OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Is this the week the Bombers find out that both 1 and 2 QB's are not the answer or does Nichols catch lightning in bottle for at least 1 game should be an interesting game considering how Edmonton choked against the Ti-Cats.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
It will be interesting to see what Nichols can do. If it turns out that Nichols has a Willy-like performance and the offence still does nothing, then we should release Nichols. Move the young QBs up on the depth chart.The following week, start Willy on a short leash. If Willy comes up a dud again, we put him back on the bench and put Davis out there.

Meanwhile, coach the *** out of the Bombers. Try to find something that this team is good at..Anything...and build from there.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It will be interesting to see what Nichols can do. If it turns out that Nichols has a Willy-like performance and the offence still does nothing, then we should release Nichols. Move the young QBs up on the depth chart.The following week, start Willy on a short leash. If Willy comes up a dud again, we put him back on the bench and put Davis out there.

Meanwhile, coach the *** out of the Bombers. Try to find something that this team is good at..Anything...and build from there.

Nichol's starting is a bit of a surprise, guy is a game manager type QB not someone who can make plays like the BB's need. Watching Willy this season the same thing can be said though. BB's need a QB that can move out of the pocket and run if he has to, Davis would have been my choice for a game at least!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Nichol's starting is a bit of a surprise, guy is a game manager type QB not someone who can make plays like the BB's need. Watching Willy this season the same thing can be said though. BB's need a QB that can move out of the pocket and run if he has to, Davis would have been my choice for a game at least!

Guy can't complete a pass. Willy is still our best, they'll be going back to him. I'm hoping to see them go to willy off the bench, maybe he can come in mid game and produce, he needs something to get him going. He's a good qb, but something is not right this year, you could see that right from Preseason

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

When you consider the protection our O-line offers, a mobile QB is a necessity.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Guy can't complete a pass. Willy is still our best, they'll be going back to him. I'm hoping to see them go to willy off the bench, maybe he can come in mid game and produce, he needs something to get him going. He's a good qb, but something is not right this year, you could see that right from Preseason

This seems to be a common opinion on this thread. That Nichols can't play. Let's find out this week. If he gives us nothing this next game, then it is time to move on. Release Nichols. Get Davis closer to the action.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Keeping the crowd size at IGF to a minimum? :D

Nichols should be given 3 games as starter to "get the rust out" as some people say, and get a reasonable feel for how he can run LaPo's offense. Single game auditions aren't going to get us anywhere. As for Davis, I have no faith in this team's ability to draft or develop a QB. If he's our starter, we might as well begin the debate as to who the Bombers should draft first overall this year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Keeping the crowd size at IGF to a minimum? :D

Nichols should be given 3 games as starter to "get the rust out" as some people say, and get a reasonable feel for how he can run LaPo's offense. Single game auditions aren't going to get us anywhere. As for Davis, I have no faith in this team's ability to draft or develop a QB. If he's our starter, we might as well begin the debate as to who the Bombers should draft first overall this year.

Americans aren't drafted. And Bombers did not bring Davis to CFL. He started with Calgary in 2014.

The crazy thing is as bad as the Bombers are, Riders are worse.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Yeah. Last time i went to game in edmonton milt stegall scored a 100 yard td on the final play of the game. Hope history repeats itself.

Well history won't be able to totally duplicate itself, unless Milt magically teleports himself out of the TSN studio onto the field behind Eskimo coverage to get wide open.......come to think of it.....if anyone could do that, Milt might just be the guy. :handclap:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Yawwwwn. Normally a QB change would get me hopeful or even excited, but not this time. Nichols is even more erratic than Willy when it comes to decision making. The only upgrade I can see is that he gets the ball out slightly quicker, and might be a bit more nimble and evasive in the pocket.

Nichols could possibly coax a few wins out of this team in the next month, but so what. There's still no long term solution at QB. It would be great if there was an intriguing developmental QB prospect on the bench, but neither Davis nor Bennett have shown much upside.

Talk about a fall from grace for Willy. Tremendous physical talent, but his confidence is visibly shot. His ability to read defenses appears to have regressed, if anything. Not sure if he has the mental makeup to be a viable CFL starter.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yawwwwn. Normally a QB change would get me hopeful or even excited, but not this time. Nichols is even more erratic than Willy when it comes to decision making. The only upgrade I can see is that he gets the ball out slightly quicker, and might be a bit more nimble and evasive in the pocket.

Nichols could possibly coax a few wins out of this team in the next month, but so what. There's still no long term solution at QB. It would be great if there was an intriguing developmental QB prospect on the bench, but neither Davis nor Bennett have shown much upside.

Talk about a fall from grace for Willy. Tremendous physical talent, but his confidence is visibly shot. His ability to read defenses appears to have regressed, if anything. Not sure if he has the mental makeup to be a viable CFL starter.

Other than the so what about winning this is exactly what i feel. I dont think any of the 4 QBs Bombers have quality starting upside. It's really dissappointing. This was my worst fear coming into the year since QB depth is the one thing i feel walters has really neglected (obviously holes all over but they've at least TRIED to improve everywhere else). The reason i care about eeking out some wins is cause draft means little and QB basically cant be improved until off-season so id really like some wins lol.

Bombers should go QB hunting in off-season. Maybe Franklin out of Edmonton, he is FA at years end i think.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This seems to be a common opinion on this thread. That Nichols can't play. Let's find out this week. If he gives us nothing this next game, then it is time to move on. Release Nichols. Get Davis closer to the action.

How many more views on Nichols do you really need? He played like a mediocre backup with the Esks, got traded to the Bombers for practically nothing, and played like a mediocre backup in Winnipeg. 19 CFL starts, and he hasn't shown any indication that he's starting material.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Other than the so what about winning this is exactly what i feel. I dont think any of the 4 QBs Bombers have quality starting upside. It's really dissappointing. This was my worst fear coming into the year since QB depth is the one thing i feel walters has really neglected (obviously holes all over but they've at least TRIED to improve everywhere else).

Oh don't get me wrong, I'll happily take the wins. It's just that I have less than zero faith in Nichols being any kind of long term solution.

Depending on how well Jennings plays in BC, I wonder if the Bombers might try and swing a trade for Travis Lulay.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
How many more views on Nichols do you really need? He played like a mediocre backup with the Esks, got traded to the Bombers for practically nothing, and played like a mediocre backup in Winnipeg. 19 CFL starts, and he hasn't shown any indication that he's starting material.

I think I answered that a few posts earlier. Give him this start. If he shows as bad as some posters on this thread think he will, then GoodBye Nichols. If he is just blocking any opportunity for Davis or Bennett to show us what they can do then cut him and move the others up. This season is slipping away, unless Willy comes back from the dead, it will be a write off by Labour Day. No matter how poorly Sask is playing I can see them sweeping us. Have seen that too many times to believe anything otherwise.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
For me, Brian Brohm is still the worst Bomber QB of them all, even worse than LeFors. I have never seen a pro QB short hop as many open receivers as he did.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
For me, Brian Brohm is still the worst Bomber QB of them all, even worse than LeFors. I have never seen a pro QB short hop as many open receivers as he did.

Especially for a guy who almost beat out Rodgers in Green Bay, don't get how some of these qbs even make nfl

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I think I answered that a few posts earlier. Give him this start. If he shows as bad as some posters on this thread think he will, then GoodBye Nichols. If he is just blocking any opportunity for Davis or Bennett to show us what they can do then cut him and move the others up. This season is slipping away, unless Willy comes back from the dead, it will be a write off by Labour Day. No matter how poorly Sask is playing I can see them sweeping us. Have seen that too many times to believe anything otherwise.

Sure. All I'm saying is that if Nichols performs well, I'm still not going to get excited. I suppose it's possible that he's a late bloomer or just happens to be a perfect fit for LaPo's offense, but it's going to take a lot to convince me that he's anything more than a mediocre backup QB.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

All these years that the Bombers have been looking for a QB it is quite remarkable that they could not even find one by a fluke. Was McMannus the last QB that the Bombers brought into the league?

The success we have with scouting QBs, if the Bombers like you it is like the kiss of death or something. Seems like if our scouts are high on a QB, then that is the last guy we should bring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad