2016 Draft: 3rd Pick: Markus Niemelainen

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The description on eliteprospects is like positive positive positive positive. You have to wonder why he was projected in second-third.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Righty or lefty?

Leftie but plays right side.

A bit low scoring for my liking but reports say hes very smart. Only first year in NA as well. Was luke warm to him at 32 but love him here

Gotta say, I am loving our draft so far. 3/3 in players I wanted

North

Jun 25, 2009
The description on eliteprospects is like positive positive positive positive. You have to wonder why he was projected in second-third.

Apparently he had a bit of an adjustment period when he moved to the OHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A complete all-around defenceman that makes the game look easy. Natural size and strength compliment his smooth stride. Very mobile skater who moves up and down the ice quickly, with acute recognition of puck and body position. His maturity and poise is actualized in his high-percentage decision-making, with and without the puck, as well as his proactive stick and body play. Very stable defensively and always takes his lane, but is quick to rush the puck up the ice as he recognizes and accounts for how much time his team is spending in their own end. All-in-all, a quick-thinking defenceman that, honestly lacking nothing, has the potential to develop into a reliable two-way defenceman

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
All picks are crap shoots from here on in. I like that he appears like a steal but dislike they broke from thier strategy to get him. They seem to do this everyyear. While everyone else passes on solid left shooting players like this for Players that actually fill organizational needs.

They said they want forwards with skill somehow doubt those are all gone.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
All picks are crap shoots from here on in. I like that he appears like a steal but dislike they broke from thier strategy to get him. They seem to do this everyyear. While everyone else passes on solid left shooting players like this for Players that actually fill organizational needs.

They said they want forwards with skill somehow doubt those are all gone.

They landed Puljujarvi and Benson with first 2 picks, so refilled forwards nicely

I complained about Jones/Paigin/Bear picks last year because I wanted all forwards, so ill give benefit of doubt to Chiarelli

Noah88

Apr 30, 2016
Hope he pans out. He is a good young Defenseman. Not spectaculair, but solid all around and seems pretty smart. And big of course.
Good pick, imo.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I worked for the team he played for (Saginaw Spirit). He's a really soft player, and he has a ways to go, but I can see him being a good bottom pairing guy someday. He doesn't do very well under a forecheck, but if he's given time he can be a reliable breakout passer. He doesn't shoot much either and his positioning defensively can be suspect at times too. He's a work in progress but I think there's upside there.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Matheson suggested two names for the Oilers 32nd last night.

Benson and this guy.

Maybe he's still more connected than some are thinking.

He was ranked 38 on Bob McKenzie's list.

Markus was a very good choice here and i was frankly surprised he was still available. looks like the scouting staff has had an easy time with their first 3 picks because these 3 have all fallen into the Oilers lap! and Markus can apparently play effectively on the right side as well. :yo:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Interesting quirk is that he was loaned to Saginaw this year. So should he completely dominate next year he is eligible for AHL any time

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I worked for the team he played for (Saginaw Spirit). He's a really soft player, and he has a ways to go, but I can see him being a good bottom pairing guy someday. He doesn't do very well under a forecheck, but if he's given time he can be a reliable breakout passer. He doesn't shoot much either and his positioning defensively can be suspect at times too. He's a work in progress but I think there's upside there.

About this.

Think he's a bottom pairing D-man if anything but he might make it because of his size and ability to move at that size.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

This is a bang on report at the moment, I'd take it word for word, corroborates perfectly with the 6 games I viewed of him this year (including 2 U18 and 4 in Saginaw).

The one thing I will add that is a positive for a player of his size and skating ability - he does not make the boneheaded play that results in a goal for the other team, if you score on him it's because you trapped him on the forecheck probably - he makes low-danger plays which is good for a big d-man. He started to show some more bite around the net as the year went on as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4