2016 Draft Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvenMittz*

I'd have a hard time using a 2nd on Day knowing there's so many unpicked players with skill and character still on the board. Homerun picks should be done after the 2nd round, where you start to see a decline in odds of prospects making it.

I'm pretty sure we are going to try and load up on 2nds come TDL. I'm thinking we'd end up with three 2nds this draft, 4 if Pitts don't make the playoffs.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I have them about equal, with a slight preference to Puljujarvi (slightly higher ceiling imo). Of course, watching Laine and his shot with Nylander or Marner would be amazing.

I see it the opposite. I think Pulju has the higher floor but Laine the higher ceiling. Laine is definitely the better game breaker. Better offensive hockey IQ, better shot, similar playmaking ability and you can see that it seems like he has another gear that he rarely uses. Pulju to me has 2 way 70 point winger written all over him. Won't be a top goal scorer, probably capped off at like 30 goals a season, but definitely good. Laine's ceiling to me though is ridiculous.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Dont look now, but Pits have a firm hold on the last playoff spot in the east!! As it stands that 1st is 18th overall (assuming they are ousted in the first round)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Dont look now, but Pits have a firm hold on the last playoff spot in the east!! As it stands that 1st is 18th overall (assuming they are ousted in the first round)

A top 3 pick and another pick in the late teens from Pittsburgh would be incredible. Especially when you add that we already have I believe 11 picks for this draft, and will likely add another 2-3 via the TD (and likely picks in the 2017 draft as well, given that we were given 2016 draft picks last TD).

Should be three drafts in a row with 10+ picks and multiple high picks as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Injuries to the shoulder, knee and the rarer head are way harder to get over than arm and lower/upper leg injuries. As someone who has had knee and shoulder injuries and who knows people who have shoulder problems, it's a lot more impactful than most think. I play in a Sunday league soccer team and one of my friends played there for 2 years until his nagging shoulder problems just forced him to stop. He got injured years back working and dislocated his shoulder. It dislocates so easily now to the point where just going shoulder to shoulder against another guy on our team in practice caused him to dislocate it. It creates a mental block in where you go and how you play any sport, especially a sport like hockey that is so body to body.

If it got to that point, sure I'd be worried, but as of right now, no indication that is the case for him.

If it's a worry long term, medical tests and such at the NHL Draft Combine will pick that up.

Remember Sam Bennett had a bad shoulder injury? Couldn't do a pull up. Calgary made him get a surgery done and this year he looks great.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The more I think about it, I think the real winner of this lottery this year are teams that don't fall 3 spots...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The more I think about it, I think the real winner of this lottery this year are teams that don't fall 3 spots...

Finishing last just to end up with the 4th pick in the draft would be kind of a bummer.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I only look at Day as a worthwhile pick if you have more than one second rounder. You get him in the office, explain to him that play time is over, and you send him back to junior with a laundry list of expectations to meet, both on and off the ice. If you can put a fire under his arse, you have the steal of the draft, plain and simple.

This is a super howerun if you can develop him. Someone I am willing to take a risk on.

That skating with that frame and hands dont come often. As a rebuilding team with so many picks, we should take a chance on him

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I like that the NHL changed the lottery format, but it could be better IMO.

Doesn't seem right to me that the 9th place team's odds is only 4.5% lower than the 4th last team's odds.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This is a super howerun if you can develop him. Someone I am willing to take a risk on.

That skating with that frame and hands dont come often. As a rebuilding team with so many picks, we should take a chance on him

I think S. Day is a product of being thrown into the CHL too young. Destroyed his confidence and he simply wasnt ready mentally. That kind of thing can destroy a career, or take a long time to wear off.

Id be ok with him in the back end of the 2nd or early 3rd, but not much higher.

Let him play as long as possible in the CHL, and get him into a sport psychologists asap. You can see when he plays he is second or triple guessing himself.

He has the raw talent and size to be a good NHLer. We have the time, and money to spend on making that happen. Lets flex that muscle once again!

saminator

Jan 24, 2016
Which future prospect would help the leafs most other than matthews?

Out of the future 2016 draft, which player do you thinks leafs should go after and pray they get that will benefit them most. Exclude matthews since thats a given.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
For me it's 1 of the 2 Finns. They have good size which is something we lack in our high offensive prospects. I don't know them well enough to say which one is better.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Chychrun or one of the Finns. We need another big piece on defence, so yeah, Chychrun would be huge. The Finns would add something to our forward group that we don't have right now though. Laine and Nylander on a line together would be a great combo, just filthy.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Basically agree with the responses already. The Finns or Chychrun. Both fill a clear need.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Finns or Chychrun. Everyone of them brings something different to the table, but it's something we desperately need. Size, two way ability and skill. Size, grit and goal scoring. Top pairing dman potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad