2016-2017 Training Camp Thread

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Even though I don't understand what is being said in the vast majority of his posts, I'd like to give a shoutout to Tulipunaruusu. He was hyping nutivaara a while ago, and I was not buying it at all.

While I wouldn't go as far to say he's the best prospect as he had stated, I am very impressed.:laugh:
I also kind of wrote off Nutivaara initially, seeing as he was already 21 when we drafted him. His progress last year was encouraging.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Really? I don't see the similarity. How does Werenski remind you of Zubov?

I can see some similarities, specifically the play making from the blue line, distribution, and a respectable shot. Tomas Kaberle as well. I think Werenski has a lot of potential as a point producer and offensive catalyst from the blue line.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
PA Parenteau on waivers. Do we want him?

team already has dead money in 2Tin, Boll, Campbell, and Prout

I don't see them even considering anyone on waivers at this point

Tend to agree we won't be picking up anyone off waivers, but I think he is a useful player to some team. I wouldn't consider his deal dead money as its one year at $1.25M.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Why did wennberg get sent to the minors?

It's a paper move. Dubois' cap hit is higher (2.9M) than Wennberg's, and with the added salary on to the cap, the team gets the full benefit of putting Clarkson on LTIR by wiping his 5.4M off the cap. Wennberg will be recalled by tomorrow afternoon.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A paper move.

What I don't understand - I thought the team was well clear of the cap? So why did they need to squeeze under?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
With Kolesar and Korpisalo going on the injured non-roster list (same as Ramage, Heatherington, and Graves) rather than Injured Reserve, does that mean they are likely headed to Cleveland when they are healthy (barring an injury to Bob or CMac in the case of Korpisalo, of course)?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's a paper move. Dubois' cap hit is higher (2.9M) than Wennberg's, and with the added salary on to the cap, the team gets the full benefit of putting Clarkson on LTIR by wiping his 5.4M off the cap. Wennberg will be recalled by tomorrow afternoon.

Oh now I see! It was about needing MORE salary so that LTIR could be activated.

If we don't activate it now we can't access that space later.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wow so the Jackets weren't spending enough money. That's a first. :laugh:

The basic equation is:
Amount teams can exceed the cap = Cap hit of player on LTIR - Team cap space.

The less cap space the Jackets have, the more they can go over the cap once the season starts (tomorrow).

Technically, I think Wennberg is the cheapest player on an ELC so he is the one sent down. He would be equal to Dubois, but his bonuses are capped at $450,000 or so while Dubois can have $2.5 million.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Does this move cost the Jackets the ability to slide Dubois' contract to expiring in 2020 instead of 2019 or do we get that benefit as long he doesn't play more than nine games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad