Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster prediction

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Hopefully Jimbo continues to put his fingerprints all over this team without bleeding to many assets and this team ***** the bed next year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No point in predicting a roster for next year. This management will do the unthinkable (or predictable) and make several more bone-headed trades and signings. I shudder to think what the roster will be like in 2016-17.

Rebuild is over, load up on UFAs. Limp towards playoffs, just miss or lose in the 1st or 2nd round for the next 2 or 3 years.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen
David Jones (2.2m)-Horvat-Baertschi
Rodin-Sutter-McGinn (2m)
Burrows-Granlund-Gaunce

Hutton-Edler
Tanev-Brendan Smith (acquired, along w/ 2x2rd draft picks for Hansen)
Sbisa-Wiercoch (not tendered by Ott- lower cap will create some interesting FA)

Miller
Markstrom

* none of this is my personal wished-for lineup, other than getting Smith in a trade (but not at the cost of Hansen)... But can I see it? Yah.. Although I'd gladly plug Laine as the 2nd line centre instead and forgo the Jones signing...

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I don't think even Dim Jim is dumb enough to sign Eriksson or Lucic to longterm deals. If they miss out on Matthews and Stamkos is a UFA I'll bet the Canucks go all on him. Of they miss out on both I bet they try and trade for Hedman or one of Tampa's forwards like Drouin, Johnson or Kucherov. Tampa will be in a lot of trouble with the cap after next year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't think even Dim Jim is dumb enough to sign Eriksson or Lucic to longterm deals. If they miss out on Matthews and Stamkos is a UFA I'll bet the Canucks go all on him. Of they miss out on both I bet they try and trade for Hedman or one of Tampa's forwards like Drouin, Johnson or Kucherov. Tampa will be in a lot of trouble with the cap after next year.

Tampa has some cap juggling coming up but I can see them managing and they're not going to lose a guy like Hedman. This scenario has played out plenty of times already, they always have to lose something but the big feeding frenzy that over eager fans of other teams are anticipating has never actually happened. And if they do put a good young player up for trade like Ondrej Palat other teams will be in a much better position to make a move.

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
If I had my way?

Let's assume we get the 3rd overall pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Puljujarvi
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Rodin-McCann-Boeser
Burrows-Sutter-Grenier

Hutton-Tanev
Hamhuis-Tryamkin
Pedan-Larsen

Miller/Markstrom
Boeser will be going back to north dakota next year.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Way too early for this. God only know what it's going to look like between FAs and draft picks.

Best case scenario: we get a high enough pick for that kid to step in and make a genuine impact as a rookie and revamp the backend.

Worst case scenario: we sign FAs like Looch and/or Eriksson to stupid money deals and the d corps remains more or less as is.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Boeser will be going back to north dakota next year.

He just said the other day he hasn't decided that. After setting all kinds of records for a freshman this season he may feel he's ready for the NHL.

Sedin-Sedin-Boeser
McCann-Matthews-Hansen
Granlund-Sutter-Etem

... Dorsett

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Why do you think Hamhuis won't be here next season?
I thought he want to end his as a Canuck.

I don't think it's up to him. If he gives a serious discount than yeah I think he'll be back but if he's looking in the 3 million range he'll be gone imo. There's too many bodies and Pedan will require waivers. I'm guessing they'll make a trade for one as well.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Why do you think Hamhuis won't be here next season?
I thought he want to end his as a Canuck.

Doesnt matter for how cheap will be taking a roster spot from a young guy and is just getting more awful esp the last two years NO THANKS

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Sedin Sedin Hansen
Lucic Horvat Virtanen
Baertschi Granlund Etem
Burrows Sutter Dorsett
Vey

Edler Tanev
Hutton Tryamkin
Sbisa Biega
Pedan

Miller
Markstrom

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Tank like a champ and go for Laine. Buyout Burrows, trade Hansen to Winnipeg for a pick. Trade Edler for big future pieces. Sign Demers and Rödin, resign Hamhuis. Keep Boeser in NCAA, McCann as Utica's 1C.

Daniel-Henrik-Virtanen
Bae-Horvat-Laine
Etem-Granlund-Rödin
Gaunce-Sutter-Grenier
Vey-Dorsett

Hutton-Tanev
Pedan-Demers
Hamhuis-Larsen
Tryamkin-Biega

Markstrom
Miller

Another tank year, the final showdown for all of Vey/Etem/Granlund/Grenier/Vey. Break up the twins to spread out the veteran talent to see what we got in them. If all goes well, we get two or three legit players out of them for the inevitable new core of this team. We can't provide a winning environment for them.. but we can give them the time they need to prove themselves. The team ain't going anywhere either way.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Sedin Sedin Stamkos
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Hansen Matthews Sutter
Granlund Mccann Dorsett
Etem/Vey

Edler Tanev
Hutton Tryamkin
Sbisa Biega
Pedan/Larsen

Miller
Markstrom

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Every team in the league is ******** their pants expecting a cap crunch this offseason. If we're smart, rather than shelling out for an overpriced FA we can leverage this cap space and take on a few expensive contracts in exchange for futures. Barring a miracle we're not going to be competitive next year, so hopefully management has a longer-term outlook on this franchise at this point.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Every team in the league is ******** their pants expecting a cap crunch this offseason. If we're smart, rather than shelling out for an overpriced FA we can leverage this cap space and take on a few expensive contracts in exchange for futures. Barring a miracle we're not going to be competitive next year, so hopefully management has a longer-term outlook on this franchise at this point.

I see a fatal flaw here. :sarcasm:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sedin Sedin Stamkos
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Hansen Matthews Sutter
Granlund Mccann Dorsett
Etem/Vey

Edler Tanev
Hutton Tryamkin
Sbisa Biega
Pedan/Larsen

Miller
Markstrom

Id like to see mccann with a year in utica and id put Matthews on the 1st or 2nd line personally

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

That would be the smart move for sure. Under the assumption management does the following

Buy out Burrows and Higgins

Resign Vey,Granlund,Etem and Pedan

Signs and brings over Rodin and Larsen

The Canucks would have around 10mil in cap space to absorb a few one-two year pricy contracts in return for prospects on ELC and picks.

Kaboomer

Feb 9, 2015
If I had my way?

Let's assume we get the 3rd overall pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Puljujarvi
Rodin-McCann-Boeser
Burrows-Sutter-Grenier

Hutton-Tanev
Hamhuis-Tryamkin
Pedan-Larsen

Miller/Markstrom

I like this lineup as it keeps the experience/leadership of Hamhuis and Burrows. It is the only way you could make such massive change and hope to maintain the winning tradition that is in the culture of the team.
I would also keep one of Edler or Sbisa on D, and look at coaching alternatives.

This lineup would work with Matthews or Laine as well, with a few tweaks.

Here's hoping for a lottery win.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Sedin - Sedin - Lucic
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Granlund - Sutter - Hansen
Burrows - McCann - Etem
Dorsett
Rodin

I just don't understand why we have Granlund at all. :/

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Tryamkin
Pedan - Biega
Larsen

Gone: Higgins, Vey, Prust, Bart, Sbisa (one can hope)

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Looking at a team like Tampa, who will need to clear cap space to make viable runs at Stamkos, Kucherov, Namestnikov and Nesterov, as well as clear space for Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Bishop and Vasilevskiy next year... I could see them clearing the deck of some salary. As such, just a fun deal proposition:

- Alex Killorn, Slater Koekkoek from TBL for Cole Cassels, 2017 3rd Rd. Pick, Cond'l Pick
- Assuming we draft outside of the top 3, and whomever it is (Chychrun, Juolevi, Tkachuk, etc.) does not make the opening day roster. I've assumed Chychrun here
- Sign a low-demand, low-cost, possible-reward top-6 RW option - I've chosen David Perron
- Sign a bottom-6 face-off option to platoon with Granlund (I've chosen Nick Spaling)
- Re-sign Dan Hamhuis
- Assuming team buys out Alex Burrows, Chris Higgins

I know that this isn't ideal for the strip-down rebuild sentiment that is gaining groundswell... but who's to say that Benning/Linden won't call the rebuild 'over' after a successful top-5 draft pick? We all know the downward pressure will be there to avoid facilitating years of losing.

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen
Baertschi - Horvat - Perron
Killorn - Sutter - Hansen
Spaling - Granlund - Gaunce
(Etem, McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Hamhuis
Sbisa - Tryamkin
(Chychrun, Pedan, Koekkok)

Again, this is a soft-rebuild, a la San Jose/Detroit... which is more along the lines of what we should all expect Jimbo/TL to do. This team will be competitive (I think?), with more scoring potential through the middle-6 (again, I think?)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Alex Killorn, Slater Koekkoek from TBL for Cole Cassels, 2017 3rd Rd. Pick, Cond'l Pick

While I agree Killorn could be had, and damn I want him (Horvat and Killorn on the same line makes me happy),this trade is EA level, and won't ever happen. Kokkoek is cheap and should be part of Tampa's cap solution not trade bait.

Killorn for futures is a possibility, just not with Koekkoek involved as well.

- Sign a low-demand, low-cost, possible-reward top-6 RW option - I've chosen David Perron

I do love the idea of bringing Perron in though. A Baertschi-Horvat-Perron line could be a great 2nd line. And Perron could also be a great Sedin RWer too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad