Prospect Info: 2016-17 Rangers Prospects Thread #2 (Stats/Info/Links in Post #1; Updated 1.9.17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just remember that failing to sign a kid we had in one of the camps doesn't mean we didn't want to or didn't try to. Sometimes these guys want to go elsewhere for various reasons. Marchessault was an example of that--we offered him a contract but he elected to sign elsewhere. Don't assume that because we didn't sign a guy that it was for lack of interest or effort.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just remember that failing to sign a kid we had in one of the camps doesn't mean we didn't want to or didn't try to. Sometimes these guys want to go elsewhere for various reasons. Marchessault was an example of that--we offered him a contract but he elected to sign elsewhere. Don't assume that because we didn't sign a guy that it was for lack of interest or effort.

Very good point. Didn't something similar happen with Sergei Tolchinsky? Chose Carolina even though the Rangers made an offer as well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

We had JAM in the system for a bit though, no? He played a year with the Whalepack and crushed that season.

He just wasn't a guy that was ever going to make Torts' Rangers. And to be fair, there were a lot of NHL teams that passed on this guy until the nerds picked him up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We had JAM in the system for a bit though, no? He played a year with the Whalepack and crushed that season.

He just wasn't a guy that was ever going to make Torts' Rangers. And to be fair, there were a lot of NHL teams that passed on this guy until the nerds picked him up.

Yeah we had him in Hartford on an AHL contract where he was very good. Then at the end of the season he signed with Columbus because he thought he had a better shot there. He never really stuck and moved around until breaking out this year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Slats wanted JAM. He offered him an NHL contract before he even played for the Rangers, but JAM publicly rejected it, saying he thinks he will get a better offer next summer after doing well in the AHL. Then Slats offered him another contract, but JAM thought he was better off elsewhere.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I don't know if he's injured or what...but Bernhardt hasn't been in the Vasteras line-up for awhile. I know he isn't going anywhere with us...but for those that care, he may be hurt. Either that,, or he sucks so bad that he's riding pine in the Swedish 2nd Tier league...which would be really sad.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal

Ray Ferraro was on TSN 690 in Montreal radio this afternoon (he has a spot on the drive show twice a week), and since he did the color commentating for the WJC on TSN, he was asked the players that stood out to him during the tournament.

The first name that came out of his mouth, that impressed him was...Adam Huska! Said that although he was bombarded and surrendered many goals, he was outstanding and said that he feels he has a future in the big leagues!!

It's one man's opinion, but coming from a guy that's played in the NHL (over 400 goals) and follows/covers hockey, both NHL and juniors, it's encouraging to hear. I've only seen him play twice, both this year and last year's WJC, and he impressed me with his style, reminds me of Holtby!

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't know if he's injured or what...but Bernhardt hasn't been in the Vasteras line-up for awhile. I know he isn't going anywhere with us...but for those that care, he may be hurt. Either that,, or he sucks so bad that he's riding pine in the Swedish 2nd Tier league...which would be really sad.

Absolute waste of a pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ray Ferraro was on TSN 690 in Montreal radio this afternoon (he has a spot on the drive show twice a week), and since he did the color commentating for the WJC on TSN, he was asked the players that stood out to him during the tournament.

The first name that came out of his mouth, that impressed him was...Adam Huska! Said that although he was bombarded and surrendered many goals, he was outstanding and said that he feels he has a future in the big leagues!!

It's one man's opinion, but coming from a guy that's played in the NHL (over 400 goals) and follows/covers hockey, both NHL and juniors, it's encouraging to hear. I've only seen him play twice, both this year and last year's WJC, and he impressed me with his style, reminds me of Holtby!

Very important praise. Ferraro is the best in the business at what he does.

Don't let PB read this :laugh:

Why don't you put my poster name into the search function with the word "Huska"? You'll see that I've thought for over a year that he's a good prospect.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Huska has been my dark horse since I saw his first WJC

He's got it all including what Shestyorkin doesn't have. NHL size.

This kid is singlehandedly making uconn relevant. They've got no shot at winning games when he's not in there. Says a lot about him.

Hoping he Shestyorkin and halverson all make it hard on each other to win that goalie of the future job but i truly believe we stole huska. Once allaire gets his hands on him watch out

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

This kid is singlehandedly making uconn relevant. They've got no shot at winning games when he's not in there. Says a lot about him.

Say what? For one, Huska is presently not qualified to shine Shesterkin's shoes. One is dominating the world's second best pro hockey league, the other is an average goalie in what is not even the best college conference. The worst team in the KHL would beat the best college team by double digits every single game.

Two, the idea that he singlehanded is making UCONN relevant is ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous to say they have no shot of winning games without him: the other goalie has a 4-3-3 record, while Huska is 4-4-3. The other goalie has a better GAA and a slightly worse SV%. Not saying the other goalie is necessarily better, but to suggest they have no shot without Huska in the net is preposterous.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Convince me why Paliotta shouldnt be up here regardless of whether he is hurt. I mean pre injury.

Because there's almost no overlap between the NHL and the AHL. Being merely good or even great in the AHL is never enough, you need to be head and shoulders above the competition. When Fast, Lindberg and now Hrivik got called up and could look solid on the 4th line in the NHL, they were just dominant in the AHL. Because yes, an NHL 4th liner is much better than an AHL 1st liner. There's a reason why as a UFA, an AHL 1st liner will get $200-250k while an NHL 4th liner will get 3 to 5 times more. The gap is even greater between an NHL 6D and an AHL 1D.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Because there's almost no overlap between the NHL and the AHL. Being merely good or even great in the AHL is never enough, you need to be head and shoulders above the competition. When Fast, Lindberg and now Hrivik got called up and could look solid on the 4th line in the NHL, they were just dominant in the AHL. Because yes, an NHL 4th liner is much better than an AHL 1st liner. There's a reason why as a UFA, an AHL 1st liner will get $200-250k while an NHL 4th liner will get 3 to 5 times more. The gap is even greater between an NHL 6D and an AHL 1D.

They call that league minimum ;)

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK

Hoping he Shestyorkin and halverson all make it hard on each other to win that goalie of the future job but i truly believe we stole huska. Once allaire gets his hands on him watch out

I think he commuted to uconn so that he was closer to allaire. Not sure if he said it or Clark but iirc there was some interview of someone stating that. Also I'm really digging Wall as goalie prospect more so than halvy. Crazy the steals in goalie prospects nyr got from 4th round & lower

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Say what? For one, Huska is presently not qualified to shine Shesterkin's shoes. One is dominating the world's second best pro hockey league, the other is an average goalie in what is not even the best college conference. The worst team in the KHL would beat the best college team by double digits every single game.

Two, the idea that he singlehanded is making UCONN relevant is ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous to say they have no shot of winning games without him: the other goalie has a 4-3-3 record, while Huska is 4-4-3. The other goalie has a better GAA and a slightly worse SV%. Not saying the other goalie is necessarily better, but to suggest they have no shot without Huska in the net is preposterous.

There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. Shestyorkin plays for a team that probably doesn't even belong in the khl. They are destroying everyone. Put huska on that team and his numbers would be stellar. Hell I'd have decent numbers on that team

Of course a pro team should beat a college team. That is absurd. A pro team should beat a great junior team too. You make zero point here.

If yo look at the quality of teams huska has beaten and that article spells it out for you vs how they are performing in front of their senior goalie who hasn't won a game in forever by the way, it is very clear he's carrying that team.

To call huska an average goalie is the only proposterous thing I'm seeing here. Dominated the USHL has been outstanding at the WJC level and has been great at uconn beating much better teams as a freshman

Open your eyes I know you love Shestyorkin but that shouldn't be at the expense of another goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad