2016-17 Backup Goalie

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think management will target a 1B type of goaltender. It seems clear that they want Andersen to feel secure as the starter. A veteran backup that knows his role and can provide a steady presence will suffice.

Exactly they want him to feel secure and keeping Bernier around had the potential to have two goalies with similar numbers. They don't want to have to deal with that anymore and that is in everyone's best interest.

Reimer will do well in Florida
Bernier will do well in Anaheim
Andersen should do as well as Reimer and Bernier(2nd half of season) did last year.

The fact that Andersen will be the undisputed #1 will be one less problem for him to deal with...can he handle this market is the big question, but we got 5 years to figure that out :)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd like to see them go over to Europe and sign another Jonas Gustavsson type young goalie. Frederik Andersen kind of came out of nowhere like that too. It would be nice to bring someone like that along and see if you might have a challenger to Andersen emerge over the next few years. Keep things fresh and competitive until a true star goalie emerges.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Five goalies the Maple Leafs might pursue
Kristen Shilton, TSN.ca Toronto Maple Leafs Reporter

http://www.tsn.ca/five-goalies-the-maple-leafs-might-pursue-1.525173

Jhonas Enroth (UFA)

Enroth has spent the last two seasons as a backup in Dallas and Los Angeles. Last season he started 13 games, finishing 7-5-1 with 2.17 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage. Those are good numbers in a small sample size, but the issue with Enroth, 28, is what he did before he replaced Martin Jones in L.A. Playing behind a Drew Doughty-led defence bolstered his stats compared to 2014-15 in Dallas (2.38 goals-against average, .906 save percentage in nine starts) and 2013-14 in Buffalo (3.27 goals-against average, .903 save percentage). The Maple Leafs finished 27th in the league in goals-against last season, and while the addition of Nikita Zaitsev may help, that blueline group is still a work in progress.

Karri Ramo (UFA)

Once the Calgary Flames acquired Brian Elliott during last month’s draft, it was clear Ramo, 29, would have to find a new address. He had a strange up-and-down season in 2015-16. A rough start to October (0-3, 4.37 goals-against average, .879 save percentage) got him put on waivers, which he cleared, and was assigned to the Flames’ AHL affiliate in Stockton. He returned to Calgary by Halloween. When his season ended with a torn ACL in mid-February, Ramo had a 17-18-1 record with 2.63 goals-against average and .909 save percentage. He was strong during the Flames 2014-15 playoff run and showed flashes of great play last season. His inconsistencies and injury problems make him best suited to be a backup.

Keith Kinkaid (New Jersey Devils)

Lamoriello signed the 27 year old as a free agent out of Union College back in 2012 and he’s spent part of the last two seasons playing behind Cory Schneider. He appeared in 23 games last season, finishing 9-9-0 with 2.81 goals-against average and .904 save percentage. At 6-foot-3, Kinkaid has good agility and is known as a strong puck handler. He has a $725,000 cap hit next season before becoming a UFA.

Reto Berra (Florida Panthers)

Traded by the Colorado Avalanche in June, Berra, 29, put up solid numbers last season in the NHL. He appeared in 14 games for the Avalanche, posting a 7-7-0 record with 2.41 goals-against average and .922 save percentage. Berra was Florida’s insurance against Roberto Luongo’s recovery from a hip injury, but general manager Tim Rowe expects his starter to be ready to go for the start of the season, and the Panthers inked James Reimer to a five-year deal on July 1. Berra carries a $1.45 million cap hit for one season before he’s a UFA.

Thomas Greiss (New York Islanders)

The Islanders have an interesting goaltending situation: Jaroslav Halak should be back healthy, Greiss is owed $2 million in the last year of his contract and Jean-Francois Berube is inked for one more season at $675,000. Berube has been kept off waivers because the Islanders don’t want to lose him, which could indicate Greiss is available to be traded. The 30-year-old had a good season in 2015-16, going 23-11-4 with 2.36 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage. He’s an expensive option, but fits the pro type Toronto is after.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Michael Leighton is still around somewhere from what I seen :naughty: I kid, I kid. It's gonna be either through trade or through a PTO battle with Sparks.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Ellis and Ramo seem like the best options. There's a bunch of young guys too who weren't tendered although they don't have great numbers playing in the minors. Maybe bring one in on a PTO to battle it out with Sparks? I doubt that'll be the case but doesn't seem like the worst idea given we have very little chance of competing next year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think management will target a 1B type of goaltender. It seems clear that they want Andersen to feel secure as the starter. A veteran backup that knows his role and can provide a steady presence will suffice.

Yeah no more goalie controversies
Andersen is the clear #1.....unless he totally screws up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not a fan of Scrivens at all and I really never saw the potential in him even when he was with us.

I'm also not a big fan of Enroth but his body of work suggests he's better than my liking of him so I guess that could work.

I do like the idea of Ramo but I forgot he had a big injury last season, so perhaps it's not the best signing we could do. He'd be my favourite though if he was healthy. Another Calgary goaltender that could be interesting is Ortio, who had a really tough time in Calgary. He's young and could be a decent backup.

I do like the idea of trading someone like Michalek or Greening for Berra, which would cut some cap space and trim some dead weight. They have a lot of minor league goaltenders signed too, so the depth is there to backup Reimer if Luongo isn't healthy to start.

With all that said, Leafs can't afford to trade any valuable asset or pick for a backup goaltender. That would be pretty stupid.

Mad Brills*

Andersen hopefully plays around 55-58 games

Need someone to fill that ~25 game gap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Now isnt the time to trade for a young goalie, because we'll have to expose him in the expansion draft. We need to sign a guy for cheap or essentially acquire one for future considerations.

Goalies on ELC contracts (with minimum experience) don't have to be exposed if there is another goalie that can be.

So acquiring a young goalie via trade for the future can still continue even with expansion looming.

However it is being reported that Babcock wants a vet as a backup on the Leafs and my answer was to find a #1 for the Marlies for next year.

Reto Berra would be my choice as backup and Florida will put him on waivers now that they have signed Reimer to back up Lou. Berra is 6-4/210lbs and would make an ideal backup for this year and exposed in the expansion draft.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
One year deal for a backup up.Andersen will be protected and if the backup is any good Vegas could scoop him up.Develop or sign a better back up after the expansion draft.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
One year deal for a backup up.Andersen will be protected and if the backup is any good Vegas could scoop him up.Develop or sign a better back up after the expansion draft.

I do believe the goalie has to be under contract for the rcpansion so I assume we give a 2 year deal to whoever.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Jhonas Enroth
Joni Ortio (PTO)
Michael Leighton (PTO)
Trade

Enroth is the best option on the FA market by far. Ortio is the best option out of the younger goalies, but Sparks is probably better than him. Leighton is the best option out of the 30+. I probably would go to the trade market if these guys aren't the answer. Scrivens, Lindback, Ramo, etc. aren't even worth considering IMO.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Ben Scrivens (on the Steve Dangle Podcast) couldn't say anything on his contract situation. He said it'll be finalized in a day or two, hopefully. Maybe a return to Toronto in the works?

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Need the following qualities IMO

1.Capable of playing 20-30 games at the NHL level and giving a reasonably consistent level of play.
2.Veteran who's been around the block a few times. Andersen's still young need a backup with experience.
3.Someone who knows his role. No more of this goalie controversy BS. Get an actual backup.

I'd probably go with Enroth or Ramo. Though I'd prefer Enroth.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Ben Scrivens (on the Steve Dangle Podcast) couldn't say anything on his contract situation. He said it'll be finalized in a day or two, hopefully. Maybe a return to Toronto in the works?

He also said he was familiar with people in the organzation which when you consider our need and teams/players he's familiar with (and their needs), its not a very long shot to see him returning.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Scrivens, Chad Johnson or Carter Hutton. I think we go with 1 of the 3.

...But in regards to Enroth, feel free to disregard his stats in LA - every goalie who plays there has amazing numbers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad