2016-2017 Training Camp Thread

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014

Says he has retracted his list of teams he'd approve a trade to. Will end his career in Columbus.

Good news:yo: Hartsy stays here :handclap: I have bad feeling after USA team "slump". Classical CBJ fall again? We need his ****ing impulsiviness, holy trinity (JJ,Dubi and Captain) needs unnreal boost and Hartsy can help like nobody else

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
i think it's smart of Hartnell...and I'm fine with it...he played well for us and he isn't overly paid...hopefully he helps bring a good culture here of ppl saying and ACTING like they want to win here...
I'm w/ Fro. Scott Hartnell's play and his contract is not what's wrong with this club. Good on him.

At certain points in life, you just have to make a stand. Win, lose or draw, you just decide THIS is where I will be and it happens or it doesn't. Love it!!

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Hey Blue Jackets fans,

I'm wondering if PLD will be playing at any of the preseason games on Sunday? Think he is going to be great but not sure what status is how these split squad games work. Would like to see him playing live (all I watched of him was highlights vids leading up to the draft).

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Hey Blue Jackets fans,

I'm wondering if PLD will be playing at any of the preseason games on Sunday? Think he is going to be great but not sure what status is how these split squad games work. Would like to see him playing live (all I watched of him was highlights vids leading up to the draft).

I'm sure he'll play in one of the split squad games at Center, but we'll probably know for sure if and where tomorrow.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Anyone see Portus tweet about being impressed with Wennberg running 2 miles under 12? We had to do that for my high school soccer team... I certainly hope these professionals are in much better shape than I was in high school. I ran 11:30 something and wasn't even the best on my team...

Maybe I'm looking into it too much but I thought with Torts "tough" training camp we would be seeing time around 10 mins

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
maybe just me, but slight difference b/t needing to get fitness for playing 90 min straight vs 35 second shifts every couple minutes...plus commercial breaks...

but personally I know I couldn't do 2 miles in 12 minutes...maybe 1 in my current state :laugh:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
maybe just me, but slight difference b/t needing to get fitness for playing 90 min straight vs 35 second shifts every couple minutes...plus commercial breaks...

but personally I know I couldn't do 2 miles in 12 minutes...maybe 1 in my current state :laugh:

How about when you still lived in Ohio? :laugh:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Anyone see Portus tweet about being impressed with Wennberg running 2 miles under 12? We had to do that for my high school soccer team... I certainly hope these professionals are in much better shape than I was in high school. I ran 11:30 something and wasn't even the best on my team...

Maybe I'm looking into it too much but I thought with Torts "tough" training camp we would be seeing time around 10 mins

5 minute miles? Are you high?

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I'm a former cross country runner and sometimes go out running..
There's a big difference between soccer/ cross country runners and hockey players who haven't trained to run distances like that. Bodies are built differently too.. They do 45 second shifts, we are out running for 60 minutes and have more "aerobic" training. Body differences- Many cross country/soccer players don't weigh over 160 pounds and are pretty thin/trained to run distances. Even Wennberg weighs close to 200 pounds now. Shoot, I weighed 130 pounds max and I couldn't even get to an 18:30 5k even when I ran half marathons/speed workouts all year long.

They also ran in the middle of the day on a track in tennis shoes when it was probably 88 degrees. Weather can play a big part in times as well for even the experienced runner. That would probably have drained anybody out. Who knows if they did training drills before that as well.

It's not exactly easy to run 5 minute miles for 2 whole miles like you thought times would be.

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yeah 5 min miles is pretty crazy. When I was in basic training I did my 2 miles in the high 14's. The fastest guys were in the high 13's and we were running every other day.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's a build thing. It's extremely impressive for a 200-lb fully-muscled guy to run 2 miles in 12 minutes. I can say I have done it at 155 lbs but the times already get rapidly worse with just another 10 lbs of muscle on top of that. So I suppose I'm not surprised Bjorkstrand was one of those who made the cutoff.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
2 miles in 12 minutes is no easy task. To graduate from the fire academy, we had to do 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes, and that was no picnic. And after 17 weeks, we were all in excellent shape!

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No I wish.i ran a 5:32 in high school and wouldn't say I was in that great of shape. I don't think 5 mins is too much to ask. Then again I'm 5'9" 150, and they are 200+ pounds.

I am sorry, but you are crazy if you think they should be able to run 5 minute miles. They aren't distance runners and they don't train to be distance runners. 5 minute miles is good for distance runners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad