OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
You win as a team and you lose as a team. I'm not a fan at all of the MOP or MVP Bo Levi Mitchell throwing Dickenson under the bus after the game. All that stuff should be done behind closed doors man to man.:shakehead

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
You win as a team and you lose as a team. I'm not a fan at all of the MOP or MVP Bo Levi Mitchell throwing Dickenson under the bus after the game. All that stuff should be done behind closed doors man to man.:shakehead

What did he say? I don't follow CFL a ton, atleast outside Bombers, but never liked the arrogance of BLM, glad they lost.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I missed that what did he say?

By the way that was an amazing game.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I missed that what did he say?

By the way that was an amazing game.

I suspect it's this comment:

“I was about to celebrate—thought the game was over,†said Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player, who was on the sidelines for the final play of regulation. “We had the ball on the one- or two-yard line. I don’t know, I thought it was gonna be in Messam’s and my hands. But either way, whatever the call is we gotta execute the call. That’s a fact.â€

Clearly he felt the coach made a mistake in not having him on the field for the short yardage play.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I'm happy Ottawa won, Calgary was way too cocky.

That said, I'm ticked that and expansion team won the Grey Cup in 3 years!

It's been 26 years and counting for us.

I said this exact same thing to one of my Ottawa friends and he replied with "well we've been waiting 40 years for this one"

Made me pause and think about how tough things have been for Ottawa football fans. I was cheering for the redblacks to win it, didn't think they would though. So happy to be wrong.

Told him still doesn't change the fact the bombers drought has been more than a quarter century :laugh:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I wish they were the Renegades not the Redblacks but besides that, happy for them. Especially happy to see the shots of Mitchell on the sidelines :D

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

Mitchell's still a kid (relatively). and he was upset from the loss.
look, it was a play call and it was probably not the best.
why didn't they just give it to Messam? who knows. maybe they had some data on the RedBlacks' goalline stands that made rushing it seem silly.
if it wasn't for that ridiculous hand-to-the-heal tackle, it could have been a completely different outcome.
and let's not forget that Mitchell threw a killer pass to Jorden on the 1st OT play and Jorden dropped what was a difficult but makeable reception.

that was one of the best CFL games i've seen in ages. incredibly compelling, incredibly entertaining. some great plays.
love Sinopoli as a receiver. what a great story.

the only thing missing was having Russ Jackson on the field, with the players, celebrating. that would have been great
the NFL should be studying the OT format and adopt it. guaranteed scoring and action and you don't end in a tie.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I hated the call on the 2 yard line.

Sneak - Sneak, or give to Messam, the best interior power rusher in the CFL.

That said, (and I was cheering for CGY) this was the best grey cup i've watched. The only two that compare are the EDM-MTL overtime, and the 13th man game, an instant classic, and very happy for Henry Burris.

I still don't have him as a legend of the Canadian game, but he's #1 after the GOAT candidates. (Moon, Calvillo, Flutie)

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I probably only catch a couple games a year. But that game was amazing. Cheered for the red blacks just because I had no stake in the game so I went with the under dogs. Plus Burris seems like a class act.

A game like that has got to do wonders for the CFL. a lot of casual fans watch the GC. That game is bound to hook a lot of em.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think at that point in the season you'd want the ball in the hands of the league MOP at that particular moment.

Nothing wrong with the play call however, Kenneh just made a play, that's football.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
http://www.tsn.ca/list-of-pending-cfl-s-free-agents-1.620485

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
PLAYER POSITION STATUS
Darwin Adams WR International
Khalil Bass LB International
Jesse Briggs LB National
Stanley Bryant OL International
Tony Burnett LB International
Euclid Cummings DT International
Dominique Davis QB International
Clarence Denmark WR International
Kevin Glenn QB International
Tori Gurley WR International
Victor Harris CB International
Jonathan Hefney DB International
Sam Hurl LB National
Jeff Keeping OL National
Rory Kohlert WR National
Quincy McDuffie WR International
Justin Medlock K International
Matt Nichols QB International
Chad Rempel LS National
Gerrard Sheppard WR International
Teague Sherman DB National
Alex Suber DB International
James Tuck FB National

IMO, guys that they have to bring back K Medlock, LT Bryant, WR Adams, WR Gurley, LB Briggs, LB Burnett, LB Bass.

I'd like to see them bring back DB Sherman, DT Cummings, QB Nichols (if he will sign a more reasonable 200K backup deal with play incentives that could get him to the 450K starting money that he wants), QB Glenn (if Nichols continues to demand starting money).

They should part ways with OL Keeping, WR Kohlert, LB Hurl, WR Sheppard.

The rest I don't care about. Of note Hefney and Suber are only on there since they signed 1 day retirement contracts last year.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
IMO, guys that they have to bring back K Medlock, LT Bryant, WR Adams, WR Gurley, LB Briggs, LB Burnett, LB Bass.

I'd like to see them bring back DB Sherman, DT Cummings, QB Nichols (if he will sign a more reasonable 200K backup deal with play incentives that could get him to the 450K starting money that he wants), QB Glenn (if Nichols continues to demand starting money).

They should part ways with OL Keeping, WR Kohlert, LB Hurl, WR Sheppard.

The rest I don't care about. Of note Hefney and Suber are only on there since they signed 1 day retirement contracts last year.

A part of me wanted to quote your entire TLDR post just to say I agree, but that would quickly get me ***** status in the mods eyes, I figure. :laugh: I would include McDuffie to re-sign.

Who are the free agents on the other teams you would like to see pursued?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
A part of me wanted to quote your entire TLDR post just to say I agree, but that would quickly get me ***** status in the mods eyes, I figure. :laugh: I would include McDuffie to re-sign.

Oops. Only meant to post bb fas. On phone cant fix haha.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I wasn't entirely sure where to include McDuffie. He was ok as a returner and receiver, but not outstanding. I'd probably bring him back as well.

The big question mark to me is QB obviously. Nichols apparently wants league average starting money and I really hope the Bombers don't give him that. Like I said something around 200K with incentives to get him up to league average starting money at 450K if he continues to play well I'd be ok with. If Nichols continues to want big money let him walk. Bring back Glenn, look at maybe a Tomas DeMarco for depth as well. Then look to the trade market at James Franklin or Drew Tate.

An interesting name is Winnipeg native Kienan Lafrance with the Redblacks. Pascal Lochard was signed to the national backup to Andrew Harris last year but I don't know that got what they wanted out of him. Lafrance looked good down the stretch and might be another option as a backup to Harris.

I think they target a high quality international RT. I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the league's OL to say for sure which one. Maybe two tackles if they can't bring Bryant back. I think the interior line is solid with Bond, Goosen, Chung but the tackles could use work.

I wouldn't mind them adding a receiver. I still think they need more size in the receiving corps. Greg Ellingson, Jeff Fuller, Bo Burnham, Nick Moore, Terrell Sinkfield would be good adds. Not all of those guys are the biggest, but adds some physicality to our receiving corps. Not sure what they will do with national starting spot but I am fairly certain Kohlert is done. Might finally be time for Addison Richards.

Defensively a big interior lineman would be nice, particularly if they lose Cummings. Jabar Westerman as a national would be a hell of a coup and allow use to start another international elsewhere. Allan Michael Cash or bringing back Moton Hopkins would be good options. There is a huge abundance of quality pass rushing DE's on the market, but I'm thinking the Bombers will want to see what they can get out of a healthy Cole to pair with Westerman.

I'm not sold that they need to do much in the defensive secondary. I like the Randle, Fogg, Heath, Roberts/Frederik, Loffler back field. I would like the swap Wild out for a better run defender LB but I don't think it's likely.

Overall I think the Bombers will be much less active this year than in year's past. Maybe one big signing, but mostly it'll be re-signing players and bringing in depth.

I'm intrigued for the draft. We have the #1 and I believe #5 (or might be #6 not sure). The only draft list I can find is from September so far this year.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/09/15/senior-headlines-central-scouting-bureau-september-rankings/

A RB like Akeel Lynch that can learn behind Harris is intriguing. A receiver like Vandervoort, Simonise, Behar could be a day one starter with just Feoli-Gudino and Richards to compete with. If any of the o-lineman like Senior, Spooner, Gray can potentially be starting tackles at the CFL level that could be an option. Or maybe Boateng or Ankou could be replacement for Shologan or young developing player behind Westerman (I don't know if either is DT or DE).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
http://www.tsn.ca/bombers-lock-up-coach-o-shea-gm-walters-1.627643

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers locked up head coach Mike O'Shea and also added three more years to the end of GM Kyle Walters' contract.
The Blue Bombers announced both O'Shea and Walters signed three-year contract extensions tying O'Shea to the team through the 2019 season and Walters through 2020.

As expected Bombers retain Walters and O'Shea. No matter how it ended everyone has to admit it was a successful year. I said at outset to earn another contract O'Shea needed to be 9-9 or better, in playoffs, and show competitively all year and in playoffs. Finished with a slightly better record than that at 11-7 and damn near advanced to West Final. So successful year.

The issue is now it gets tougher. Walters and O'Shea now have expectations on them. While I think another similiar year probably keeps their job, anything less than 10-8 and a competitive playoff game and they are turfed. And we have no longterm option at QB still. In the next two years we need a Grey Cup appearance or they're turfed. I've long said I thought O'Shea and Walters could lead us out of the running joke category (albeit I started to doubt myself early this year), but now they have to do more. Now the pressure is on to become real winning team.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree, we need to develop some continuity in this organization.

Nevertheless, an expansion team won the Grey Cup in its third year I need to see a championship soon.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

As expected Bombers retain Walters and O'Shea. No matter how it ended everyone has to admit it was a successful year. I said at outset to earn another contract O'Shea needed to be 9-9 or better, in playoffs, and show competitively all year and in playoffs. Finished with a slightly better record than that at 11-7 and damn near advanced to West Final. So successful year.

The issue is now it gets tougher. Walters and O'Shea now have expectations on them. While I think another similiar year probably keeps their job, anything less than 10-8 and a competitive playoff game and they are turfed. And we have no longterm option at QB still. In the next two years we need a Grey Cup appearance or they're turfed. I've long said I thought O'Shea and Walters could lead us out of the running joke category (albeit I started to doubt myself early this year), but now they have to do more. Now the pressure is on to become real winning team.

It all will come down to playoff performance. A good regular season keeps them around. A meh regular season and good playoffs keep them around. But a meh season, and meh playoffs, their jobs will have to be questioned.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Having performance expectations of your GM and head coach? What a novel idea. I wonder if any other teams in town have ever thought of that?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It all will come down to playoff performance. A good regular season keeps them around. A meh regular season and good playoffs keep them around. But a meh season, and meh playoffs, their jobs will have to be questioned.

I think next year if they are .500 or better and lose in semi-finals they will hold onto their jobs for additional year. Worse and they are in danger. But then the year after would mean Grey Appearance or dominant regular season to have a chance to hold onto their jobs. If they appear in Grey Cup next year they buy a couple years leeway. Providing the team doesn't crash to bottom.

Having performance expectations of your GM and head coach? What a novel idea. I wonder if any other teams in town have ever thought of that?

I phrased that a little wrong. Bombers were a joke when Walters/O'Shea came in. Their expectations was to rise out of that. They accomplished that. Now they have expectations to win and to do it consistently.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I see it differently. This suggests to me that both O'Shea and Walters are guaranteed to stick around into the 2018 season. No way that they're going to eat that much contract by turfing them at the end of next season, doesn't matter how bad the Bombers do.

Can't say I'm thrilled with them being afforded that kind of job security. Two year extensions make more sense to me, but I guess three year extensions are pretty standard?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I see it differently. This suggests to me that both O'Shea and Walters are guaranteed to stick around into the 2018 season. No way that they're going to eat that much contract by turfing them at the end of next season, doesn't matter how bad the Bombers do.

Can't say I'm thrilled with them being afforded that kind of job security. Two year extensions make more sense to me, but I guess three year extensions are pretty standard?

3 years are pretty standard. Bombers not too long ago were paying 3 head coaching salaries, I don't think they have nearly as much security as you think. Walters maybe, but if Bombers stumble to a 5-6 win season next O'Shea will be canned.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
3 years are pretty standard. Bombers not too long ago were paying 3 head coaching salaries, I don't think they have nearly as much security as you think. Walters maybe, but if Bombers stumble to a 5-6 win season next O'Shea will be canned.

Yeah, but that was a result of the gong show days of 2008-2013 (End of Bauer's reign, Kelly, Mack, Buchko, etc.), don't think it's likely at all that Wade Miller will eat more than a year's worth of salary for either O'Shea or Walters.

Don't hate that they were extended, Walters and O'Shea both deserve some credit for engineering a pretty impressive turnaround. I would've been more comfortable with two year extensions, that's all. Still not entirely convinced that this turnaround is more than a blip on the radar (see: 2011 Bombers).

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yeah, but that was a result of the gong show days of 2008-2013 (End of Bauer's reign, Kelly, Mack, Buchko, etc.), don't think it's likely at all that Wade Miller will eat more than a year's worth of salary for either O'Shea or Walters.

Don't hate that they were extended, Walters and O'Shea both deserve some credit for engineering a pretty impressive turnaround. I would've been more comfortable with two year extensions, that's all. Still not entirely convinced that this turnaround is more than a blip on the radar (see: 2011 Bombers).

will MOS being a legit Toronto target, it would be laughable to offer him 2 years.
3 years is the right move.
Bombers stink next year and you re-assess. doubt they will. Sask will probably stink more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad