Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 31st Overall - Yegor Korshkov - RW - Lokomotiv Yaroslav [6-4/180]

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Until I actually see him on this side of the pond I will believe it..

I've always felt based on his actions he isn't highly motivated to come to NA and likes it at home in the KHL and will need some convincing and arm twisting.

youd hope management spoke to him about this before picking him 31st overall. I think they are fairly confident he want to play in the NHL. Could his head get turned in Russia? sure but he is never going to be one of the higher paid players there.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
youd hope management spoke to him about this before picking him 31st overall. I think they are fairly confident he want to play in the NHL. Could his head get turned in Russia? sure but he is never going to be one of the higher paid players there.
I read it as a kid that just played a full year with a hard comeback from a bad start to the season and he was tired.
Just give him some rest and he's good to go

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Until I actually see him on this side of the pond I will believe it..

I've always felt based on his actions he isn't highly motivated to come to NA and likes it at home in the KHL and will need some convincing and arm twisting.

I don't see a problem convincing someone that you offer a better package than the other guy.

If you don't then why would anyone bother to come over?

If you want the best assets be ready to pay for them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't see a problem convincing someone that you offer a better package than the other guy.

If you don't then why would anyone bother to come over?

If you want the best assets be ready to pay for them.

Problem being if a Russian Player can make $1 mil tax free to play in the KHL vs $75k on a 2-way ELC to play in the AH then the decision is obvious for young players. They would only come over if they knew they would play in the NHL.

Korshkov have never shown any interest in the Leafs to date. Never even wandered over to Toronto since being drafted for any Leaf event. After being passed over in 2 entry drafts and taken as a overager by the Leafs in his 3rd attempt he immediately signed a 2 year deal with his KHL team to stay a home and not bother even listening to any Leaf overtures.

Last edited:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Forward Yegor Korshkov after the loss in the quarterfinals of the Gagarin cup commented on the information of transitioning to Toronto in the near off season. According to him, "we must first rest"

Are you going to Toronto?

"We will see. Now you need to rest, and then carefully weigh everything."

Will you go this spring?

"Time will tell"

Now lets see Lou, what did you say my signing Bonus will be?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Korshkov have never shown any interest in the Leafs to date. Never even wandered over to Toronto since being drafted for any Leaf event. After being passed over in 2 entry drafts and taken as a overager by the Leafs in his 3rd attempt he immediately signed a 2 year deal with his KHL team to stay a home and not bother even listing to any Leaf overtures.

Well then that's that then... I guess. :rolleyes:

Good thing we Grundtrom in that round as well.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Problem being if a Russian Player can make $1 mil tax free to play in the KHL vs $75k on a 2-way ELC to play in the AH then the decision is obvious for young players. They would only come over if they knew they would play in the NHL.

Korshkov have never shown any interest in the Leafs to date. Never even wandered over to Toronto since being drafted for any Leaf event. After being passed over in 2 entry drafts and taken as a overager by the Leafs in his 3rd attempt he immediately signed a 2 year deal with his KHL team to stay a home and not bother even listening to any Leaf overtures.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I realize that, but he can develop in Russia or if he can't make the NHL he can stay in Russia.

I'm okay with the individual taking care of himself, as we know the Leafs are a results driven organization and aren't going to take care of you unless you are good enough or add value to them.

I'd rather he stay in Russia and earn himself a good living than come over and be disappointed trying to earn enough to scrape by in Toronto.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

You know this how? For all we know Lou talks to his agent on a daily basis.
Also, the Leafs have many scouts out in Europe and Russia, I'm sure they keep a close eye on Korshkov and know exactly where they stand.

It was only last year where we hadn't heard ANYTHING from the organization about Andreas Johnsson, despite his success in Sweden. Next thing you know they signed him to an ELC and he's on the Marlies.

I'm not going to worry about Korshkov for another couple years. I'd much rather add him when he's ready to come over and be "overripe" as Babs likes to say. It looks like he's in a good spot on his team at the moment to play a lot next year and further develope offensively.

Once Marleau's deal expires there will be a nice big juicy spot on the LW for him to step into, hopefully ready to dominate and not go thru the growing pains typical of a 19-22 year old rookie

Reactions: MattySnipes

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like the Leafs got themselves a Gurianov/Nichushkin type project in Korshkov, but who knows if they should have gone with more of a sure thing at 31.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

The reason he hasn't come over for any event is because KHL training camps begin in July, when the Leafs rookie development camp is, and season begin in August, before the NHL rookie tournament or training camp begins. He didn't sign a 2 year deal, he was drafted in the summer of 2016, when he was already under contract for another year. Last summer he only signed a 1 year deal in August.

Due to KHL agreements, he can't leave his teams camp, or season, to participate in NHL events. Even if he did, KHL politics causes players who commit to NHL teams generally are given less ice time and opportunities. Zaitsev suffered that, and Igor Ozhiganov's ice time suddenly decreased when it came out that he was signing here this summer.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Cor, like what you said. Korshov or anyone just can't admit they thinking about signing in North American. They will see their minutes reduced...maybe worse. Those players can't tell anyone really, not even their families.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Cor, like what you said. Korshov or anyone just can't admit they thinking about signing in North American. They will see their minutes reduced...maybe worse. Those players can't tell anyone really, not even their families.

The reason he hasn't come over for any event is because KHL training camps begin in July, when the Leafs rookie development camp is, and season begin in August, before the NHL rookie tournament or training camp begins. He didn't sign a 2 year deal, he was drafted in the summer of 2016, when he was already under contract for another year. Last summer he only signed a 1 year deal in August.

Due to KHL agreements, he can't leave his teams camp, or season, to participate in NHL events. Even if he did, KHL politics causes players who commit to NHL teams generally are given less ice time and opportunities. Zaitsev suffered that, and Igor Ozhiganov's ice time suddenly decreased when it came out that he was signing here this summer.

Enough with the conspiracies.
CSKA signed 3 Olympic-level defensemen this offseason (Marchenko, Robinson and Nesterov); they also signed Pashnin.
So, other than Kiselevich (another Olympian), basically every returning CSKA defenseman's ice time has been reduced, including captain Naumenkov. Ozhiganov isn't being singled out.

This isn't rocket science people, players generally don't (and shouldn't) talk about their future plans because they owe it to their teammates not to. Their focus and dedication should be 100% to their current team and season.
How often do we hear NHLers during the season say "I'm definitely signing somewhere else next year!"? Yeah, not very often either.

Last edited:

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
CSKA signed 3 Olympic-level defensemen this offseason (Marchenko, Robinson and Nesterov); they also signed Pashnin.
So, other than Kiselevich (another Olympian), basically every returning CSKA defenseman's ice time has been reduced, including captain Naumenkov. Ozhiganov isn't being singled out.

This isn't rocket science people, players generally don't (and shouldn't) talk about their future plans because they owe it to their teammates not to. Their focus and dedication should be 100% to their current team and season.
How often do we hear NHLers during the season say "I'm definitely signing somewhere else next year!"? Yeah, not very often either.
The proof will be in the pudding in July, after his contract expires in June.
I can't believe the Leafs didn't speak to him before drafting him, and haven't been talking to him the whole time.
And his comments about "resting " now are just smart, until his contract is up and the Leafs make their pitch.
I would wager he will sign an ELC in July.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
The proof will be in the pudding in July, after his contract expires in June.
I can't believe the Leafs didn't speak to him before drafting him, and haven't been talking to him the whole time.
And his comments about "resting " now are just smart, until his contract is up and the Leafs make their pitch.
I would wager he will sign an ELC in July.

Thouht some one posted his contract was over April 1st.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012

Precisely. Well put.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Precisely. Well put.

he is out of contract from those teammates in july (I think I read that a page or 2 back) and his season is over. Why does he need to respect his team mates so much he may never even see them again?. Unless the question was asked of him in the locker room after the final game then I could see that being valid reasoning

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
he is out of contract from those teammates in july (I think I read that a page or 2 back) and his season is over. Why does he need to respect his team mates so much he may never even see them again?. Unless the question was asked of him in the locker room after the final game then I could see that being valid reasoning

Respect were possible, I'd think, is always necessary. It's respect for team protocol which advises future situations that will require discretion.We've all been in situations where trust is compromised. Not because the person invested with information is intentionally malicious, but because they're careless. So if we can control something that could negatively affect something else, we're inclined for the benefit of all, to minimize even the perception of disruption in most business situations.

So even in a scenario as you've described it, there's reason for discretion. Until every jot and tittle is completed, the transaction isn't completed and "things happen"...So until everything is wrapped up, the less drama the better, the less distraction the better and respect for the team's wishes or your agent's, whomever, is always the path of least exposure, and not bringing attention to oneself as a kind of sideshow is always the right, respectable thing to do for internal stability.

Zine's point as a stand alone principle holds true in my humble opinion.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Respect were possible, I'd think, is always necessary. It's respect for team protocol which advises future situations that will require discretion.We've all been in situations where trust is compromised. Not because the person invested with information is intentionally malicious, but because they're careless. So if we can control something that could negatively affect something else, we're inclined for the benefit of all, to minimize even the perception of disruption in most business situations.

So even in a scenario as you've described it, there's reason for discretion. Until every jot and tittle is completed, the transaction isn't completed and "things happen"...So until everything is wrapped up, the less drama the better, the less distraction the better and respect for the team's wishes or your agent's, whomever, is always the path of least exposure, and not bringing attention to oneself as a kind of sideshow is always the right, respectable thing to do for internal stability.

Zine's point as a stand alone principle holds true in my humble opinion.

yeah I can see that. I guess we all wait and see. Leafs management would know which way he is leaning id imagine and that's all that really matters

Reactions: ITM

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Like Soshnikov and Aaltonen?

Reactions: Macallan18

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I read that Tolvanen terminated his contract recently. So maybe if there is a few months left (contract expires July, or May or whenever the consensus is) he would be able to terminate to come early. Maybe the team hats sign off on this? Not sure how it all goes down.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Like Soshnikov and Aaltonen?

Aaltonen is finish not Russian, so he wouldn't be playing @ home, and Soshnikov had an out clause in his contract that forced the Leafs to recall him by a certain date or he could terminate his NHL deal and return to the KHL.

Swedes, Fins etc would likely prefer the NHL/NA to KHL given the choice. Is Russian born players and playing in their own country where these comes into play as Russian born players are given $$$ incentives with tax free earnings and bribed with bigger contracts to remain in the KHL. This is why is referred to the "Russian factor" when it comes to risks involved in drafting Russian born players.

So we will have to see with Korshkov but I would not be surprised if his next contract is one in the KHL and not NHL/AHL.. I will need to see it to believe it in this particularly case.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->