Prospect Info: 2016-17 Calgary Flames Prospect Stats & Discussion Thread (CHL, NCAA & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Personally I think prospects are better served playing in the AHL until they prove they are too good for that level ie Kulak and Jankowski.

I don't like players getting their feet wet on the 4th line when they would probably be better served playing big minutes in the AHL.

Andersson/Mangiapane/Kylington could all use a few years mostly just to get stronger for the 82 + playoff grind that is the NHL regular season.

I do think the future is bright in terms of our prospect pool. Ten+ legitimate prospects.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So...taking into account that Dube would be heading back to junior. Odds of him making the team? I've heard from 2 other friends (non HF members) that he's looked fantastic. Include what has been said on here so far...I know I'm starting the hype train waaaaaaay to early, but if he forces himself onto the team, where does he fit?

I said earlier in this thread he's my darkhorse pick to make the team out of camp.

It's a longshot, I'm aware, but I think he's going to surprise people.

If he does make it, he can hopefully slot in either on the 3rd or 4th line.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
I believe he is waiver eligible, so it's important that he demonstrates that his comeback is legit before the team risks him not performing well and giving him up for nothing.

He is infact waiver eligible (which surprised me).

Imo its very likely that he´ll get claimed if they decide to send him down. He is a free asset who looks like he is abound to rebound.

Best thing would be to give him the Joni Ortio route - let him prove himself, if he fails, send him down.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
A few notes from my perspective this morning.

Dillon Dube - Best forward on the ice. He is a puck hound that plays the game with a great deal of energy and has the skillset to convert on the turnovers he creates. What you saw of him at the WJC is a good example of the way he was playing today.

Jusso Valimaki - Best defensemen on the ice without question. He is so smooth in the way he transitions and skates the puck. He covers an enormous amount of the ice with his reach and skating ability. You can tell that he has the confidence to jump into the rush if the opportunity presents itself. He looks like a can't miss NHL player, who in my opinion will be playing and contributing in the big leagues within 2 years.

Josh Teves - In my opinion Josh Teves was by far the biggest standout amongst all of the invitees during the scrimmage. He simply controlled the game in all three zones and was willing to jump up into the rush and take the risks necessary to stand out. The puck seems to follow him on the ice and he consistently made the correct choices. He is definitely a player to keep an eye on moving forward. Extremely impressed.

Rasmus Andersson - Looks NHL ready. Most of us know the type of player he is and that showed today. Rasmus is incredibly poised with the puck and he really exudes high end hockey IQ and confidence in all three zones.

Tyler Parsons - Not much to contribute that hasn't already been said. The kid is legit and simply has the "it" factor about him. Tyler is an extremely aggressive and athletic goaltender who knows how to make the big save at the right time. He made an absolutely phenomenal save on Spencer Foo in the first half of the scrimmage.

Andrew Mangiapane - Kid looks like a future NHL player to me. He has everything you can possibly want in an NHL player with the exception of his size. Great skater, great shot, non-stop motor etc..

Mason McDonald / Nick Schneider - Meh. Average outings. I thought both had their moments but they often over committed to the shooter and found themselves out of position.

Adam Fox - He looks like he has bulked up and does not stand out as being a slightly undersized defensemen. His poise and ability to distribute the puck is simply at a level that none of our other prospects can touch. Elite hockey IQ. Defensive game will need to continue to round out moving forward.

Spencer Foo - He had his moments where he flashed the signs of what we have recently heard. Great hands (as proven by his shootout goal..wow), great puck pursuit and while his skating was alright, he did look a bit rusty. I don't think he is currently NHL ready but in saying that it is only one scrimmage game in the middle of the summer so a larger sample size is without a doubt needed. He had a few glaringly bad turnovers in the defensive zone that will not go over well with the coaching staff.

Oliver Kylington - Typical game from Kylington. I thought he was **** poor in the first half of the scrimmage. He struggled with positioning, one on one battles down low and turned the puck over on a few occasions. Second half I thought he was night and day better. He is such a fluid skater and you can tell he plays with an almost cocky level of confidence. He scored a goal and had a few shifts where he flat out dominated with his skillset. More consistency will be needed moving forward and he exhibited some of the same concerns that many of us have with his game.

Matthew Phillips - I was not overly impressed with what I saw today. He stood out mainly due to his size (so tiny..) but I really thought he was fighting the puck today. He skated well which is to be expected but he put himself in a few bad spots by trying to create too much individually. Not his best performance, but the skill is evident.

Ben Hawerchuk - After Teves he was in my opinion the second most effective walk on. Hawerchuk is a buzz saw and actively looks to get himself involved on a shift to shift basis. He has a decent ability to protect and cycle the puck for a player his size.

Emile Poirier - Flashed signs of his former self but at times looked disengaged from the play. All in all though I was relatively happy with the way he performed. He looked like a player who has pro experience out there.

Adam Ollas-Matsson - Adam is a big man with surprisingly good hands. In addition to that he skates fairly well and can transition the puck at a decent level. Very good stick work and positioning was demonstrated today. Solid prospect who may have the potential to one day see NHL work.

Mitchell Mattson - The kid has a long ways to go. He needs to fill out that frame of his. Showed somewhat decently in the offensive zone, but I have my concerns.

Adam Ruzicka - Adam is a raw prospect. He has a huge frame, decent offensive vision, and can skate at an above average level for a player his size. He needs to concentrate on being more impactful on shift to shift basis.

Hunter Smith - Showed well. Played physical, skated well, and made an impact. It will be interesting to see how his season plays out in Stockton.

Max Verroneau - Verroneau caught my eye on more than a few shifts. He made a very nice pass on the Kylington goal, and I believe netted the empty netter. Good showing for the invite.

Sam Dove-Mcfalls - Big kid that can skate at a high level. I am not sure he has the hands or the finishing ability to translate successfully over as a pro however. Time will tell.

Nobody else stood out to me in a positive or overly negative way. I kind of missed having a can't miss prospect playing this year. I don't think it was as exciting this year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
@highlife: interesting, I thought AOM may have been better than Valimaki. Valimaki was definitely impressive the majority of the time, but he didn't have as many "big" plays that I noticed, and he did get beat A couple of times defensively. I did really like the way he played with Fox, though. As a pairing they were easily the smartest one on the ice

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Wasn't able to get any time to put together some notes before I head to work, but will definitely throw a little something something together later on.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
@highlife: interesting, I thought AOM may have been better than Valimaki. Valimaki was definitely impressive the majority of the time, but he didn't have as many "big" plays that I noticed, and he did get beat A couple of times defensively. I did really like the way he played with Fox, though. As a pairing they were easily the smartest one on the ice

AOM played great. I don't have any issue with that opinion whatsoever. He looks extremely polished which makes sense due to his professional experience.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Thanks for the info so far guys! Exciting feedback.

I wonder if it bodes well for Calgary that it shows more of a metropolitan and exciting city side when these dev camps always happen during Stampede. I know that there was a myriad of things that led Foo to sign with us, but a positive experience during Dev camp was likely a significant contributing factor.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Starting to sound like Poirier could be a darkhorse to make the team out of camp?
He's a 3 year pro playing with guys. That are 18-19 for the most part. He could be the best player by a significant margin and I wouldn't be impressed

You'd have to kind of expect that out of Poirier. He's probably feeling fantastic after going through a dark period in his life, and has a lot to prove. Question is whether he can sustain it through training camp, and if necessary through the AHL season.
like I said to I above, he's had 3 years in the AHL,he should be absolutely dominant

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Here goes.

Forwards:
The Good -

Dillon Dube - Easily the best player on the ice. Was buzzing and dangerous all game. Really showed his speed and skill. Borderline elite change of direction gives him the ability to first evade and then separate from checkers with his speed. Created a ton of space for himself and showed confidence carrying the puck and generating offence. Has a bit of puck hound in him and a non stop motor. The hype train should've started long ago with him.

Spencer Foo - Wasn't close to his performance last year, yet was still solid. Showed high end hands on a couple occasions, which when paired with his speed/determination could be a deadly combo.

Emile Poirier - Didn't dominate at all, contrary to what has been inferred a couple times. Didn't notice much bad, and the wheels were most definitely still there. Created a few offensive chances.

Ryan Lomberg - When considering the fact that an intrasquad type game won't truly allow him to showcase himself to the fullest, he was still impactful. Lots of speed and doesn't take a minute off. Another guy with a good motor and ability to forecheck. Liked how vocal he was on the ice.

Adam Ruzicka - Don't mistake this for me saying he was the 5th best forward today, I just didn't have anywhere else to make the quick note that I may be eating crow on this pick. Yes, there still are players I would have preferred there, but he overall showed well. Puck protection was his biggest strength I had noted. Willingness to drive the net.

The Bad -

Eetu Tuulola - After setting the bar high (and unrealistic) last year, he was definitely back down to earth. Didn't bring any of the elements that made people fall in love with him last year. Didn't seem overly engaged and no notable improvement in his skating.

Brett Pollock - Man, what a shot on his goal, but aside from that, not much in the way of positives. Looked like more of a perimeter player than he should be given his size.

Defence:
The Good -

Kayle Doetzel - Was just very, very effective, although not flashy in any sense. Made simple, effective decisions to move the puck, held gods gaps, and was physically engaged.

Juuso Valimaki - Virtual lock to be an NHL top 4 D IMO. All scouting reports calling him an offensive D are just wrong. Yes, he's very good in that regard, but also has all the tools to be an effective "modern day shutdown" guy if you will. Holds good gaps, good skater, active stick and size. All while moving the puck very well and jumping into the rush.

Oliver Kylington - Oozes skill, and when he's on, look out.

Adam Ollas-Matsson - Skating looks to be improved, and looks notably thicker than before. Was less active in the offence than last year, but also had less gaffs.

Josh Teves - Controlled the play from the backend and is a very mobile guy. Was really the only invite worth noting as there weren't any Foo, Aagaard, Lomberg or Jooris type performances.

The Bad -

Oliver Kylington - How polarizing is this guy? If he were to play like "the good" Kylington all the time he could be on my team all day long. "The bad" Kylington, which was very much present today, I don't think I'd want anywhere near my team. Even a mix of both (as was the case) due to the position he plays is still a tough pill to swallow. Until he cleans up the glaring turnovers (had to have been pushing 10) and lost battles I have a hard time seeing him as anything more than a #6 PP guy.

Goalies:
The Good -

Tyler Parsons - Simply a stud. His compete and quickness is apparent. Made numerous big saves.

Other Notes -

Defencemen were overall more impressive than the forwards. Too many to list under the good, but Fox and Andersson were also solid.

Goaltending was solid, though McDonald still let in his patented weak one on a squeaker in the shootout. The all had their moments.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I honestly forgot Pollock was still Flames property. What an underwhelming prospect.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Made a gif of Parson's save on Foo. Caged Great's footage.

MSK0yYj.gif

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Some takeaways.

If Dube isn't a full time Flame in like 2 years max something went wrong because he plays a very mature game and looks to be NHL ready right now. I can't fathom Dube not playing for the Flames very soon, kid is legit. He'll be a mainstay on our PK for a long time.

Kylington goes from 10/10 to 0/10 fast. His offensive zone instincts are elite level, but his decision making defensively (and in general) is quite poor. I think he either overthinks the play or is unwilling to make the easy play because a lot of his turnovers are because he tries to be too cute or tries to do everything himself. A lot of that problem stems from him taking 2-3 seconds to think about it rather than 1 second to think about it, which he'll get shredded at the NHL level if he can't "smarten" up. Still though, he's 20 years old. If he stayed in the AHL for 3 more years refining his defensive game he'd be a beast at 23. His gap control and defensive awareness I find to be good, just making decisions with the puck I find to be the problem. He can also run a PP like the best of them.

Parsons will probably be the Flames starter by 2020-2021 (3 seasons away), he is a legit blue chip prospect and the best prospect the Flames have, Janko may be more NHL ready, but Parsons could be, if Flames brought him up in 2-3 years the next Matt Murray, ala backing his team to a Cup. Kid is unreal. Future is real bright with him and Gillies back there.

No one dominated the scrimmage like years past, but players you'd expect to look good did like Poirier, Foo, Mangiapane, Phillips. As much as I like Phillips I don't see him ever playing in the NHL. I hate saying that because we have Johnny Hockey, but he is on a whole other level of small. Even Mangiapane didn't seem much taller than him, but Mangiapane is way thicker and is very good on the boards and doesn't shy away from contact.

Excited to watch these guys play in real competition come September.

Right now of all our prospects making the team from Sept/Oct. I'd rank em:

1. Janko
2. Dube
3. Foo
4. Poirier
5. Mangiapane
6. Kulak (just because I put all the forwards first)
7. Anderrson

I can definitely see quite a few of these guys ending up in Flames silks down the line. I know laws of averages when it comes to prospects is quite poor, but I just see too much good out of these guys.

I'd like to see Tkachuk get moved up with Mony and Gaudreau so Backs and Fro can work wonders with another rookie, then have Bennett play with a skilled rookie like Janko or Mangiapane or Foo, then have a guy like Dube play on the 4th line and PK. Just imagine, a Flames team with 3 whole rookies up front.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some takeaways.

If Dube isn't a full time Flame in like 2 years max something went wrong because he plays a very mature game and looks to be NHL ready right now.
Not to pick on you Peeps, but this kinda of comments are ridiculous. This is nothing more than a scrimmage, all it takes is a good day to look like a future star. They are also against guys of their own age/experience, where they are often already elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad