2016 ATD Lineup Advice Thread

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Delvecchio line - awesome, as close to a perfect Jagr line as you can get.
Weight line - weakest 2nd line center in the draft? Other than that, good offensive chemistry, though I'm uncertain about Weight as the defensive conscience of an Atd line
Bowie line - who is getting Bowie the puck?
Tkaczuk line - Good two-way defensive line, are they going to take all the defensive assignments for the team?

Wouldn't Fleury be the defensive conscience of that line?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Wouldn't Fleury be the defensive conscience of that line?

Fleury was a hard worker and agitator, but I really don't know why some GMs consider him a good defensive player.

edit: Well, he did receive some Selke votes one season early in his career. That's before I started watching him.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Fleury was a hard worker and agitator, but I really don't know why some GMs consider him a good defensive player.

edit: Well, he did receive some Selke votes one season early in his career. That's before I started watching him.

Yeah, he was 5th in Selke voting in 1991.

I guess Denneny could take some defensive responsibilities too.. sometimes. I don't view Denneny as horrible defensively here, just kind of inconsistent.

I think it would pretty much be defense by committee with no guy really standing out either good or bad.

My main issue with Denneny defensively is this quote:

Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette: 1-17-1921
Despite their aversion to seeing Ottawa win, they did not fail to applaud the good work of Frank Nighbor, who has certainly got himself "in right" with Toronto fans. His poke-check was responsible for breaking up several likely-looking rushes. He also found time to score three goals. But the thing that commended itself most was the strategy he used in directing his team. Now and again Cyril Denneny was wont to break up his team's defensive system by doing needless checking and skating. It was here that Nighbor, with eagle eye, detected probable loopholes for scoring and he promptly advised Denneny, not on one occasion, but on several, to play his position. The above is not intended to reflect on the playing ability of Denneny, who proved himself in Saturday's game to be a player of no mean calibre, but it goes to show how a captain should control his team on the ice.

I kind of see Denneny as a guy who will occasionally put his team in a bad spot by breaking out too early and things like that.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Delvecchio line - awesome, as close to a perfect Jagr line as you can get.
Weight line - weakest 2nd line center in the draft? Other than that, good offensive chemistry, though I'm uncertain about Weight as the defensive conscience of an Atd line
Bowie line - who is getting Bowie the puck?
Tkaczuk line - Good two-way defensive line, are they going to take all the defensive assignments for the team?

Thanks.

How far behind the likes of Turgeon, Sedin, Novy, Lemaire, Larionov, Lecavalier etc. could Weight really be? I've always viewed Fleury as a responsible backchecker on top of an agitator.

Bowie line was suggested by Jarek, which makes sense in this top 9. Basically Bowie with two grinders who will make space for him, protect him, and let him do his thing. Graves and Pie are good, not great, defensively. Both will have a checking conscioience, while Bowie is at home roving the ice.

Fourth line would indeed get the key checking assignments, if I;m not going power on power with Delvy line.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Thanks.

How far behind the likes of Turgeon, Sedin, Novy, Lemaire, Larionov, Lecavalier etc. could Weight really be? I've always viewed Fleury as a responsible backchecker on top of an agitator.

Bowie line was suggested by Jarek, which makes sense in this top 9. Basically Bowie with two grinders who will make space for him, protect him, and let him do his thing.

Fourth line would indeed get the key checking assignments, if I;m not going power on power with Delvy line.

McKenzie might work but I don't know enough about Graves.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Sigh. I don't know what I'm going to do then. I feel beaten down by ATD politics... I might pull a VanIslander. J/k.

Denneny - Delvecchio - Jagr
Firsov - Bowie - Fleury
Graves - Tkaczuk - Mackenzie
Gagne - Holik - Curry

That still has to be a lot better than the gimmicky Weight/Bowie idea, right?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sigh. I don't know what I'm going to do then. I feel beaten down by ATD politics... I might pull a VanIslander. J/k.

Firsov - Bowie - Fleury
Gagne - Holik - Curry

:laugh:

I'm not even in the draft and I'm being accused of "playing politics." Hilarious. -100 points to you, sir.

Anyway, I think you pretty much have to do something similar to the lineup you posted here. Sucks to break up one of my favorite top lines of the draft, but maybe Denneny can adapt to Jagr's weird way of playing

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
LOL.

Graves was a hard-working rookie in Edmonton on a line with another rookie great who will go in the MLD (though he may drop to the AAA this year given the sparseness of the ATD members, though he shouldn't) and with a lackadaisical pivot who had more talent than both wingers combined (we all thought in 1990) but who simply was too lazy to capitialize on his ability, unlike his wingers.

Graves was my 2nd fav on the Oilers rookie line of the 1990 Stanley Cup champion squad. He went on to wow NY and have his jersey retired as a Ranger for helping bring the Stanley Cup back to town after so long.

b064aa096c4e563b37fcf1eb43fb1bc3.jpg

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
:laugh:

I'm not even in the draft and I'm being accused of "playing politics." Hilarious. -100 points to you, sir.

Anyway, I think you pretty much have to do something similar to the lineup you posted here. Sucks to break up one of my favorite top lines of the draft, but maybe Denneny can adapt to Jagr's weird way of playing

Didn't mean it was you playin' politics. Sorry for the mis understanding. ;)

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009

Firsov - Bowie - Fleury
Gagne - Holik - Curry

I can post what the scouting report guides say about his defensive play if you want. I have the 90s covered. It might be good, bad, or not say anything substantial at all though :laugh:

It may be a few days before I have the time.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I can post what the scouting report guides say about his defensive play if you want. I have the 90s covered. It might be good, bad, or not say anything substantial at all though :laugh:

It may be a few days before I have the time.

Looks like 87 broke one of the rules and our trade is being rejected by the board of governors. :laugh:

Nice knowin' ya Bowie and Gardiner.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
LOL.

Graves was a hard-working rookie in Edmonton on a line with another rookie great who will go in the MLD (though he may drop to the AAA this year given the sparseness of the ATD members, though he shouldn't) and with a lackadaisical pivot who had more talent than both wingers combined (we all thought in 1990) but who simply was too lazy to capitialize on his ability, unlike his wingers.

Graves was my 2nd fav on the Oilers rookie line of the 1990 Stanley Cup champion squad. He went on to wow NY and have his jersey retired as a Ranger for helping bring the Stanley Cup back to town after so long.

No, he was a rookie in Detroit or did he somehow get to keep his rookie status after playing 50ish games the year before?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
LOL.

Didn't you rage quit?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
What would you do for your PP2 with this group? I know i'll be double dipping Karlsson on the 2nd PP unit and putting Babe Pratt on the point as well, but beyond that, could use some ideas for the F's. Thanks!

My PP1 is

Ovechkin-Messier-Recchi
Clapper-Karlsson.

Forwards:

Alex Ovechkin - Mark Messier (C) - Mark Recchi
Smokey Harris - Russell Bowie - Rene Robert
Marty Pavelich - Marty Walsh (A) - Floyd Curry
Benjamin Alexandrov - Sven Tumba Johansson - Konstantin Loktev

Defense:

Jack Stewart - Dit Clapper (A)
Herb Gardiner - Erik Karlsson
Babe Pratt - Terry Harper

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I used to dominate Oregon trail on the old dos system, before you even had Windows 95 haha. I think it was about 3rd or 4th grade when we started doing simple computer tasks. Man, how things change in a relatively short period of time. :laugh:

You're making me feel old.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I've never seen him as a two-way guy to be honest, but I am a little surprised to see he was 5th in Selke voting in 91.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad