2016-17 Backup Goalie

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Wonder if they just trade Lupul for Howard or something. Maybe some conditional picks thrown in somewhere as well.

Just someone to ride out the year who would probably get snapped up in a years time in the expansion draft.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Wonder if they just trade Lupul for Howard or something. Maybe some conditional picks thrown in somewhere as well.

Just someone to ride out the year who would probably get snapped up in a years time in the expansion draft.

Interesting idea. The only problem is we have Lupul on the books for 2 years and Howard is 3 years. Howard is also injury prone. Lupul will play hard and get injured thus hiding his salary so it takes care of itself.

Mad Brills*

why?

Adding another year of salary that's not needed.

They're going to not have lupul on the team in 2017-18, one way or another, through trade/buyout.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
With potential cap issues happening around the Cowen saga, it might be Andersen playing 70 games and Bibeau or Sparks for the rest.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
why?

Adding another year of salary that's not needed.

They're going to not have lupul on the team in 2017-18, one way or another, through trade/buyout.

We don't really have a cap situation (once the Cowen things clears up), and this moves out a forward contract to a place where we can hide it better.

Someone picking up Howard in the expansion is also a lot more likely than someone picking up Lupul IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Still think the most obvious goalie is the one we'll go with. Enroth on a 2 year deal between 1M-1.5M per.

Mad Brills*

Seeing as they dumped bernier for nothing, rehabilating his value might have been the best play......

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seeing as they dumped bernier for nothing, rehabilating his value might have been the best play......

Look at our cap situation if we had kept Bernier, especially if we somehow get saddled with Cowen's contract.

Mad Brills*

Look at our cap situation if we had kept Bernier, especially if we somehow get saddled with Cowen's contract.

cowen would've been buried with 900k cap hit.

They would've been fine.

DOn't sign martin then.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
cowen would've been buried with 900k cap hit.

They would've been fine.

DOn't sign martin then.

No, if Cowen stays in the AHL he is a 2.15M cap hit.

I'd rather have Martin then 4M in dead money on the bench in a back up. Bad cap management.

Mad Brills*

I'd rather have Martin then 4M in dead money on the bench in a back up. Bad cap management.

uh, how much was he making the ahl this year?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Anderssen replaced Bernier, they wouldn't be here together.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
the one where you maximize asset management.

What would you rather have Matt Martin or a 3rd-7th round pick?

Considering the sheer volume of picks we have at this point, I'd rather just have Matt Martin to help out our bottom 6. He's going to play 82 games and provide something we need, versus Bernier playing 20-25 games and being flipped for a pick that likely becomes nothing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Especially when one was traded for the other.

Writing was on the wall for me.

Both Bernier and Bozak had bonus pay outs on July 1st.

When we didn't get Stamkos, Bozak was staying. When we got Andersen, figured someone would find Bernier appealing at 2.15M salary as long as they had the cap.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Get a journey man goaltender who can play in both the A and the big club and switch with Sparks periodically through out the season.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
The real question is could Aders Lindback come into the season completly heathy. He has been dealing with nagging injury issues for the past 3 seasons.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Goalies are inherently unpredictable. It is entirely possible that Bernier will have a good season in Anaheim, playing behind a better D and experiencing the benefits of a fresh start with a new team. He may even have better stats than Andersen. If that happens, Brills would be able to say, "I told you so," and doubtless will do so. But Bernier wouldn't have that season with the Leafs, IMO. And it is unlikely he would increase his trade value heading into an expansion draft in which teams can only protect one goalie. The trade value of backups is unlikely to increase this year, across the NHL.

This is not a bad time to pick up a backup cheap for the next couple of seasons. If I had to guess, Enroth would be the most likely candidate, as many posters have said. I have no complaints about asset management here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad