2016-17 Backup Goalie

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't see why people really want Scrivens back. He's been one of the worst goaltenders in the league over the last few years. Feels like it's a case of familiarity, as there are goaltenders with much better resumes available.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't see why people really want Scrivens back. He's been one of the worst goaltenders in the league over the last few years. Feels like it's a case of familiarity, as there are goaltenders with much better resumes available.

Yeah I said Scrivens, but would like to change my mind. I didn't realize how bad his stats are and he's been on what, 4 different teams in 3 years? Then i remember how he performed here.
Anyway, we've been down that road, and we're on a new path now

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
One thing I'm confused by:

Why aren't the Leafs looking for basically the cheapest goalie available? Isn't the primary motivation right now to minimize bonus cap hits from guys like Marner, Matthews etc. that carryover?

Do we care about/ even want the extra 1-3 wins a decent versus a bargain basement goalie gets us?

Give a young goalie a shot at the league minimum basically?

What am I missing?

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010

Why aren't the Leafs looking for basically the cheapest goalie available? Isn't the primary motivation right now to minimize bonus cap hits from guys like Marner, Matthews etc. that carryover?

Do we care about/ even want the extra 1-3 wins a decent versus a bargain basement goalie gets us?

What am I missing?

You want a culture where the young guys are winning, learning, developing. You don't want to be losing games because of unreliable goaltending.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

What am I missing?

First, if you think a better backup only means a couple more wins then it won't have much effect on cap hits either.

Whatever cap hit our guys get on their ELCs are a minor concern either way. The primary motivation that you talk about is putting our young guys in a situation where they are as likely as possible to develop. Reliable goaltending can absolutely be a part of that.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

I don't think they are terribly concerned with bonus carryover, they will have plenty of cap room opening up and only probably only one significant RFA to sign in Zaitsev.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah he recently signed for two more years in KHL.

You need a damned good eye for it too. Ramo was pretty damn awesome over there and pretty average here.

Koskinen had some good potential as a prospect, fizzled out here, went back overseas, built himself up, re-established himself as a good goalie and now he may be ready to come back over for another kick at the can.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You want an established Backup so you don't have any "hey i wonder if ____ can steal Andersen's job."
like he KNOWS that's what he is, he's OKAY with what he is and zero drama.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You want an established Backup so you don't have any "hey i wonder if ____ can steal Andersen's job."
like he KNOWS that's what he is, he's OKAY with what he is and zero drama.

Enroth is probably the most obvious candidate out there, he costs zero assets.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
A blogger on Ek's site, don't know much about Hinka. Good? bad? Indifferent?
Looking for a backup? Toronto should pursue another deal where they take on a bad contract goaltender; possibly Dallas if they are considering dumping Niemi. The Stars are a team that could contend, giving them cap relief of 4.5 million dollars could give the Leafs the opportunity to steal one of Dallas’ quality defensive prospects. They have both Honka and Lindell who are quality defensive prospects and Honka is a guy I’d love to see the Leafs target.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Lucas-Neilson/Maple-Leafs-Offseason-Overview/222/78141

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Got a feeling we will have our back up by the end of the weekend.

Couldn't see Lou dragging it out much longer when he puts so much emphasis on the position.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Enroth is probably the most obvious candidate out there, he costs zero assets.

Enroth stated this to an LA reporter back in April:

If you sign a guy for $1.2 million, you’re not going to play him 13 games, in my opinion. You should play him 20 or 25.

“I thought I earned more games, obviously. I played pretty solid in the games I got, but I got a lot of breaks in between games too, so it’s tough to get a groove going.

I'd be good with him. Especially if Andersen pulls a Bernier.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Think I read somewhere on here that either Wedgwood or Kincaid would be exposed to waivers this year from the Devils. We could steal a goalie off waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad