WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaraco

Mar 13, 2014
California
- Our coaching was Atrocious
- We lack offensive dman

- Shoot the puck more
- Quenneville is a generic 5.10/185 pounbds Grinder...we could have used another big body in Dubois or a Sniper like MDC
- Fleury gotta step-up and do more. Dermott has no business on PP.
- Marmer is trying too be 2 fancy. He'll rebound
- Virtanen gave a great effort, his decision-making was avg .
- Where was Beauvillier? top 3 performer in 80% of pre-season and coach bench him? Awful. Should be top 9 Role
- Refs we're awful on both sides

TOP 3 Offensivelly
- Gauthier ( Was a dominant force in front of the net and he has insane speed for a big body
- Strome
- Barzal or Perlini

TOP 2 Defender
- Hickey and Chabot we're very good

McDonald shouldnt start when Montembault was superior in lqast 2 weeks

Sanheim is an offensive defenseman, but like you said, the coaching was atrocious so Sanheim didn't get the chance to show it.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
What has he done to earn that role on this team? He's dropped down the pairings pretty fast IIRC.

Beauvillier was best fwd in all pre-tourney and he get dropped to 13th fwd after 2 avg shift?

Our clown of a coach shifted lines more in 1 game than Therrien has done in the last 3 weeks...that's how ****ing AWFUL it was

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
To be fair when a puck is deflected that close the goalie really doesn't have a chance to react to that, he had no chance on that 3rd goal. Other then the 3rd goal though I though he was below average, his positioning and rebound control left a lot to be desired, the good thing is if we meet the States again it will be with a different goalie.
I just don't think that shot moved far at all, from every angle it looked like more of a bobble than a direction change.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Virtanen and Marner were not as bad today as people are saying on this board.

:snakehead:snakehead
They get more **** because they, along with Point and Strome, are expected to be the offensive catalysts for this team.

If you want the biggest reason we lost today, it's because of those 4, only Strome had a solid game from start to finish.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't get why Sanheim wasn't on the ice when we were down or on the power play, but in tie games or if we are defending a lead Sanheim scares me

He was on the ice with under a minute left and the goalie pulled and made three very nice plays, but then he went off and Hicketts and Chabot did nothing.

Hopefully that means Lowry realized how stupid he'd been all game by not using his best offensive defensemen in offensive situations and next game he'll be used properly. Not holding my breath though.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Beauvillier was best fwd in all pre-tourney and he get dropped to 13th fwd after 2 avg shift?

Our clown of a coach shifted lines more in 1 game than Therrien has done in the last 3 weeks...that's how ****ing AWFUL it was

I'm not arguing with you there. Beauvillier was thrown to the wolves on that PP late in the third.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I just don't think that shot moved far at all, from every angle it looked like more of a bobble than a direction change.

Yeah but it changed direction so close in front of him it probably didn't need to move very much if the tip isn't two feet in front of him and is a few feet farther out he probably is able to adjust to a bit of a tip.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
I'm not arguing with you there. Beauvillier was thrown to the wolves on that PP late in the third.

Quuenneville took a stupid penalty.

Beauvillier won his face-off and did his job. Strong forechecking and great movement by USA to score GWG

Wonderfulmitch

Aug 11, 2015
Marner did nothing offensively for the first 2 periods (even though he was barely even on the ice in the 2nd along with Strome)

But the ridcule this kid is getting (purely because hes a leafs prospect and drafted 4th) is a joke. He was forechecking hard, created turnovers and set up a few scoring chances in the 3rd (as well as a goal to strome). Huge joke that people think he was the worst player today when guys like virtanen and crouse do zero on both sides of the ice.

Well said. Marner thinks the game on another level than a LOT of the other guys (no one denies he is top 3 prospects in the world right now). The only reason he would look 'lost' is because the linemates aren't keeping up, getting in position, etc. That's that something that is going to happen on the NHL level. The better the teammates, the more you will see his linemates be able to cash in on the tremendous plays he makes.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
He was on the ice with under a minute left and the goalie pulled and made three very nice plays, but then he went off and Hicketts and Chabot did nothing.

Hopefully that means Lowry realized how stupid he'd been all game by not using his best offensive defensemen in offensive situations and next game he'll be used properly. Not holding my breath though.

They actually did make some nice plays leading to scoring chances at the end there, but I guess you didn't watch, so that's okay.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well said. Marner thinks the game on another level than a LOT of the other guys (no one denies he is top 3 prospects in the world right now). The only reason he would look 'lost' is because the linemates aren't keeping up, getting in position, etc. That's that something that is going to happen on the NHL level. The better the teammates, the more you will see his linemates be able to cash in on the tremendous plays he makes.

So Strome, who was Canada's best player today and also one of the top prospects in the world, is the reason why Marner didn't have a good game?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They actually did make some nice plays leading to scoring chances at the end there, but I guess you didn't watch, so that's okay.

Well I would have thought Canadas two best offensive defensemen would gave been a guaranteed goal. :sarcasm:

I mean you don't get that much icetime for nothing, right? :laugh:

Chabot is Sanheim-lite and Hicketts gets as much time as he does because his junior coach has his back. Give him their icetime and they'll get some real results.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

Nope. As a Leafs fan, his brain was clearly racing ahead of his body and as a result he fumbled the puck and wasn't moving his legs on multiple occasions. In the third, as he started to move his legs more and get engaged in the flow of play, he started to create more space and chances with his hands/vision. His poor start was NOT caused by his linemates being a step behind.

Well I would have thought Canadas two best offensive defensemen would gave been a guaranteed goal. :sarcasm:

Chabot is Sanheim-lite and Hicketts gets as much time as he does because his junior coach has his back.

Hicketts was our best dman today until his brain fart late in the third, and I say that as a guy who was terrified of him coming into camp. You're clearly biased and don't have a leg to stand on, so why not go complain about your prospect on the Flyers' board?

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013

Chabot is Sanheim-lite and Hicketts gets as much time as he does because his junior coach has his back.

Chabot is Sanheim-lite? Well, he's a year younger, so he's had a year less of development time, meaning his offensive game may not be quite as polished. But he's certainly looked better in the tournament/pre-tournament so far. That's all I can judge on since I haven't watched much of Sanheim, so I won't go making outlandish claims saying one's better than the other.

I'm sure you've watched Chabot a ton though, so you're probably an expert on his game and how it relates to Sanheim. :sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nope. As a Leafs fan, his brain was clearly racing ahead of his body and as a result he fumbled the puck and wasn't moving his legs on multiple occasions. In the third, as he started to move his legs more and get engaged in the flow of play, he started to create more space and chances with his hands/vision. His poor start was NOT caused by his linemates being a step behind.

Hicketts was our best dman today until his brain fart late in the third, and I say that as a guy who was terrified of him coming into camp. You're clearly biased and don't have a leg to stand on, so why not go complain about your prospect on the Flyers' board?

Best? None of the defensemen did anything noteworthy today, so even if that's true it's no compliment. But that's what happens when the wrong players are used in the wrong situations.

Imagine putting Marner on the 4th line and giving him little icetime. Bet he wouldn't exactly light it up. Then imagine saying something as foolish as "he doesn't deserve to move up the lineup because he's not producing". He needs to produce to have icetime, but he needs more icetime to produce.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The thing is with Sanheim... even if you are not going to use him much at EV he is almost certainly the best PP Dman in the CHL.

Yet he got like 1 shift on the PP.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Chabot is Sanheim-lite? Well, he's a year younger, so he's had a year less of development time, meaning his offensive game may not be quite as polished. But he's certainly looked better in the tournament/pre-tournament so far. That's all I can judge on since I haven't watched much of Sanheim, so I won't go making outlandish claims saying one's better than the other.

I'm sure you've watched Chabot a ton though, so you're probably an expert on his game and how it relates to Sanheim. :sarcasm:

You're right, he's had less development time and isn't as polished. So wouldn't that lead you to believe that their places should be swapped for this present day tournament? You know, since I'm not talking about the future and what everyone will be like when they're done developing, I'm talking about how players are right now. Right now, Sanheim is the best offensively of the defensemen. Right now, Sanheim should be used more offensively.

Also, since you clearly didn't watch the pre-tournement, Sanheim had a very good first game, didn't play the second game, and then hardly played the third game. Nothing that happened there explains his current placement on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Really ? :help:

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
I'm a big fan of Marner, just look at my avatar. But he was terrible today.

He spent half the PP trying to force passes that weren't there, he held onto pucks that should have been dished off or dumped in and he spent way too much time trying to carry the puck into unnecessary areas. Maybe it was the aggressive USA PK and defense, but Marner wasn't very Marner-like today.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on HF before

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
You're right, he's had less development time and isn't as polished. So wouldn't that lead you to believe that their places should be swapped for this present day tournament? You know, since I'm not talking about the future and what everyone will be like when they're done developing, I'm talking about how players are right now. Right now, Sanheim is the best offensively of the defensemen. Right now, Sanheim should be used more offensively.

Also, since you clearly didn't watch the pre-tournement, Sanheim had a very good first game, didn't play the second game, and then hardly played the third game. Nothing that happened there explains his current placement on the team.

Relax. It's just a tournament. I did watch the pre-tournament and wasn't that impressed, but you don't have to care about what I think. He may be the best offensively, but i haven't seen it. I know you're a biased Flyers fan (just like I'm a biased Sens fan), but you've got to stop acting like Sanheim is amazing. If he really deserved more ice time, he would get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad