Prospect Info: 2016-17 Calgary Flames Prospect Stats & Discussion Thread (CHL, NCAA & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Right now of all our prospects making the team from Sept/Oct. I'd rank em:

1. Janko
2. Dube
3. Foo
4. Poirier
5. Mangiapane
6. Kulak (just because I put all the forwards first)
7. Anderrson

Janko, Poirrer and Kulak need to make the NHL FAST. if they cant do it in the next year or two, they are done as a Flames. Probably same with Foo

Dube, Andersson Mangiapane have time. It would be a semi miracle for them to make the team out of camp.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not to worried about Janko, he'd be on the team this year, if it wasn't for Stajan. I don't think Stajan has any desire to leave Calgary, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang them up and take some sort of position in management after this year. Poirier is all but a bust, he'll have to have one amazing bounce back year, to even get him back into consideration. Kulak, well he might still carve out a 6/7 defenseman career. Every team has a Kulak, so not much concern of him being claimed. Just let him continue to improve and you never know.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not to pick on you Peeps, but this kinda of comments are ridiculous. This is nothing more than a scrimmage, all it takes is a good day to look like a future star. They are also against guys of their own age/experience, where they are often already elite.

I agree not to base it solely off of a scrim, but lets not pretend like Dube wasn't a good prospect before yesterday's scrim either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree not to base it solely off of a scrim, but lets not pretend like Dube wasn't a good prospect before yesterday's scrim either.
good prospect yes, but not to the point where something seriously wrong has to happen for him to not be on the team in 2 years. that kind of asinine comment does nothing but set unrealistic expectations.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The hype on Tuola last year was quite amusing. Good prospect for a late pick, but he's a long shot to ever play. Dube is legit, he's gonna play and hopefully ends up as a Gallagher type.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
The hype on Tuola last year was quite amusing. Good prospect for a late pick, but he's a long shot to ever play. Dube is legit, he's gonna play and hopefully ends up as a Gallagher type.

The fire that Tuulola had at Development Camp was really quite something to behold; similar to what Foo showed this year. I agree, though -- he'll be lucky to get more than a couple of games... he is just a sixth-rounder, after all.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
good prospect yes, but not to the point where something seriously wrong has to happen for him to not be on the team in 2 years. that kind of asinine comment does nothing but set unrealistic expectations.

There's nothing wrong with not being a fence sitter and having strong opinions on guys.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Welcome back man!

Thanks, it's been a long journey to get back. I always regretted how I went out here... took some time to reflect on what I did wrong, and I'm trying to come back with a new outlook on posting here. Just want to stay out of trouble and talk hockey. :)

Anyhow, Dube was really incredible at Development Camp, as were Phillips, Mangiapane, and Foo. On defense, Kylington was definitely the best, followed by Valimaki, Andersson, and Fox. Parsons stole the show, he was incredible.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
my issue is that strong of an opinion after a ****ing scrimmage

Having it just based on a scrimmage is foolish, yes. But everyone knew (or should have) that he was a hell of a prospect. This isn't a Tuulola situation.

Looking at the entire picture (and I said it in his draft thread) he's a virtual lock to play to me.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
my issue is that strong of an opinion after a ****ing scrimmage

Dude chill, I'm the one that made the original comment and I even prefaced the whole thing by saying "I know it's one scrimmage". Nobody that posts here is an idiot, it's simply fun to think what if??? I fully expect dube to go back to junior.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Dube improved his game in Kelowna last year, was part of the best line on Team Canada in juniors and continued to show it at this camp. It's more than just some scrimmage where I base my opinion.

He plays a "mature" game compared to a lot of prospects which is why I think he'll make the Flames very soon. He already plays a very NHL game, moreso than all our other forward prospects (outside of perhaps Janko, but Janko is more of a top 6 player, whereas Dube can play the bottom 6 right away).

Like I think Mangiapane will be a better player, but Dube is more NHL ready IMO because coaches can count on him in the d-zone and up and plays a more consistent game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Man, this is going to be a long, long summer.
Just us morons getting excited about prospects in the only hockey action over the next 3 months :laugh:

No one better catch the USA/Canada summer showcase camps and get excited about any of our prospects. No one.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There is nothing too odd about players making the NHL in their draft + 2 season.

For defencemen yes, forwards no.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There is nothing too odd about players making the NHL in their draft + 2 season.

For defencemen yes, forwards no.
My issue isn't someone thinking he can make it in 2 years. My issue was with the stupid statement that if he doesn't something terrible has happened to his development. That is simply an asinine statement.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
My issue isn't someone thinking he can make it in 2 years. My issue was with the stupid statement that if he doesn't something terrible has happened to his development. That is simply an asinine statement.

I think what he meant was that if Dube didn't make it in two years it'd mean he's regressed because he's virtually NHL-ready now. I don't see that as being that incendiary of a thing to say.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone see Foo in development camp? My dad said he was standoutish.

MY buddy who attended put it this way:
He looked like an older kid with skill, so it made him look really strong. The guy has good hands though; and showed some flashes. Would like to see him in real camp.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
since we seem to have a lot of overlap between this thread and the Stockton Heat thread, I have combined them for the 2017-18 season.

New thread can be found here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad