Speculation: 2016-17 ★ Trade Proposals and Speculation ★

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't know why people think signing Washington's worst defenseman to a 6 year 6M contract is going to solve our problems.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You don't watch a lot of Caps games, do you?

Cute answer. Maybe you should pay attention to the games. He is without a doubt their worst defenseman and that includes Brooks Orpik.

What about Karl Alzner and his 13 points in 71 games this year is going to help us?

Does he suppress shots? Nope.

alzneka88
alzneka88

Can he drive offense? Absolutely not.

alzneka88
alzneka88

So what service do you expect him to provide the Dallas Stars other than taking up 6M in cap space for the next 6 seasons?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The thing I always find a little off is that everyone hates turtling.

But, people are more than happy to bring in players who do nothing but turtle at every moment, regardless of the situation.

And the results are so predictably bad, but fans still clamor for these one dimensional defensemen. I don't get it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd rather go after Shattenkirk or move assets for Orlov than go for Alzner. Orlov especially. I'd be surprised if he gets moved, but the Caps could be in a world of hurt cap-wise this offseason.

Dallasman is right, though. The coaching staff is the main issue defensively. Fix that, and it'll be better. The personnel do need to improve as well, though.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Misty,

Probably right that any deception would have limited value, but it was a thought.

As to Jordie, I guess you don't know what you got til its gone. He did seem pretty solid the last few years, and at least one site had his possession numbers averaging out to solid second pair D, something we have been looking for forever, and we had it and let it go. That said, he was used on third pair most, so maybe his numbers puff up a bit against lesser competition. Not to worry about it now. As someone said, trading out third pair D is like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Of all the comments made by Sevryn last night, he was most emphatic that they need to bring in an outside D in the off season, as in "They need to do SOMETHING". Again, not sure an announcer is privy to their thoughts, but he is an inside hockey guy. And, for that matter, when your D and PK are last in the league, that would be pretty obvious to anyone. Not that Haimus has made a big difference, so its is still a crap shoot.

As far as I can tell, the Stars statistically give up the most in tight, quality scoring chances in the NHL. If I understand correctly, half of that is Kari giving up more rebounds than the average goalie, and our D not clearing them, last night excepted.

There was a replay of a close Sharks chance, in slow motion, on the jumborton. The two Stars in the picture were Faksa and Shore. No D to be found. Why wouldn't the D be in close clearing the man and puck from the crease?

I recall Ludwig mentioning a D man who never crossed the centerline of the ice from his side. I see the Stars D running all over the place. I think they need a simpler system that keep the D near the crease, but I am no expert, of course. They were much better last night at clearing those rebounds and blocking shots.

Heika said the practiced it a lot this week. So, the question is, why wait til now to practice a basic?

You might be misunderstanding. I'm taking about a 2 for 1 deal of actual defensemen, not keeping Jordie around at all. A team like the Islanders can't protect all their guys, so adding another one doesn't really change their situation. Vegas couldn't take both Jordie and Johns so their depth wouldn't be hurt as much, and we'd get to protect a better player.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Misty,

We may be talking two different things. I speculated that they would make it look like Jamie O was better than Johns, and protect him, thinking Johns would be less desirable to LV. Again, odd man out on the bottom pairing doesn't seem like something LV will look at.

Again, just random late night thought after the game. And I don't think JO looks good.

If LV is watching, JO took a whipping on Twitter for the play I described earlier, and a few others where he was just standing around.

I saw the replay of that SJ goal chance again. JO is pinning his guy, sans puck, to the boards and turning his head to watch the play. Surprised he didn't order a dog from the nearby vendor. Meanwhile, Shore and Faksa take over the D since he is out on the flank, useless. They did make a nice play, but it seems to me the forwards ought to be out on the boards hounding the puck carrier, and the D ought to be protecting the front of the next. Basic zone defense.

I know the puck is slippery, but JK and others just chase it all over the zone. Seems like a more stable system would help. But, JO had a lot of trouble clearing the puck, some questionable decisions, no hits, and a lot of standing around. My view is Johns does some questionable things with the puck, but you get a lot more. Protect him, since I doubt LV takes JO after watching any film of him at all. How a D can look bad while the team is pitching a shutout on a division leader is beyond me.

BTW, I am a bigger Nemeth fan than most, still thinking he might turn it around some day, but he had some questionable plays last night, but also a few where he made the right decisions.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Misty,

We may be talking two different things. I speculated that they would make it look like Jamie O was better than Johns, and protect him, thinking Johns would be less desirable to LV. Again, odd man out on the bottom pairing doesn't seem like something LV will look at.

Again, just random late night thought after the game. And I don't think JO looks good.

If LV is watching, JO took a whipping on Twitter for the play I described earlier, and a few others where he was just standing around.

I saw the replay of that SJ goal chance again. JO is pinning his guy, sans puck, to the boards and turning his head to watch the play. Surprised he didn't order a dog from the nearby vendor. Meanwhile, Shore and Faksa take over the D since he is out on the flank, useless. They did make a nice play, but it seems to me the forwards ought to be out on the boards hounding the puck carrier, and the D ought to be protecting the front of the next. Basic zone defense.

I know the puck is slippery, but JK and others just chase it all over the zone. Seems like a more stable system would help. But, JO had a lot of trouble clearing the puck, some questionable decisions, no hits, and a lot of standing around. My view is Johns does some questionable things with the puck, but you get a lot more. Protect him, since I doubt LV takes JO after watching any film of him at all. How a D can look bad while the team is pitching a shutout on a division leader is beyond me.

BTW, I am a bigger Nemeth fan than most, still thinking he might turn it around some day, but he had some questionable plays last night, but also a few where he made the right decisions.

Given the players available league wide, Oleksiak should not be picked by Vegas. If we look at Jordie for example, his play is sweeping Montreal into an epidemic of Jordie-fever that is already spilling over onto our desolate board. Any population center has a huge threat of Jordie fever outbreak, especially Vegas. Just think about who is the best hockey player between him and Oleksiak next year for any pairing. Who is the best hockey player the year after? Who has the higher trade value? Jordie is always the answer. Can we imagine Vegas having 5 other defensemen as good or better than Jordie? Absolutely we can.

Now if we shift to Oleksiak vs Hamhuis, we get the same answers. Hamhuis can get a 2nd and a 3rd on July 1 or at the deadline. If Oleksiak could get a 4th he'd be gone by now. If Vegas' goal is to win in 4 or 5 years, those picks are going to help more than betting that Jamie eventually turns into something. Vegas has a choice to invest time in developing Oleksiak, Dallas is doing it by necessity.

Don't worry about Oleksiak being taken. If Hamhuis goes, we probably can't replace him for what he makes, but we have money to spend and his loss means 3.75m more ammo.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What about Lehtonen for Lehtera + Hutton? We add 4.7m in cap hit in 18-19 but he's not bad as a veteran bottom 6 forward, plus we have a decent backup in Hutton and room to make a play for whichever UFA we want.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
What about Lehtonen for Lehtera + Hutton? We add 4.7m in cap hit in 18-19 but he's not bad as a veteran bottom 6 forward, plus we have a decent backup in Hutton and room to make a play for whichever UFA we want.

I'd pass. I think Lehtera looks pretty incompetent away from Tarasenko.

As opposed to taking on the extra term, I'd rather either: keep Kari as the backup, trade him for a crappy overpaid player with 1 year left (potentially with retained salary), or just buy him out.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Might as well support my argument with some information.

Lehtera has played just over 70% of his even strength minutes with Tarasenko in his career, during that time...

Points per 60 with Tarasenko = 1.83
Points per 60 without Tarasenko = 0.89

I love Tarasenko, I also love that a division rival is stuck paying a parasite $4.7 million a year for the next 2 seasons.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Is there anybody of the right shaped contract we could swap Kari for though?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Is there anybody of the right shaped contract we could swap Kari for though?

Maybe, I think you might need to retain salary to make cap hits close to equivalent though. Guy like Matt Stajan maybe? Really just looking for any random 4th liner in the $3 million range.

Keeping him as a backup or a buyout are also still fine options in my book.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I wonder if Arizona wants to get out from under Goligoki?

When they signed him, they had nothing beyond OEL on the left side, now they have Chychrun.

Now that they have a cost controlled defensemen in Chychrun and Deangelo. Maybe they'd want to offload some risk?

I mean I wouldn't pay much for Goligoski, he was traded for a 5th because of concerns with paying him $5.475 million a year, now that price is a certainty.

To Dallas
Goligoski
Domingue

To Arizona
Kari @ $2.95
Nemeth

*Trade happens after the expansion draft
*I know this won't be popular

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I wonder if Arizona wants to get out from under Goligoki?

When they signed him, they had nothing beyond OEL on the left side, now they have Chychrun.

Now that they have a cost controlled defensemen in Chychrun and Deangelo. Maybe they'd want to offload some risk?

I mean I wouldn't pay much for Goligoski, he was traded for a 5th because of concerns with paying him $5.475 million a year, now that price is a certainty.

To Dallas
Goligoski
Domingue

To Arizona
Kari @ $2.95
Nemeth

*Trade happens after the expansion draft
*I know this won't be popular

I don't see why they'd bite on that. Chayka has been getting something for making moves like these and I'd rather have both of the pieces we get from them than Nemeth or one year of half price Kari. Even if they are concerned about risk it doesn't zero Goligoski out. I don't know what we'd kick in that moves the needle for them besides our 2nd, and I do think we need to take this opportunity to gather talent up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad