Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster prediction

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You're probably not going to find a single person on this board comfortable giving up a 1st round pick in the next 5+ drafts.

Sbisa/Gaunce/2nd is about the best I would do. It's not a great offer... but Kane isn't a great person.

They only needs to find one: jimbo. He's shown he marches to own beat, if he likes something he will pay the asking price.

Last edited:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
They only needs to find one: jimbo. He's shown he matches to own beat, if he likes something he will pay the asking price.

I think if Jim was willing to give up that pick it would be done by now. You're right, though, what we think doesn't matter much. Should we just shut 'er down? Or, should we accept the offer because we think Jim might?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
You're probably not going to find a single person on this board comfortable giving up a 1st round pick in the next 5+ drafts.

Sbisa/Gaunce/2nd is about the best I would do. It's not a great offer... but Kane isn't a great person.

That's fair. The initial post was a start point.

Sbisa, Cassels, Pedan, and and 2017 2nd?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think if Jim was willing to give up that pick it would be done by now. You're right, though, what we think doesn't matter much. Should we just shut 'er down? Or, should we accept the offer because we think Jim might?

If Jim wants Kane, waiting isn't an issue for Buffalo. Overall there is more pressure on Benning in Vancouver to make a move than there is on Murray in Buffalo as Jim seems to want the playoffs and he's currently short of what he needs. Kane might be a PITA but they don't have to trade him, they have cap space and can take their time.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
What line up would you like to see the Canucks ice in the PRE season?

Personally I want to see something like this

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Etem-Granlund-Rodin
Zalewski-Gaunce-Grenier
Laplante-Cassels-Zhukenov

Pedan-Stecher
Tryamkin-Subban
Brisebois-Larsen

Demko
Markstrom

I think it'd be a fun team to watch while it still doesn't matter

And it would allow us to see how the prospects do against slightly better competition

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looking at what we have right now and thinking it's probably pretty close to finished...

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Dorsett
Virtanen-Granlund-Etem

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa/Tryamkin/Larsen

Miller/Markstrom

Is what i'd go with. Flip-flop Eriksson/Hansen as needed for a Sedin shakeup.

Really have to wait for camp to make heads or tails of the fringe guys and who is worth carrying as extras, who earns a spot, etc. Preliminary thoughts, i'd go with 8D and carry Biega in the press box. Up front...whichever one of Rodin/Grenier/Zalewski earns themselves a spot i guess.

Could really use another NHL caliber forward to carry as the lone spare - Utility type with positional versatility would be ideal. Which is where Sam Gagner would fit for me...Santorelli would have, if he hadn't headed off to Europe. Others out there would make some sense.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I'll give this a go.

2016-2017 Canucks Lineup:
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Hansen-Sutter-Rodin
Baerstchi-Horvat-Virtanen
Gaunce-Granlund-Etem
x-Dorsett, Grenier, Burrows

Edler-Tanev
Gudbrandson-Larsen
Hutton-Tryamkin
x-Sbisa, Biega, Pedan

Markstrom
Miller

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'll give this a go.

2016-2017 Canucks Lineup:
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Hansen-Sutter-Rodin
Baerstchi-Horvat-Virtanen
Gaunce-Granlund-Etem
x-Dorsett, Grenier, Burrows

Edler-Tanev
Gudbrandson-Larsen
Hutton-Tryamkin
x-Sbisa, Biega, Pedan

Markstrom
Miller

And heres the problem. I posted this elsewhere, but 90 50 23 20.

You can have rights to 90 players, 50 players under contracts (though those playing in juniors do not count against the 50 (with additional rules of course) 23 players on the roster max, (until after the trade deadline) and 20 players may dress.

You have 15 forwards 9 dmen and 2 goalies. 26. You can only have 23, therefore 3 of the names listed must be sent down. Which is no problem because a number don't have to clear waivers. Hmmm, someone check please, I only see Hutton and Gaunce as being able to avoid waivers.

Not that anyone will claim a couple of the others, though I suspect even Sbisa would be claimed by Edm.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

You can have rights to 90 players, 50 players under contracts (though those playing in juniors do not count against the 50 (with additional rules of course) 23 players on the roster max, (until after the trade deadline) and 20 players may dress.

You have 15 forwards 9 dmen and 2 goalies. 26. You can only have 23, therefore 3 of the names listed must be sent down. Which is no problem because a number don't have to clear waivers. Hmmm, someone check please, I only see Hutton and Gaunce as being able to avoid waivers.

Not that anyone will claim a couple of the others, though I suspect even Sbisa would be claimed by Edm.

Virtanen can go down without issue.

Biega won't be claimed. he is 28, owed 2 years on a one-way contract, and is an 8/9 defenseman when teams are usually still pretty healthy.

Last edited:

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland

Oh God, yes please.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Rodin
Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Sbisa(because Willie)-Gudbranson
Hutton-Tryamkin

Miller
Markstrom

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Virtanen can go down without issue.

Biega won't be claimed. he is 28, owed 2 years on a one-way contract, and is an 8/9 defenseman when teams are usually still pretty healthy.

Biega on a one-way makes $700,000 in Vancouver or Utica. Okay with us. Like that idea Aquaman?

Pedan on a two-way makes $700,000 in Vancouver and in Utica makes $100,000.

More genius work by the big guy, eh?

And take a look at this:
Biega - $700,000
Megna - $600,000 one-way (sight unseen)
Chaput - $225,000 (sight unseen)
Billins - $225,000 (sight unseen)
Nilsson - $200,000 (sight unseen)
Bachman - $575,000
Grenier - $125,000
Zalewski - $100,000

Want to send Virtanen down? Gaunce? only $70,000 each

The prospects in Utica? Their salaries range from $50,000 to $60,000, to $62,500 to $67,500 to $70,000.

Want to deport Sbisa? $3,600,000
Granlund? $900,000

If you were paying for a team you knew was an AHL contender and that's what you were trying to do, you might invest the big $ numbers. The fewer the prospects on the farm, the more you'll have to pay to get replacements with NHL call-up abilities. The serious call-up prospects in Utica will be Biega/Pedan and Billins on D, Zalewski and Megna both play C or LW, and Grenier at /RW. Then you shoot for the sky with Subban on D and Chaput at forward. Pretty interesting that 2 of the 5 have never even been seen before in Vancouver and a large portion of the fan base has been meh on the other 3.

The dark horse is Stecher, but we don't know if he will be Hutton or Sautner until he plays vs. the pros.

If the Canucks are recalling Subban, Stecher, Sautner, or Chaput, it probably means the Canucks season is over anyways and they want to get a good look at what's left in the cupboard to work another prospect trade for another team's discard.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really, I scratching my head trying to figure where both Sbisa and Biega will fit on this team going forward....if you assume a top-four of Tanev-Edler-Hutton-Gudbranson, and Tryamkin-Larsen in the 5-6 holes, then that leaves Biega-Sbisa and Pedan at 7-8-9....I think Pedan gets retained because he's waiver eligible and they've experimented with him on the wing....if Biega clears and is the first call-up from Utica, then that leaves Sbisa as a $3.5m a season depth d-man....has to be a trade in the works.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Biega on a one-way makes $700,000 in Vancouver or Utica. Okay with us. Like that idea Aquaman?

Pedan on a two-way makes $700,000 in Vancouver and in Utica makes $100,000.

More genius work by the big guy, eh?

Of course, Biega being the more capable NHL defenceman at present is also relevant. He's also the guy you don't mind having sit in the press box most nights.

Whereas Pedan absolutely needs to be playing games. A lot of them. Which isn't likely to happen if he's on the NHL roster competing with 7 other (better) guys for icetime.

I really don't see why they'd keep Pedan up over Biega. The only factor in that would be the very slim chance that some bottom feeder organization might be willing to burn a roster spot on a non-NHL player (a la Corrado with the Leafs last year). But that's such a minor consideration.

Of course, if Pedan has somehow taken a huge step forward in his game and has one heck of a camp, actually looking like an NHL player...i'd be pleasantly surprised. But more likely than not, Pedan should be starting in the AHL this season. So...the way that the salaries make sense, for whatever that even matters. Yay! :)

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I suppose I would personally hope for, barring any other trades etc:

sedin sedin rodin
baertschi horvat eriksson
virtanen sutter hansen
etem x burrows

edler tanev
hutton gudbranson
tryamkin larsen

markstrom

on opening night. x being whoever performs better in preseason between gaunce and granlund.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Really, I scratching my head trying to figure where both Sbisa and Biega will fit on this team going forward....if you assume a top-four of Tanev-Edler-Hutton-Gudbranson, and Tryamkin-Larsen in the 5-6 holes, then that leaves Biega-Sbisa and Pedan at 7-8-9....I think Pedan gets retained because he's waiver eligible and they've experimented with him on the wing....if Biega clears and is the first call-up from Utica, then that leaves Sbisa as a $3.5m a season depth d-man....has to be a trade in the works.

Except you know Jim and WD won't leave Biega out of the top 6 with that salary. The trade to make that happen could be upcoming. Sbisa, if you honestly believe another NHL team is willing to pick up that salary meaning they really haven't seen him or you choose Tanev, Edler, Hutton?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Of course, Biega being the more capable NHL defenceman at present is also relevant. He's also the guy you don't mind having sit in the press box most nights.

Whereas Pedan absolutely needs to be playing games. A lot of them. Which isn't likely to happen if he's on the NHL roster competing with 7 other (better) guys for icetime.

I really don't see why they'd keep Pedan up over Biega. The only factor in that would be the very slim chance that some bottom feeder organization might be willing to burn a roster spot on a non-NHL player (a la Corrado with the Leafs last year). But that's such a minor consideration.

Of course, if Pedan has somehow taken a huge step forward in his game and has one heck of a camp, actually looking like an NHL player...i'd be pleasantly surprised. But more likely than not, Pedan should be starting in the AHL this season. So...the way that the salaries make sense, for whatever that even matters. Yay! :)

Biega makes more sense to keep if you understand player development. He can play sparingly and give you a good game because he is capable of playing the game and understands how. Pedan has to get better in order to serve a purpose. If he comes out of the press box every once in a while he will suck because he doesn't have an NHL game yet. If this is proven to be so, he also has no trade value and in essence a big man who had the ability to be a player was lost by his own team's negligent handling.

Problem is Benning sought this kid out and believed he had the makings of an NHL player. He has not had good luck with this process so far. Allowing for another poaching off waivers to Toronto or another bottom feeder planning to go nowhere for at least this coming season in order to garner a top lottery pick would cause further damage to his image and his ego. Allowing him to rot in the press box and become valueless won't float either. He almost HAS to keep Pedan to prove he was right even if the press box becomes his station in life until a disaster befalls the Canucks. Next season if he can go Virtanen/McCann with Juolevi and force him into the NHL right away, Pedan becomes expendable for another shot in the dark like himself lost in the fandom hooplah over Ollie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad