GDT: 2016 | "Because Oilers" | Draft Lottery | 13.5% | 4.30.16 | 5:00PM | CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Exactly, I think we need to ask ourselves in 3 years time, when we are in the midst of a gruelling 7 game series (and McDavid will get us there even if our management stays inept) ... who do you want there ... Eberle or 6 foot 3 220+ pounds (by then) Dubois?

The more effective player. Eberle is one of the better goalscorers in the game, in 3 years during that series Dubois may not even be an NHL player or could be in the bottom 6.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Exactly, I think we need to ask ourselves in 3 years time, when we are in the midst of a gruelling 7 game series (and McDavid will get us there even if our management stays inept) ... who do you want there ... Eberle or 6 foot 3 220+ pounds (by then) Dubois?

Winner.

We need guys that will be ready to go to war in a 7 game playoff series, not guys like Eberle who will quit the moment the physicality ramps up.

ivanthebad*

Winner.

We need guys that will be ready to go to war in a 7 game playoff series, not guys like Eberle who will quit the moment the physicality ramps up.

Ebs was a clutch player in jr. Taylor Hall admitted in an interview not long ago that he forgot what it was like to win. That's a telling statement! Scary that he lost that flame. Assuming that Ebs dissapears in a meaningful game goes against all that he once was.
That passion needs to be ignited, and in no way does it exclude Ebs

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Some Dubois highlights. His shot/release is filthy. Playmaking/vision is good too.

Honestly think we might regret trading this guy really badly.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Ya. That has to be the focus in every roster decision going forward IMO. We should be looking to build a legit contender here, not just a team that makes the playoffs. You have to think long-term and be smart about it. If all this suffering is going to be worth it you better turn win a Cup or two in the next 5-10 years. You don't want to turn into a team that consistently makes the playoffs but never gets past the 1st or 2nd round.

It's what I've been preaching for a long time to those who want to keep a guy like Eberle and to a lesser extent RNH and Yak (and Schultz, Gagner etc). You want guys who competes and can survive going head-to-head against the tough, physical teams of the West. I really doubt a guy like Eberle will do that, unless you have an entire team built strong and tough to insulate him. I can see both him and RNH being near invisible in a playoff series against Blues/Ducks/Kings or even the current Sharks.

A guy like Dubois on the other hand looks very much like the prototypical playoff performer. His game is built for the playoffs and the guy has seemingly great character too. He'll do whatever it takes to win and if anyone can lay a big hit, score a big goal or take a hit to make a play it's him. Obviously I might get a bit ahead of myself here but it's hard not to get excited about the complete package that Dubois is offering.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth

Some Dubois highlights. His shot/release is filthy. Playmaking/vision is good too.

Honestly think we might regret trading this guy really badly.

what a horrible video, it's basically him giving away the puck and skating in circles not scoring. Very odd that this is highlight reel.

Noah88

Apr 30, 2016
That's really bitter. We are the losers of the lottery.
It's unbelievable what a difference the #3 and #4 pick makes this year.
When you watch Puljujärvi and Tkachuk play, wow, at least another level.
The Lottery changes cost the Oilers Patrik Laine, who would had been the perfect Partner for McDavid.
And without winning so many meaningless games at the end of the season we would had get Matthews, the next superstar.
With one of the 2 we would had become THE powerhouse in the NHL, even with the Oilers management keep doing stupid things.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
That's really bitter. We are the losers of the lottery.
It's unbelievable what a difference the #3 and #4 pick makes this year.
When you watch Puljujärvi and Tkachuk play, wow, at least another level.
The Lottery changes cost the Oilers Patrik Laine, who would had been the perfect Partner for McDavid.
And without winning so many meaningless games at the end of the season we would had get Matthews, the next superstar.
With one of the 2 we would had become THE powerhouse in the NHL, even with the Oilers management keep doing stupid things.

This is just being spoiled. We've had enough high end draft picks. The Oilers flubbed them or had bad luck or whatever you want to call it.
But to complain because we didn't win again is just selfish.

Noah88

Apr 30, 2016
This is just being spoiled. We've had enough high end draft picks. The Oilers flubbed them or had bad luck or whatever you want to call it.
But to complain because we didn't win again is just selfish.

Sure selfish, but I think all Oiler fans want success for the Oilers and the combination of throwing the 30th place away in the last games (Matthews) and the lottery change (Laine) makes it extremely bitter with the massive fall after the Top 3 this year.
I know many fans don't want to hear anything about the draft anymore, but for the Oilers it is the only way to become succesfull.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
picking 5th was my hoped for scenario, so it would almost force a trade. I'm done with high picks, its time to grow. I'm good with 4, as long its traded. No one we take at 4 will help this team for at least 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad