GDT: 2016 | "Because Oilers" | Draft Lottery | 13.5% | 4.30.16 | 5:00PM | CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Honestly I'm okay with most anything.

We got our lottery win last year for McDavid, and although a guy like Matthews or Laine or Pulju would be really nice, they're more of a luxury item at this point vs. team need.

Though I am always a fan of watching the world(HF) burn, so bring on the 1st overall, or at least have them ahead of the other Canadian teams (sorry mods :laugh: )

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I read that they'd draw 1st first and then go from there, that may only have been the 3 picks determined by lottery though.

That doesn't sound right to me. Once they announce the 3 lottery picks everyone can figure out their place just by determining who passed them. No need to announce the rest of the field after that. I imagine they will work their way up from 14. Just makes sense.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if they're doing 3 lotteries, how can we know the odds for the later rounds until the first one's done? Or is that odds table just taking into account every scenario from before the 3 lotteries, and listing the %'s that we end up in that situation.

I mean if they do it 1, 2, and then 3; and say the Bruins win the 1st pick, won't that impact our odds in the second lottery, as the Leafs are still in play?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Hahaha, I love the oilers logo for all 3 picks. I could just see the insanity when the Oilers not only win the 1st overall but somehow get 2nd and 3rd. :D

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm cool with however this plays out. If we're out of the top 3, pretty much guaranteed the pick will be traded.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
The lottery happens beforehand with the league and lawyers (I'd imagine). Then the logos will go into envelopes. Then they are revealed by Daly from 14 to 1. It's likely the top 3 will be wacky, so it will be exciting for a team that had been at 12 to pass that pick and not be shown. It will mean that they've jumped into the top 3. It will be fun for Oil fans unless three teams behind them haven't been revealed by thethe no. 5 spot. If three teams behind them jump, it means Toronto and Edmonton pick 4 and 5 respectively.

It will be great TV.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It's that time of the year where the Oilers win the lottery and then false hope is re-established again. Should be a fun ride

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if they're doing 3 lotteries, how can we know the odds for the later rounds until the first one's done? Or is that odds table just taking into account every scenario from before the 3 lotteries, and listing the %'s that we end up in that situation.

I mean if they do it 1, 2, and then 3; and say the Bruins win the 1st pick, won't that impact our odds in the second lottery, as the Leafs are still in play?

The table takes into account all scenarios. Of course once the winner is known the odds for #2 are adjusted accordingly and so on. But in the end that does not matter since we won't be told who won first.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Why is it so critical to know updated odds though? The probability added will just be an equal distribution of the odds by taking the winner's combinations out of the next draws. In the end, the shift in odds will be minimal, and teams will still be ranked the same way so there's no interesting effect there.

I would think they would just go down the list 14th to 1st and present all three lotteries simultaneously. So when the first winner is announced, it could be for any of the three lottery spots. I wouldn't mind 3 whole rounds I suppose, one for each lottery, but it seems a bit much.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
ChSs51CVEAEvp7e.jpg

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Honestly I'm okay with most anything.

We got our lottery win last year for McDavid, and although a guy like Matthews or Laine or Pulju would be really nice, they're more of a luxury item at this point vs. team need.

Though I am always a fan of watching the world(HF) burn, so bring on the 1st overall, or at least have them ahead of the other Canadian teams (sorry mods :laugh: )

I mostly agree with all of this. And I will be fine if we end up picking 5th... but damn I want Laine! And damn I want HF boards to meltdown!

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Im so mixed about this. Like how could you not want another #1? In reality though its a embarassment and I we dont deserve it at all.

I actually hope they just trade this pick.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I refuse to cheer for ping pong balls with numbers on them. I hate this team being a draft lottery team.

I'd much rather watch this team play playoff hockey. I'm getting a vibe that there are less fans like me and more fans that prefer the lotteries.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I refuse to cheer for ping pong balls with numbers on them. I hate this team being a draft lottery team.

I'd much rather watch this team play playoff hockey. I'm getting a vibe that there are less fans like me and more fans that prefer the lotteries.

I'm pretty sure exactly zero fans prefer the lottery. It's a weak consolation prize, but we might as well take what entertainment we can get

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There is a huge difference in value between picks 1-2 and 3 and then 4-6. No matter how bad the team was this year, and how people are saying they don't want another first overall, picking top 2 instead of 3rd could be the difference between acquiring a true #1 defenceman this offseason.

Bring on the #1. I don't care.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
All praise be to Steve Tambellini's lucky tie.

Personally I don't really care much about the outcome here but I'll still watch for the entertainment. The mainboard thread will be a trainwreck regardless of who wins this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad