OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This is the move of a coach who knows his ass is grass in the coming weeks.

Doesn't hurt at this point. We're going nowhere with Willy. Worst case scenario is we hgo nowhere slowly with Nichols.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This is the move of a coach who knows his ass is grass in the coming weeks.

Doesn't hurt at this point. We're going nowhere with Willy. Worst case scenario is we hgo nowhere slowly with Nichols.

Surprised it took this long for the bolded to be said, you're absolutely correct.

O'Shea has been moved from the hot seat to the guillotine. Unless they keep it close vs. Edmonton, I don't see how he survives into August.

AngelicAssassin*

As long as it's not an internal replacement for O'Shea. It can't be LaPo.

It has to be someone from outside the organization not some nepotistic or cronyism appointment.

I want someone who is going to come in and shoot from the hip, preferably with a loaded gun at some of the bigger wastes of flesh on this team.

And if we are going to lose how about playing some of the green as grass rookies on D who were giving it their all till Willy threw the pick 6 completely turning the momentum around. That patchwork D gave up one late TD, the only scoring against the D the entire second half.

Anybody know anything about the new DB Chris Greenwood?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
As long as it's not an internal replacement for O'Shea. It can't be LaPo.

It has to be someone from outside the organization not some nepotistic or cronyism appointment.

I want someone who is going to come in and shoot from the hip, preferably with a loaded gun at some of the bigger wastes of flesh on this team.

And if we are going to lose how about playing some of the green as grass rookies on D who were giving it their all till Willy threw the pick 6 completely turning the momentum around. That patchwork D gave up one late TD, the only scoring against the D the entire second half.

Anybody know anything about the new DB Chris Greenwood?

I'm betting that Richie Hall will take over on an interim basis. If he doesn't get them to the playoffs (hey, it's the CFL, it's still possible), then it's going to be a complete house cleaning from the GM position on down.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well this ought to be entertaining. I predict the bombers lose by 40 instead of 30 now. Nichols is really bad.

I don't recall even the real Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye ever being this negative. I guess that's what the Bombers do to us.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I 100% expect it to be LaPo taking over if O'Shea gets fired.

Hell i assume that's why they brought him in. To have a guy who has some head coaching experience to make a smoother transition, as if they knew O'Shea wasn't longed for the job. (I know Hall has experience as a HC too, but he wasn't exactly all that good either.)

I also want to believe LaPo's playcalling has been so awful because he's trying to cater to Willy's "strengths" but i don't think i'm naive enough for that.

At this point i'd like to see the whole organization purged again. Miller? Gone. Walters? Gone. The coaching staff? Gone. Mayyyybe keep LaPo so you don't have to pay him twice over and continue to look like laughing stocks after you just hired him like 6th months ago. Willy? Gone.

It blows my mind. They could have had Henry Burris, Kevin Glenn, Zach Collaros, Mike Rielly, and then Trevor Harris. They somehow picked the worst of the bunch.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I 100% expect it to be LaPo taking over if O'Shea gets fired.

Hell i assume that's why they brought him in. To have a guy who has some head coaching experience to make a smoother transition, as if they knew O'Shea wasn't longed for the job. (I know Hall has experience as a HC too, but he wasn't exactly all that good either.)

I also want to believe LaPo's playcalling has been so awful because he's trying to cater to Willy's "strengths" but i don't think i'm naive enough for that.

At this point i'd like to see the whole organization purged again. Miller? Gone. Walters? Gone. The coaching staff? Gone. Mayyyybe keep LaPo so you don't have to pay him twice over and continue to look like laughing stocks after you just hired him like 6th months ago. Willy? Gone.

It blows my mind. They could have had Henry Burris, Kevin Glenn, Zach Collaros, Mike Rielly, and then Trevor Harris. They somehow picked the worst of the bunch.

Didn't the Blue Bombers go hard for both those guys? It wasn't for a lack of trying.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
As soon as they started all those announcements of the FA signings I knew this team was done. Not only did that show once again Walters couldn't find any new Americans again but it was poor team building. Spending big money on an American kicker, little receivers from a 3 win team and over paying for a running back (Canadian or not). Harris has been good but as far as money allocation goes it's a junk move. You don't pay big money on a running back, you put that money and more on a guy like Ted Laurent A DT ratio changer. In 3 years there is no excuse for not finding a RB and receivers, they should be cheap! I had previously complained about Macho from because of what I saw in preseason but he's been making some big plays.

Gee you wonder why this offense doesn't go down the field more? Kohlert doesn't have the speed or vertical, he's a Canadian possession receiver, nothing wrong with that but it isn't getting you down field. Dressler and Smith are too short, they are underneath, get the ball in their hands and let them make plays guys. Adams is the only down field receiver on the team, cover him and that's it for the downfield threat. Dressler or Smith pick one they are redundant pieces. Get a receiver with size, I'd rather put Mayo in for one of them who can add another dynamic. But I'd guess short passes are the bread and butter of Lapos offense if he helped choose guys like Smith and Dressler.

I thought Walters was our Canadian draft savior? He has 2 players that he drafted starting? Waggoner a back up at best DB for a top pick in the draft? Pathetic. Walters is clueless.

So now people are calling for O'Shea. Really? Well that's Walters last meat shield. He's blamed every coordinator twice! Remember when it was all Etch's fault? Remember when it was all Marcel's fault (then Walters gets rid of 2 receivers, running back and There isn't a OC in the history of football who could win with Brohm. Brohm who was the 2nd best QB Walters could find for 2 SEASONS! Now we have moved on to the head coach but I bet they get fired as a package just because a new GM will want his own man anyway. This isn't a coaching problem. This is a talent problem. if you think firing O'Shea or changing to Nichols is going to save this team you are living in Walters world of denile.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I like the fact they spent money for players. But it's time to spend money to bring in proven management and coaching. But it really all comes down to having a QB. We have not had that in a while now.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Lots of guys out, too bad neufeld out six weeks you guys will be disappointed ;)
Might be good to get some young hungry blood in the lineup, we will see I guess.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
As soon as they started all those announcements of the FA signings I knew this team was done. Not only did that show once again Walters couldn't find any new Americans again but it was poor team building. Spending big money on an American kicker, little receivers from a 3 win team and over paying for a running back (Canadian or not). Harris has been good but as far as money allocation goes it's a junk move. You don't pay big money on a running back, you put that money and more on a guy like Ted Laurent A DT ratio changer. In 3 years there is no excuse for not finding a RB and receivers, they should be cheap! I had previously complained about Macho from because of what I saw in preseason but he's been making some big plays.

Gee you wonder why this offense doesn't go down the field more? Kohlert doesn't have the speed or vertical, he's a Canadian possession receiver, nothing wrong with that but it isn't getting you down field. Dressler and Smith are too short, they are underneath, get the ball in their hands and let them make plays guys. Adams is the only down field receiver on the team, cover him and that's it for the downfield threat. Dressler or Smith pick one they are redundant pieces. Get a receiver with size, I'd rather put Mayo in for one of them who can add another dynamic. But I'd guess short passes are the bread and butter of Lapos offense if he helped choose guys like Smith and Dressler.

I thought Walters was our Canadian draft savior? He has 2 players that he drafted starting? Waggoner a back up at best DB for a top pick in the draft? Pathetic. Walters is clueless.

So now people are calling for O'Shea. Really? Well that's Walters last meat shield. He's blamed every coordinator twice! Remember when it was all Etch's fault? Remember when it was all Marcel's fault (then Walters gets rid of 2 receivers, running back and There isn't a OC in the history of football who could win with Brohm. Brohm who was the 2nd best QB Walters could find for 2 SEASONS! Now we have moved on to the head coach but I bet they get fired as a package just because a new GM will want his own man anyway. This isn't a coaching problem. This is a talent problem. if you think firing O'Shea or changing to Nichols is going to save this team you are living in Walters world of denile.

Yup.
Get rid of both tho, start fresh.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
No Grey Cup for you

This November it'll be a full 26 years of No Grey Cup because the Bombers once again won't be in it....

6oq6oi.jpg

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I like the fact they spent money for players. But it's time to spend money to bring in proven management and coaching. But it really all comes down to having a QB. We have not had that in a while now.

To be clear, I'm not against signing CFL vets but they have to be in positions that are hard to find and don't sign redundant players. Dressler specifically is being paid like a #1 WR but I doubt he's a #1 on many CFL teams at this point in his career although I think he would be better if the Bombers had another WR who can be a threat to stretch the field. Smith offers about the same skill set for less. Keep Smith and find a guy who is 6'2+. But that's the problem Walters can find WRs like everyone else in the league so he is forced into these bad FA signings.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This November it'll be a full 26 years of No Grey Cup because the Bombers once again won't be in it....

6oq6oi.jpg

I was there for that. It was sweeeeeeet. Now remember, BC started 0-5 one year and ended up winning the Cup. A QB change here, a coaching change there... it could all still come together. You know what they say... It ain't over till the fat lady drops the ball. :nod:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

6oq6oi.jpg

Just over a month after I was born :laugh: I guess I wasn't alive long enough yet to start a curse :sarcasm:

When I saw the bit on TSN about Nichols starting I first questioned if maybe Willy was injured then I realized it probably didn't matter.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

6oq6oi.jpg

Those were the days i remember walking up portage towards main cars stopped everwhere , high fives flying around, hopefully one day you youngster's will be able to rejoice and experience that feeling.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I vaguely remember that grey cup. I was 5 and remember being pretty much the only family who were cheering for the Bombers (were in Vancouver then)

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015

6oq6oi.jpg

I remember that Game for I was living in Edmonton at the time and I had a very good time wearing my Blue Bomber jersey. Not so much now! :shakehead

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone catch Wiecek's column on Willy and the Blue in the Free Press today. Kind of think he nailed it!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Anyone catch Wiecek's column on Willy and the Blue in the Free Press today. Kind of think he nailed it!

Yep, although I think when a reporter asks an athlete the same question twice, they're just being a provocateur and deserve a snippy response. Willy does seem to be a bit of a jerk, though. He certainly isn't shy about giving his teammates an earful on the field if they don't do what he expected them to do. In that respect, he should have become a soccer player. :)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

The one thing I said earlier was that Willy seemed to struggle right from preseason game one (which is where I thought this article was going, and it never did, it was all based on Wiecek's question), he never really got many good drives going in preseason games and it has been the same in the regular season. I am a Willy fan but he just doesn't look right this year, all those hits and concussions he took really make him look less confident this year and he's getting more happy feet this year. He needs to work with Buck on how to move around in the pocket when it collapses or kinda like Ricky Ray does. I still think he can bounce back but he needs confidence and that really starts with putting a good Oline in front of him. Even Mike Reilly looked awful second half last game, when your oline can't block guys and you keep getting smacked it doesn't matter how good you are you will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad