Speculation: 2016-17 ★ Trade Proposals and Speculation ★

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Would they just burn a year off his ELC to sit in the pressbox with Hamhuis and Pateryn? Seems like a pretty big waste to me.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Would they just burn a year off his ELC to sit in the pressbox with Hamhuis and Pateryn? Seems like a pretty big waste to me.

I'd suspect a large part of him signing here is because we can offer him a chance at playing time this season. Without that, perhaps we don't get him.

Still seem wasteful? Seems more opportunistic to me.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'd suspect a large part of him signing here is because we can offer him a chance at playing time this season. Without that, perhaps we don't get him.

Still seem wasteful? Seems more opportunistic to me.

I said in the other thread, he won't be ahead of Lindell, 2 of Hamhuis/Oleksiak/Nemeth who are here post expansion, and any possible free agent, assuming Johns/Klingberg/Honka on the right side.

Are we going to have 9 defensemen up because they've said Honka is happening soon? He'll be in the AHL next year, that would be about 15 NHL games of evidence before he needs to get paid again.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Haven't we speculated that DH might be the Vegas pick, should they want to be competitive now? Gets rid of one left hander.

Or, Nill is throwing darts and hoping one hits the bullseye this time.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
its nothing more than we get a defenseman who is mature in terms of his development, for free

nhler this year? nope

ahler next year? you bet

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Haven't we speculated that DH might be the Vegas pick, should they want to be competitive now? Gets rid of one left hander.

Or, Nill is throwing darts and hoping one hits the bullseye this time.

My thinking is we have to get somebody to replace Hamhuis if he goes. Maybe he doesn't, but Friedman said this week in his 30 thoughts that McPhee was going to share the lists and have an auction on players other GMs wanted so Hamhuis could make sense somewhere.

Anyways, that's Lindell, Hamhuis, and Oleksiak/Nemeth ahead of Bayreuther if somebody else gets taken. It makes much more sense to develop Oleksiak or Nemeth into a Hamhuis replacement if we can than to give a rookie those minutes when he should be in the AHL on the top pair.

Or we have money to spend and spend some on defense and we have Pateryn, Johns, Honka, and Klingberg on the right side so we get Brendan Smith for 4x4. So the left side would be Lindell, Hamhuis, and Smith plus Oleksiak/Nemeth in the press box. 8 defensemen so no room for Bayreuther.

Or we lose one of our lefties and sign somebody so we have Lindell, Smith, and Oleksiak/Nemeth/Hamhuis plus the 4 righties. So rather than sit in the pressbox, Bayreuther should be in the AHL.

In most cases it's unreasonable to think a college defenseman can just do this so I am assuming he's better off in the AHL than the NHL for next year.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
It would be easier to go find some better possession players and run a system where the focus is on getting and holding on to the puck rather than wasting it on unsuccessful rushes across the blue line.

I don't expect them to sign any D men in the offseason. I'd probably guess that they'll go pick up 1-2 depth forwards who are actually good and healthy and are basically better Adam Cracknells, which would be great because Cracknell is what this team needs more of.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
It would be easier to go find some better possession players and run a system where the focus is on getting and holding on to the puck rather than wasting it on unsuccessful rushes across the blue line.

I don't expect them to sign any D men in the offseason. I'd probably guess that they'll go pick up 1-2 depth forwards who are actually good and healthy and are basically better Adam Cracknells, which would be great because Cracknell is what this team needs more of.

So where do you see us putting all the cap space we'll have come this off-season...somewhere around $15-$20 million, after an assumed goalie buyout and loss of a potential roster player? Goalie? Scoring forward like Oshie? We'll need to find someone to score after we lose Sharp and Hemsky and no one in the minors who can come up and fill that role.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
So where do you see us putting all the cap space we'll have come this off-season...somewhere around $15-$20 million, after an assumed goalie buyout and loss of a potential roster player? Goalie? Scoring forward like Oshie? We'll need to find someone to score after we lose Sharp and Hemsky and no one in the minors who can come up and fill that role.

Stars can use that to make a cheeky bid for N'Golo Kante to strengthen the midfield

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
What cap hit and length for hemsky next contract you guys think?

I would be pretty happy if it ended up being 1 year and then anywhere from 1- 2 mil, although I wouldn't expect him to sign until after expansion

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW

Besides going after a strong midfielder...

I see a few million going into RFAs pockets, maybe some money being thrown at Mason or Bernier (please Bernier) and hopefully Bonino or Stafford. Otherwise the UFA pool really really really really sucks this offseason. There may be teams willing to part with expensive contracts, but I really don't see a lot of movement.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I agree with Hemmer on a series of 1 year deals, if he pans out next year.

That said, what we as fans think, and the players demand is always different, with players demanding higher. Hemsky will likely demand 2 years or go somewhere else. Over 30, the security of a second year seems to be a big thing. He looks good upon return, skating fast, passing rather than shooting, and creating lots of chances, but less scoring, which isn't all on him.

I sense he won't take a pay cut of less than half his current $4M, so I predict 2 years @ $2M AAV, maybe $2.5 and $1.5 or similar, to make it easier to trade him at the TDL the second year, if required. Of course, we may need to trade him at the TDL next year, too, so maybe just $2 per year.

Think similar for Sharp, maybe $2.9-3M for either one or two years would be his ask. Hopefully the Stars can get him back less expensively.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I really, really hope we move on from Sharp. I'm not in love with bringing back Hemsky but he's a cheaper option so they have money for a goalie move or two.

A new system and competent defensive coach could make all the difference to the defense. Dumping both goaltenders somehow is the holy grail.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I really, really hope we move on from Sharp. I'm not in love with bringing back Hemsky but he's a cheaper option so they have money for a goalie move or two.

A new system and competent defensive coach could make all the difference to the defense. Dumping both goaltenders somehow is the holy grail.

How do you suggest replacing a player like Sharp who is 3rd behind Ritchie and Seguin in iCF60 in the past two years?

Janmark returning from injury is a start. Hemsky returning also helps. Internally the options are so limited.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Don't understand how anybody can have a problem with signing sharp to a good deal.

You don't understand because you've made a classic strawman. Nobody is arguing against signing a "good deal," but there's plenty of reason to be skeptical a good deal exists. There aren't a ton of good players out there this summer and we know at least 12 teams will lose a forward to Vegas. We can't offer the most money or the best cup chance.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Would he take the Eaves deal? 1 year $1 million.

Why would he sign for that here? Players take less because they like their situation or because they want to win. None of us can speak to the former but there are better bets for the Cup than Dallas if he's going to be that cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad