WJC: 2016 — Finland Roster Talk

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
They may test you... in a job where you'll actually need the language. Which is what I implied too.

They don't really test it in jobs where it's absolutely unnecessary to know it in reality. As in, most of them. With incredibly rotten luck the person making the call may be anal about it (or have a political agenda), but in most cases people are smart enough to not let a whimsical on-paper requirement to stop them from hiring an otherwise competent applicant.

To nitpick this a little further, the language requirements imposed on government officials apply only to persons holding/applying for a position in which an upper level education is set as a requirement when the position is being filled.

So technically not every person holding a pubic office has a duty to know Swedish simply on the grounds that he or she works for the government, which you also implied.:naughty:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Anyways, I know the WJC is not over but teams are already putting the roster for next year. How does Finland look in 2017 minus Laine and Puljujarvi?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Anyways, I know the WJC is not over but teams are already putting the roster for next year. How does Finland look in 2017 minus Laine and Puljujarvi?

why that minus?

It looks like

Laine-Aho-Puljujarvi
Juolevi

something.
something.

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland

Aho, Juolevi, Saarela, Nättinen, Björkvist and Vehviläinen can return, and we'll have a much stronger generation on defense. Won't be quite the fireworks show we have going now if those two aren't there, but a very balanced and capable squad that will most likely look more like a traditional Team Finland.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Let's get away from the culture/language discussion and take it back to WJC roster talk.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland

Defense will be strong with Juolevi, Saarijärvi, Vainio, Välimäki, Niemeläinen, Salo and Felixson/Vaakanainen.

About the forwards, I hope Aho, Laine and Puljujärvi will be there. Also Somppi, Nättinen, Björkqvist, Ruotsalainen, Tammela and Saarela most likely will be on the team. Probably Kristian Vesalainen too.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
if laine and pujulaarvi both go top 5 it will be difficult for NHL teams to keep them in finland for another year.
It's not a given that they'll be with the big club, though. Actually, I'd give it decent odds that at least one of them will be available.

Anyway, something like this...

Goalies + Defense

Veini Vehviläinen
Christian Heljanko
Nico Viksten

Olli Juolevi - Vili Saarijärvi
Robin Salo - Veeti Vainio
Juuso Välimäki - Markus Niemeläinen
Urho Vaakanainen

Forwards, best case scenario

Patrik Laine - Sebastian Aho - Jesse Puljujärvi
Kasper Björkqvist- Aleksi Saarela - Jonne Tammela
Petrus Palmu - Julius Nättinen - Eetu Tuulola
Kristian Vesalainen - Otto Somppi - Aaro Vidgren
Topi Piipponen

Forwards with either Laine or Puljujärvi

Kasper Björkqvist - Sebastian Aho - Laine/Puljujärvi
Kristian Vesalainen - Aleksi Saarela - Jonne Tammela
Topi Piipponen - Otto Somppi - Aaro Vidgren
Henrik Borgström

Forwards without either

Sebastian Aho - Aleksi Saarela - Jonne Tammela
Kasper Björkqvist - Otto Somppi - Kristian Vesalainen
Topi Piipponen - Henrik Borgström - Aaro Vidgren
Arttu Ruotsalainen

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
^ Sebastian Aho is the most likely of that line who will be a regular NHL-player next season.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
^ Sebastian Aho is the most likely of that line who will be a regular NHL-player next season.

I got a feeling Aho might even do 1 more year in Liiga, while I'm sure that Pulju and Laine will go straight to North-America after the summer due to their size and other physical qualities just like it was in Barkov's case and we won't see these 2 in U-20 team anymore. Their NHL teams don't want to risk them getting injured just like they didn't with Barkov or other top-1 to top-3 non Finnish draft picks (Eichel, McDavid and the likes).

Don't get me wrong though, Aho has been awesome and probably better or more important than Pulju and Laine even this tournament but above is my prediction what is going to happen.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I got a feeling Aho might even do 1 more year in Liiga, while I'm sure that Pulju and Laine will go straight to North-America after the summer due to their size and other physical qualities just like it was in Barkov's case and we won't see these 2 in U-20 team anymore. Their NHL teams don't want to risk them getting injured just like they didn't with Barkov or other top-1 to top-3 non Finnish draft picks (Eichel, McDavid and the likes).
The reason said players aren't released is not the fear of injuries, but because they're already important pieces in their NHL team lineups.

Same fate will befall Pulju and Laine too, if they're with their big clubs when next year's event rolls around. If they, however, are in the minors, their odds of getting released are about the same as Rantanen and Kapanen had this year.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu

Don't get me wrong though, Aho has been awesome and probably better or more important than Pulju and Laine even this tournament but above is my prediction what is going to happen.

You're probably right, but from what I read Aho was already great at Carolina's training camp this fall and Kärpät got lucky that they decided to send him back. I just cant see them sending him back again after amazing WJC's and Liiga season.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Not if they know how to assess talent development. A high draft pick number doesnt't mean that they can step in right away.

Unless you have a crystal ball no one can say for sure how big strides they will have taken in development come next season. It's 10 months away and a lot can happen in that timeframe.

If I was a betting man I'd put my money on Laine in particular starting the season in the NHL next year. From the looks of it he would hold his own in NHL action right now. Pulju is more raw so I am not as confident about him, but he doesn't seem to be that far away either.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Jesse John..that's a funny name in any context but especially for a Finnish hockey player. I guess in 1998 people in Europe already gave their kids corny American names.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
what does it say?

- His parents moved to Finland because his mother didn't enjoy his time in Sweden when Jesse was 4 years old and they moved to Finland (Tornio) when Jesse was 4.5 years old
- His father was also a hockey player and he lived most of his life in Sweden, but he always felt himself as a Finn more
- His parents met each other in ship (Finland-Sweden) and Jesse has a little sister
- Jesse moved to Oulu alone when he was 13 years old because of hockey and the team and coaches have treated him very well
- Jesse said that he will wear Finnish jersey for his whole life
- His favourite team with his dad is Chicago
- If they have stayed in Sweden, Jesse probably would play for Brynäs now

That was a short translation.. not many important things but yeah. Jesse Johannes Puljujärvi is his name.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
what does it say?

Jesse's father tells the story of how the family used to live in Sweden. Swedish translates very well into English via Google translate, just use that and you'll get a good understanding of what is said.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
- His parents moved to Finland because his mother didn't enjoy his time in Sweden when Jesse was 4 years old and they moved to Finland (Tornio) when Jesse was 4.5 years old
- His father was also a hockey player and he lived most of his life in Sweden, but he always felt himself as a Finn more
- His parents met each other in ship (Finland-Sweden) and Jesse has a little sister
- Jesse moved to Oulu alone when he was 13 years old because of hockey and the team and coaches have treated him very well

That was a short translation.. not many important things but yeah. Jesse Johannes Puljujärvi is his name.

didnt even realize jesse was born in sweden.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Are both of his parents of Finnish origin?

Mara

May 10, 2011
Are both of his parents of Finnish origin?

According to the article his father was born in Sweden to Finnish parents, mother is a Finn who moved to Sweden after meeting the father.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad