OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So O'Shea says he accepts no blame for his decision to go for an unmake-able field goal on 3rd and 4, would have been impressed if he said he made a mistake!:help:

Richie Hall is probably going to get canned, his prevent defense or whatever it was could be called a failure when the Blue D gave up the most yards in the CFL!:shakehead

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I'm impressed with how the reporters really gave it to him. Even when he defended it they kept coming at him, was pretty funny. Something along the lines of, "So even though this has only been done one other time in CFL history, you would still go and make the same decision?" lol.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I took the Sun up on their offer to be the Boss. I fired everybody from Miller on down to the lowliest assistant coach. Gone, gone I say! Ha ha, I'm drunk with power. Or maybe it's the Saison I had with lunch just now.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
First one is misleading. 33% chance of converting with 4 yards to go? That's small sample size at work. I'm guessing the conversion rate of [any down] and 4 to go would be much closer to 60% in the CFL.

I don't know how Medlock figures the second. His pregame range (apparently) was 57 yards. Maybe he's hit 61 yarders before in practice, but remember that it's a lot different when you're kicking against field goal blockers and need to get elevation on the kick. I'd put it at about a 5% chance of success, and even that's probably a bit generous.

I'll put a little more weight on what Medlock says than you.

And FYI you read my post wrong. Got the two stats mixed up.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Halfways heard on 1290 a day or two ago (can't remember who exactly) that due to some contract or ratio manipulation thingy that Medlock is a free agent after this season. And the same applies to one of their O linemen. It'd be the ***** to lose the team's MVP.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Halfways heard on 1290 a day or two ago (can't remember who exactly) that due to some contract or ratio manipulation thingy that Medlock is a free agent after this season. And the same applies to one of their O linemen. It'd be the ***** to lose the team's MVP.

They were talking about it yesterday afternoon on H&L, basically they re-worked their contracts so that they can fit under the cap, so while they're technically free agents, it'll be a long shot that they actually sign elsewhere. It'll probably get done by the Dec 1 deadline, but it's hard with the CFL sometimes because they don't report news like that until after the Grey Cup.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
They were talking about it yesterday afternoon on H&L, basically they re-worked their contracts so that they can fit under the cap, so while they're technically free agents, it'll be a long shot that they actually sign elsewhere. It'll probably get done by the Dec 1 deadline, but it's hard with the CFL sometimes because they don't report news like that until after the Grey Cup.

Not to get too punny, but if MOS decides to jump ship to the Argos, don't be surprised if he brings a boatload of our free agents with him.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well, he can only take as many as their cap will allow, I'm not sure why he would want to take a boatload and I don't know why a boatload would bother going regardless. Besides, from the list below how many do we really care about, especially considering we own the 1st pick in the draft this year (courtesy of the Argos).

Nichols, Bass, Adams, Bryant, Medlock? Denmark was a good story but he was expendable once and will be again. The list below may seem large but very few are core players. I don't think there is too much to worry about most of them going anywhere anyway.

QB Matt Nichols
QB Dominique Davis
QB Kevin Glenn
QB Bryan Bennett
Rec Darvin Adams
Rec Tori Gurley
Rec Clarence Denmark
Rec Thomas Mayo
Rec Rory Kohlert
Rec / KR Quincy McDuffie
Rec Kieren Duncan
OL Stanley Bryant
OL Jeff Keeping
FB James Tuck
DT Euclid Cummings
DL Brandon Tennant
LB Khalil Bass
LB Teague Sherman
LB Jesse Briggs
LB Tony Burnett
LB Sam Hurl
LB Justin Warden
DB Julian Posey
DB Chris Greenwood
K Justin Medlock
LS Chad Rempel

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'll put a little more weight on what Medlock says than you.

And FYI you read my post wrong. Got the two stats mixed up.

Yep, and that's your prerogative. Medlock's a pro athlete, I'm sure if you asked how many kicks he expects to make inside of 50, he'd answer 100%. His range at pregame was apparently 57 yards, so...

But even if we take the 1 in 3 chance at face value, it's still not playing the percentages. You actually believe that you have a less than 1 in 3 chance of gaining 4 or more yards from scrimmage in the CFL? That's nonsensical. It was a terrible decision by O'Shea.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Yep, and that's your prerogative. Medlock's a pro athlete, I'm sure if you asked how many kicks he expects to make inside of 50, he'd answer 100%. His range at pregame was apparently 57 yards, so...

But even if we take the 1 in 3 chance at face value, it's still not playing the percentages. You actually believe that you have a less than 1 in 3 chance of gaining 4 or more yards from scrimmage in the CFL? That's nonsensical. It was a terrible decision by O'Shea.

While it's a small sample size, 3 of 12 third and four converts were successful this past season. And only 18% of all third down gambles were successful in 2016.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I share your sentiment but to each their own. Both calls are second guessed if missed.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Well, he can only take as many as their cap will allow, I'm not sure why he would want to take a boatload and I don't know why a boatload would bother going regardless. Besides, from the list below how many do we really care about, especially considering we own the 1st pick in the draft this year (courtesy of the Argos).

Nichols, Bass, Adams, Bryant, Medlock? Denmark was a good story but he was expendable once and will be again. The list below may seem large but very few are core players. I don't think there is too much to worry about most of them going anywhere anyway.

QB Matt Nichols
QB Dominique Davis
QB Kevin Glenn
QB Bryan Bennett
Rec Darvin Adams
Rec Tori Gurley
Rec Clarence Denmark
Rec Thomas Mayo
Rec Rory Kohlert
Rec / KR Quincy McDuffie
Rec Kieren Duncan
OL Stanley Bryant
OL Jeff Keeping
FB James Tuck
DT Euclid Cummings
DL Brandon Tennant
LB Khalil Bass
LB Teague Sherman
LB Jesse Briggs
LB Tony Burnett
LB Sam Hurl
LB Justin Warden
DB Julian Posey
DB Chris Greenwood
K Justin Medlock
LS Chad Rempel

OK, boatload was wordplay. Thought that was obvious. Why would they follow? Supposedly MOS is much loved in the room. All it takes is 2 key players (Nichols, Medlock) and the Bombers are no longer a playoff team.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
If the HC job does open up in Toronto O'Shea as a free agent would probably be interested in the position being a Southern Ontario guy and former player, but does he want to start all over again, with what he has done here probably sign here but you never know.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
OK, boatload was wordplay. Thought that was obvious. Why would they follow? Supposedly MOS is much loved in the room. All it takes is 2 key players (Nichols, Medlock) and the Bombers are no longer a playoff team.

I know it was wordplay (well done btw), it's why I reused it twice back :laugh:. :laugh:

Apparently Medlock isn't much of a concern, he restructured his deal this season for the Bombers to fit under the cap and is considered a very good bet to come back. I also don't see Nichols wanting to go to the same team that just traded it's first round pick for the guy he had to beat out last season for his starter's job. He doesn't strike me as an MOS guy, I'd guess he's more of a LaPo guy, he's operating in a favourable system right now that's allowed him to be successful. Toronto doesn't seem a likely destination for him, or a very favourable one imo.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
While it's a small sample size, 3 of 12 third and four converts were successful this past season. And only 18% of all third down gambles were successful in 2016.

Re: the bolded, I'm assuming by gambles you mean 3rd and 2 or longer?

Came across this interesting article:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/chris-jones--failed-third-down-gamble-had-merit--but-wasn-t-necessarily-worth-it-011518710.html

And this interesting table from the article (EDIT: should mention, this is CFL data from 2008 to 2012):

0e6095c0-4217-11e5-963e-d9bd7de727b6_CFL-conversion-chart-2008-2012.jpg

So I was off when I said 60%, 2nd and 4 is more of a 50-50 proposition.

Last edited:

SIV

Mar 10, 2013

Question....what's the percentage of 61 yard field goal attempts this past season?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
So that's 9 other teams who've won a Grey Cup since the Bombers last now.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm happy Ottawa won, Calgary was way too cocky.

That said, I'm ticked that and expansion team won the Grey Cup in 3 years!

It's been 26 years and counting for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad