OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
well there ya go.
Nichols re-signs, as per twitter.

at least the team will be consistent. not much has changed since last year. so i'm very optimistic.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Nice. Good signing IMHO.

at least one poster here will strongly disagree :laugh::laugh:

i think the signing's a no brainer. you go with what you know works versus experiments like The Willie Years.

the only difference now is the Bombers will hopefully bring in a good, young backup that can get garbage time and show that they can take over for Nichols if need be.

look. we all know that Nichols isn't a stud. but he works damn well within our system and, considering our revolving cast of receivers last year, he put up great numbers.

the funny thing? as unsexy as Nichols is, if he actually plays well during his contract, he'll be the best QB we've had since Dunnigan. think about that.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

i think the signing's a no brainer. you go with what you know works versus experiments like The Willie Years.

the only difference now is the Bombers will hopefully bring in a good, young backup that can get garbage time and show that they can take over for Nichols if need be.

look. we all know that Nichols isn't a stud. but he works damn well within our system and, considering our revolving cast of receivers last year, he put up great numbers.

the funny thing? as unsexy as Nichols is, if he actually plays well during his contract, he'll be the best QB we've had since Dunnigan. think about that.

I'm with you. Nichols is ok. Let's not forget last year was his best EVER. But now we are relying on a scouting staff that couldn't do better than Brian Brohm for a backup for not one but TWO years to find a new QB.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Nichols will never ever be anywhere CLOSE to Khari. Not even in the same conversation. Hell Glenn won an MOP and tossed over 5K yards. No chance Nichols even approaches THAT, nevermind Khari. Best QB since the dark days of Mike Kelly, sure ok.

He is at best a very low end starter if you like him, at worst a mid range backup (where I see him). About the 8th-12th best QB in the CFL. That's fine when your a team desperate for stability, it's not what you strive for and not what you win Grey Cups with. They need a guy that can come in and steal Nichol's job right from camp, not another long term backup project. I still hold out hope they target Franklin in Edmonton and let him compete with Nichols in camp.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He is at best a very low end starter if you like him, at worst a mid range backup (where I see him). About the 8th-12th best QB in the CFL. That's fine when your a team desperate for stability, it's not what you strive for and not what you win Grey Cups with. They need a guy that can come in and steal Nichol's job right from camp, not another long term backup project. I still hold out hope they target Franklin in Edmonton and let him compete with Nichols in camp.

I think they're a little gun shy to spend more assets to get Franklin out of Edmonton after what happened with Willy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Nichols will never ever be anywhere CLOSE to Khari. Not even in the same conversation. Hell Glenn won an MOP and tossed over 5K yards. No chance Nichols even approaches THAT, nevermind Khari. Best QB since the dark days of Mike Kelly, sure ok.

You may be right about Nichols but it's not like the next coming of Khari Jones is out there right now, I have my doubts Franklin will ever be in the same conversation as Jones either. But I agree the smart thing to do would be to bring him in and compete for the job.

What a coincidence that Jones and Glenn both had their best season with the same receiver, what's his name? Milt something.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I like this quote from Nichols in the Sun:

"I truly feel we are on the precipice... from top to bottom,... I am the quarterback to lead them there".

OK, I condensed it slightly. It may have lost some of its original meaning. :naughty:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/01/18/bombers-sign-qb-nichols-to-three-year-contract

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Glenn will be in the CFL HoF. Top 10 in yards, TD's and completion percentage.

He was a legitimate CFL starter last year. I would take any real starter over him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
.500ish? He was 10-3 last year...

Bombers finished 11-7. I don't think record is any different if Nichols starts 18 games. If the defense isn't dominant I have trouble seeing a Nichols led team make the playoffs.

On 1290 yesterday Walters was talking about the fact that while Glenn is going to explore the market there is a possibility he still comes back to Winnipeg. That might not be the worst backup.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
IMO 400+ thousand per year is an awful big gamble on Nichols. To me he's a fairly average quarterback & we better have a pretty good back-up because I think we'll need to go to both. Hope I'm wrong and Nichol's season last year wasn't just a mirage, but I need to see a lot more to be convinced.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
IMO 400+ thousand per year is an awful big gamble on Nichols. To me he's a fairly average quarterback & we better have a pretty good back-up because I think we'll need to go to both. Hope I'm wrong and Nichol's season last year wasn't just a mirage, but I need to see a lot more to be convinced.

Much like the Jets, the Bombers have to overpay to attract free agents to Winnipeg. :sarcasm:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
According to Darren Cameron, Director of Communications and Media Relations for the Bombers, that one punch-in-the-gut loss in the semi-final last year has made the Bombers a stronger team this year.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/30/blog-moving-forward-2/

Sadly, that four game kick-in-the-crotch sweep by Anaheim didn't have that effect on the Jets, so not sure where this losing breeds winning optimism comes from. Then again, I don't get where optimism in general comes from.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
According to Darren Cameron, Director of Communications and Media Relations for the Bombers, that one punch-in-the-gut loss in the semi-final last year has made the Bombers a stronger team this year.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/30/blog-moving-forward-2/

Sadly, that four game kick-in-the-crotch sweep by Anaheim didn't have that effect on the Jets, so not sure where this losing breeds winning optimism comes from. Then again, I don't get where optimism in general comes from.

Most of the time, at least in the NHL, teams do lose out a year or two before making it to the cup (as in the experience makes them a better team).

Don't know how true it is for CFL teams.

What might make the difference is it sounds like Bombers are going in big for DT Jabarr Westerman and RB Kienan Lafrance. Two big national pickups that should be big improvements on the guys they just released in DT Keith Shologan and RB Pascal Lochard.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Most of the time, at least in the NHL, teams do lose out a year or two before making it to the cup (as in the experience makes them a better team).

What might make the difference is it sounds like Bombers are going in big for DT Jabarr Westerman and RB Kienan Lafrance. Two big national pickups that should be big improvements on the guys they just released in DT Keith Shologan and RB Pascal Lochard.

And if Nichols regresses to his norm, or suffers a significant injury? I am very uncomfortable with our QB situation. Unless something is in the works, I just don't see the logic in letting an experienced backup like Glenn walk.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Those two would be impact players for the BB.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Not surprised by the release of Shologan he did nothing last year, a bit surprised about Lochard, will be interested to see if they try to go with 3 imports on the o line again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->