the story isn't on the KHL's English site. :shakehead

LINK (Russian): http://www.khl.ru/news/2017/08/14/352896.html

Key parts from Google translate
Kadeikin for two years in Lokomotiv and other transfers
August 14 14 August 2017, 19:05 News

Two-way contracts with Yaroslavl were re-signed by Pavel Kraskovsky (1996), Egor Korshkov (1996) and Alexander Polunin (1997). Korshkov and Kraskovsky - for one year, and Polunin - for two.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Key parts from Google translate
Kadeikin for two years in Lokomotiv and other transfers
August 14 14 August 2017, 19:05 News

Two-way contracts with Yaroslavl were re-signed by Pavel Kraskovsky (1996), Egor Korshkov (1996) and Alexander Polunin (1997). Korshkov and Kraskovsky - for one year, and Polunin - for two.

So is that for this year, or is it like an extension where it can be signed a year before taking effect?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
So is that for this year, or is it like an extension where it can be signed a year before taking effect?

What you see is what you get out of the article. I just clipped what was useful from the translate to save anyone else the time of doing so. As you can see, what they say about him is quite brief.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Forward Yegor Korshkov after the loss in the quarterfinals of the Gagarin cup commented on the information of transitioning to Toronto in the near off season. According to him, "we must first rest"

Are you going to Toronto?

"We will see. Now you need to rest, and then carefully weigh everything."

Will you go this spring?

"Time will tell"

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Forward Yegor Korshkov after the loss in the quarterfinals of the Gagarin cup commented on the information of transitioning to Toronto in the near off season. According to him, "we must first rest"

Will you go this spring?

"Time will tell"
hope he comes over here as soon as possible

Reactions: stickty111

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Pretty reasonable response. He'll take a couple days, then they'll probably talk to Leafs management.

I'm sure the Leafs would love to get him into some AHL games prior to the end of the season though.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Will you go this spring?

"Time will tell"
This seems all very "Magic 8 Ball" to me.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Pretty reasonable response. He'll take a couple days, then they'll probably talk to Leafs management.

I'm sure the Leafs would love to get him into some AHL games prior to the end of the season though.

Judging from his comments it sounds like he is exhausted and wants to rest. I doubt he wants to play more games this season.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It's getting interesting in the KHL. Fewer teams but players can make more take up home money that the NHL....especially if you're on a ELC or modest RFA contract.

By drafting him so high, the Leafs must truly think he wants to play/live in North America.

Interesting what goalie Samsonov does. He might certainly get top dollar as the top dollar in the KHL. Would he at all be interest in taking little money in the NHL when he's still in mid 20s.

I"ve read that by 2020 there will be a hard cap of 10 million US in place on almost all teams in the contracted KHL (except for SKA of course) with 1 exception for each team's star. So, sure if your that team's star, or you know that you will never be good enough to play in the NHL then the KHL is a step up from a standard AHL contract, sure. But with the NHL expanding and the KHL contracting it makes sense for players who think they have a chance to earn a NHL paycheck to make the jump. Even a player on an ELC or a modest RFA contract on an NHL team makes more than the vast majority of players in the KHL, and the average player in the NHL makes more money than just about anyone in the KHL who doesn't play for SKA. Oh, and they are guarnteed to get paid by the CBA. In Russia, there's not such guarantee for most players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This seems all very "Magic 8 Ball" to me.

Until I actually see him on this side of the pond I will believe it..

I've always felt based on his actions he isn't highly motivated to come to NA and likes it at home in the KHL and will need some convincing and arm twisting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad