2016 Draft: 3rd Pick: Markus Niemelainen

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
An interesting thing to note...he was on loan to Saginaw last season, so similar to Julius Honka, the CHL/AHL agreement likely won't apply to him.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Looks like he won't be in Saginaw next season, so that's good news.

Eliteprospects has him with HIFK(the best regular season team in the Finnish league last season) for next season.

Gazzolla asked him where he was playing next year and he said he wasn't sure if it would be Saginaw again or HIFK, Oilers will probably have a lot of input on that.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
They landed Puljujarvi and Benson with first 2 picks, so refilled forwards nicely

I complained about Jones/Paigin/Bear picks last year because I wanted all forwards, so ill give benefit of doubt to Chiarelli

i'd rather draft a bunch of potential top4 d than guys who might become a 3rd liner, we have a bunch of guys who could be filling out our bottom 6 over the next few years i'd rather draft a bunch of D and become a defense factory like Anaheim, we can draft a couple forwards each year to keep the bottom 6 potentials going.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Idk a lot about this guy, but for me he sure is an additional reason aside from Pulju to become an Oilers fan.

Was it a tactical move to draft 3 Finns to attract fans?

I like the idea off gambling on a big defenceman in the third.

Is it gambling if he's ranked as a first or borderline first rounder in most mock drafts? :laugh:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Idk a lot about this guy, but for me he sure is an additional reason aside from Pulju to become an Oilers fan.

Is it gambling if he's ranked as a first or borderline first rounder in most mock drafts? :laugh:

The Finns won the WJC and the under 18. They have lots of good players right now

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was ranked 1 spot ahead of Benson in Bob McKenzie's final list at #38. Guy could be a steal for us, very mobile and rangy. Hopefully he adds more mass and strength than Marincin and Gernat did for us.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He was ranked 1 spot ahead of Benson in Bob McKenzie's final list at #38. Guy could be a steal for us, very mobile and rangy. Hopefully he adds more mass and strength than Marincin and Gernat did for us.

Honestly he's already pretty big. He weights more today than Marincin does. He should play at 225-235, with his height.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

As you say some lists had him as a 1st rounder, some Bruins OHL followers were high on him and were thinking he has lot of potential.
Many preferred him over Stanley.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
An interesting thing to note...he was on loan to Saginaw last season, so similar to Julius Honka, the CHL/AHL agreement likely won't apply to him.

HIFK signed Niemeläinen summer 2015 and loaned him to Saginaw after his CHL import draft becuase HIFK didn't have spot for him in their FEL roster.
He could have been assigned to Kiekko-Vantaa HIFK's affiliate team in mestis ( Finland's 2nd league after FEL).
And let him play big minutes there but OHL and Saginaw was better option.

Now situation is changed HIFK has lost their key players bigger leagues after successful FEL season.
Also HIFK lost their best defenceman Yohann Auvitu who signed with New Jersey Devils and Joonas Järvinen's staying to HIFK is very unsure.
Joonas Järvinen is looking NHL contract in UFA marketing.

If Niemeläinen wants to play TOP6 minutes in HIFK next season he must battle and earn his spot in HIFK's opening lineup.
He won't get special treatment just because he's U18 WJC gold medalist and 3rd round NHL draft selection.
Niemeläinen has 2yrs left of his pro contract with HIFK and his contract finishing in FEL spring 2018.

HIFK's head coach is Antti Törmänen and he's former pro hockey player.
He played 50 regular season games in NHL 1995-1996 and his NHL team was Ottawa Senators.
Törmänen has good reputation with younger players and his coaching doesn't based any system or game-plans / game-books.

Törmänen encourages his players to create their own game-system.
And point in that is allow the players use their skills and creativity much more and develop better players.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
HIFK signed Niemeläinen summer 2015 and loaned him to Saginaw after his CHL import draft becuase HIFK didn't have spot for him in their FEL roster. He could have been assigned to Kiekko-Vantaa HIFK's affiliate team in mestis ( Finland's 2nd league after FEL) and let him play big minutes there but OHL and Saginaw was better option.

Now situation is changed HIFK lost 2 their key defenceman's Yohann Auvitu signed with New Jersey Devils and Joonas Järvinen is looking NHL contract in UFA marketing.

If Niemeläinen wants to play TOP6 minutes in FEL next season he must battle and earn his spot he won't get special treatment just because he's U18 WJC gold medalist and 3rd round NHL draft selection.

HIFK 's head coach Antti Törmänen ( played 50 regular season games in NHL 1995-1996 his NHL team was Ottawa Senators) has good reputation with younger players.
His coaching doesn't based any system or game-plans / game-books Törmänen encourages his players to create their own game-system and point in that is allow the players use their skills and creativity and develop better players.

Man, this is why I love when we draft either Finnish or Swedish players. The Swedish and Finnish posters on HFboards add so much and give awesome insight every single time.

Thanks for the info, man!

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Best choice for him is staying to Hifk for this season. Törmänen is best coach for youngsters at moment in Finnish league and this kid will have change to play with his upsides for sure.

After one season i think he should be AHL ready to play smaller ice... he is NHL ready 2018 season.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Best choice for him is staying to Hifk for this season. Törmänen is best coach for youngsters at moment in Finnish league and this kid will have change to play with his upsides for sure.

After one season i think he should be AHL ready to play smaller ice... he is NHL ready 2018 season.

Yeah coming to HIFK would be best choice for Niemeläinen right now.
But is he getting those big minutes what he needs that's the question.

Right now no-one know yet where Niemeläinen will play next season.
He has options to play OHL and HIFK but also there's theoretic chance to AHL.

Niemeläinen signed 3yrs pro contract with HIFK last summer.
So if he comes to HIFK i think HIFK wants him play 2yrs in FEL and then he's ready to come NHL.

But what are Oilers plans for Niemeläinen's development?
If Oilers sign him 3yrs ELC contract in prospect camp and Oilers loans Niemeläinen to HIFK it will burn year or two of his ELC is Oilers ready for that?.

Last edited:

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
Niemeläinen himself said to Yle, that it takes about three years him to play in NHL. So he sees himself as a project too and knows his weaknesess. I also think that IFK would be better place for him, but Oilers for sure talk with him and think all the pros and cons. In IFK he would be playing against big, older guys, so maybe the soft side would rough a little. 1 to 2 years in IFK and then one year in AHL would be ideal for him.

I also see that he never will be #1 or #2 D, more bottom pairing player IMO. But if he pans out and gets more gritt, power and mass, he will be very good addition to the back end.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I worked for the team he played for (Saginaw Spirit). He's a really soft player, and he has a ways to go, but I can see him being a good bottom pairing guy someday. He doesn't do very well under a forecheck, but if he's given time he can be a reliable breakout passer. He doesn't shoot much either and his positioning defensively can be suspect at times too. He's a work in progress but I think there's upside there.

From accounts from the Oilers they did think he was "used" very well in Saginaw, so it's probably partly that at as well, not putting the player in a position to succeed.

One would suspect we'll see him back in Europe or in the AHL-ish next season, looking for better long term development.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah coming to HIFK would be best choice for Niemeläinen right now.
But is he getting those big minutes what he needs that's the question.

Right now no-one know yet where Niemeläinen will play next season.
He has options to play OHL and HIFK but also there's theoretic chance to AHL.

Niemeläinen signed 3yrs pro contract with HIFK last summer.
So if he comes to HIFK i think HIFK wants him play 2yrs in FEL and then he's ready to come NHL.

But what are Oilers plans for Niemeläinen's development?
If Oilers sign him 3yrs ELC contract in prospect camp and Oilers loans Niemeläinen to HIFK it will burn year or two of his ELC is Oilers ready for that?.

Im not 100% sure how ELCs work with Euro players but im guessing he doesnt have to sign an ELC this year and even if he does it would slide.

I can only speculate but I think the plan will be to have him spend a year or 2 min in Finland before coming to AHL. Oilers have a number of left shooting D in AHL right now that need playing time and need to be evaluated if they have NHL futures or not. In 2 years well now who is legit and who is not. And then can completely reburish the AHl team with guys like Bear, Jones, Paigin, Nemo, Lagesson etc replacing Musil, Laggegia, Simpson, Betker (either because they make NHL or they dont get contracts)

Better to be slow with his development as he has good upside. I was looking at some mock drafts and a number of them had this kid in first round in 20s. Still surpised we got him

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00