2016/17 lineup

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Expansion draft and he won't be protected. I know there will be enough D up for grabs, but imagine a better prospect playing a good role for the Hawks. I'd take my chances for sure if the other Option is Darling or TVR or a Forward like McNeill :laugh:

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I would sign Campbell for a cheap 1-1.5mil deal

I also like the idea of somehow getting Yakupov, why not take a chance with that type of talent at a low price.

Then trade Crawford for a pick/prospect/cheap backup goalie, give Darling the starting job(with this roster depth the goalie won't have to be anything special).

Finally resign Ladd for 4.5-5mil if he's willing

As much as I'd love to have both Ladd and Campbell in the lineup that just isn't happening.
And because you'd sign Soupy for 1-1.5 doesn't mean he would sign for that little.

This would be the worst possible time to trade a top goalie away because the market is still flooded with other guys like Fleury and Bishop

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Sign LAdd and Campbell both for 1 year and 1.5-2.0 Million and then lets talk again next offseason after the Expansion draft? Possible?

Soupy yes, but Ladd not?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I don't get the fascination with bringing back Ladd.

Ladd is at least as valuable as Shaw on the open market, so him being signed to much less that Shaw's alleged asking price of 3.2M for 8 with Chicago is very unlikely. He failed to sparkplug Toews and Hossa, and at best would be a heart-and-soul crash and bang 2nd/3rd line LW. Even though a Ladd/Kruger/Hossa shutdown line is sexy as hell on paper and would give any scoring line fits, is that worth more than 3.2M to a cash-strapped team that has a Huet-sized 5-hole in the top-6 FWDS and on D? I order to make that work you're robing Peter to pay Paul--be it ditching our only center not named Toews that can win a faceoff (Kruger), Ditching our only center not named Toews that can dent the twine (Anisimov), or the redonkulous suggestion of ditching one of 2016's top-5 goalies (Crawford--Vezina voting backs me up here) when our Puck possession/team D was a sieve last season--allowing more SA/GP than any 'hawks team since 1989.

Campbell makes some sense--he's older which can keep his cap hit down, he's proven to be able to carry defensively deficient youth skaters (Leddy), and he's responsible enough in the back end.

Both are subject to asking price but IMHO I think the 'hawks will only be able to afford one of them and I think Ladd may command more cap, while Campbell might be able to do a more complete "hole plug" than Ladd can.

If you can get both for under 2 I think we definitely pull the trigger, I just think we're looking at about 3+M for each, and if that's the case we can only really afford 1, and then IMHO you go Campbell.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'd love to have Ladd back, but its not realistic in any sense. Ladd is 30 and this is his chance to get another big long term deal which is the last thing the Hawks can do. I expect Ladd to get at least 5+ a year for 5-6 years.

Campbell on the other hand is at the end of his career and has made big money. There are family reasons to come to Chicago. It's realistic to see him leaving some money on the table.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I'd love to have Ladd back, but its not realistic in any sense. Ladd is 30 and this is his chance to get another big long term deal which is the last thing the Hawks can do. I expect Ladd to get at least 5+ a year for 5-6 years.

Campbell on the other hand is at the end of his career and has made big money. There are family reasons to come to Chicago. It's realistic to see him leaving some money on the table.

Exactly!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes these player have made big money but we have no idea where they are at financially. Ex. Campbell made roughly 26 million (after taxes) during his career but he could only have 5 of it left so expecting players to take discount is not something that should be expected.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Just listened to Powers and Hedger field and acknowledge questions about whether the HAwks will miss the playoffs.

Umm...

Keith Seabrook
Campbell Hammer
Kempny TVR

I would wager is the best D corp the Hawks have had since the Hawks got good again... maybe ever. Too many people sleeping on that.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Just listened to Powers and Hedger field and acknowledge questions about whether the HAwks will miss the playoffs.

Umm...

Keith Seabrook
Campbell Hammer
Kempny TVR

I would wager is the best D corp the Hawks have had since the Hawks got good again... maybe ever. Too many people sleeping on that.

With Crawford behind them too. There's a good chance the Hawks allow the fewest goals in the league next year, or at least bottom three.

With that in mind, maybe it's okay to leave Hossa with Toews as the top shutdown line.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Umm...

Keith Seabrook
Campbell Hammer
Kempny TVR

With Crawford behind them too. There's a good chance the Hawks allow the fewest goals in the league next year, or at least bottom three.

With that in mind, maybe it's okay to leave Hossa with Toews as the top shutdown line.

I love the optimism but will be happy if Hawks make the playoffs.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I don't think it's a slam dunk by any means. They're still a one line team. It's even worse than last year at this point. Let's see what happens when free agency opens.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
they will 100% make the playoffs...come on.

The core forwards will need to carry the load offensively, and that means Toews needs to shoot more if Hossa's finishing ability doesn't bounce back.

It also means you probably need the Panarin-Anisimov-Kane line to almost replicate what they did last year.

Filling the holes with kids from Rockford will mean not much depth scoring, but as long as they don't make a ton of mistakes, I think it could work.

Lots of question marks in the forward group, but this team absolutely makes the playoffs.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Ya, but it's one hell of a line. Also if Toews shoots more, that top line can be dangerous.

Toews needs a left wing. If Panik is the 1st line LW, is it safe to say the Hawks have the weakest 1st line LW in the NHL? We kind of saw last year that Toews can't carry scrubs on his line like Kane has in the past. This needs to be addressed. But free agency hasn't started yet, so let's see what Stan's plan is.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews needs a left wing. If Panik is the 1st line LW, is it safe to say the Hawks have the weakest 1st line LW in the NHL? We kind of saw last year that Toews can't carry scrubs on his line like Kane has in the past. This needs to be addressed. But free agency hasn't started yet, so let's see what Stan's plan is.

I agree that Panik would probably be the weakest 1LW in the NHL. I don't agree that Toews can't carry scrubs though. He was still about a 30-goal player last season dispite his wingers, he just needs to attack more rather than trying to set things up for "scrubs". Also, his defensive impact is huge.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I agree that Panik would probably be the weakest 1LW in the NHL. I don't agree that Toews can't carry scrubs though. He was still about a 30-goal player last season dispite his wingers, he just needs to attack more rather than trying to set things up for "scrubs". Also, his defensive impact is huge.

Also keep in mind that with Kruger seemingly moving up to #3 center, offense will be lost there. As great as he is as a defensive forward and on the PK, he is a black hole offensively. This will put even more pressure on the top 2 lines to score.

Again, this is all stated as things stand right now. Anything can change with trades or free agent signings.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
So as things stand as of this morning:

XXXXX-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-AA-Kane
Panik-Kruger-XXXX
Desi-Rasmussen-XXXX
Mashinter,XXXXX

Keith-Seabs
XXXX-Hammer
Kempny-TVR
Rosival