WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And why is Konecny on a checking line when he's looked so good in every game of the selection camp (going back to the summer) when playing with skilled players?

He's on that line because he can play their high, tempo game and also be the driving force on the offensive side. It makes perfect sense to me, it's still a key role.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
Flyers fans are excessively biased about Sanheim, there is no discussion to have with them about him. He barely got any minutes and he impressed nobody. Apparently that is everybody's fault but his

How many goals against was Sanhiem on the ice for?

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Strome was easily our best player today, played a terrific 200 foot game. A lot of guys had strong 1st or second period but not many stood out positively in the third. I thought Marner was awful offensively for the first 40 but looked more comfortable in the third period, setting up the Strome goal and using his hands to create more chances. That being said, he still looks a step behind and hopefully gains some confidence against Denmark. Gauthier was a surprising force, he created a lot of chances and quickly moved the lineup, as Barzal did too. I liked the line with Stephens, Konecny, and Crouse, but I didn't see that trio much in the third. Did Lowry blow that up for whatever reason?

Point is obviously still injured because Lowry was clearly protecting him today. If he isn't 100% he shouldn't be playing but TC must have a play. Virtanen started out strong but was a letdown today. As a guy with NHL experience he's expected to be a leader on this team and with efforts like today that won't be the case. That's not to say he was bad but if we're going to go deep into this tournament both of those guys need to be driving forces for this team. He's a shoot first guy, one of the few not overpassing early today, so perhaps experimenting Marner with him could yield positive results? Strome seemed to fit in more on his line or I'd move him instead.

On the back end I thought Hicketts, Hickey, and Dermott stood out positively, although Hicketts left a bad taste in my mouth with that third goal. All three were strong on the puck and made simple plays on the breakout. Chabot I'm going to abstain from commenting on because I didn't seem to notice him enough on the ice, although that typically is a good thing. Sanheim and Fleury both handled the puck like a grenade, and while I admittedly don't see them play often in junior, I was left wanting more today.

McDonald was fine in goal IMO, with no chance on the 1st goal and having the 3rd and 4th goals tipped in by his teammates (seriously, get your damn sticks out of the shooting lanes). I'm sure Blackwood will take the crease after game 3 but I still haven't seen anything to suggest McDonald will be the downfall of this team; if anything, his team let him down a bit today.

McKeown is lol as far as I'm concerned. Seems like a roster spot wasted when an 18 year old could come along for the experience and return to the 2017 tournament.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Dermott did nothing noteworthy. Didn't have a good game.

Dermott was fine for the most part. Didn't do anything fantastic, but sure wasn't bad either. A quiet, steady game from a defenseman isn't a bad thing.

Jawafa

Jul 30, 2007
Manitoba
Virtanen was neither good or bad, but we need more from him. He has to make smarter and quicker decisions with the puck

He wasnt good in last years Tourny and is coming from the NHL, people already dont like him and have big expectations. I thought he was strong on the puck, skated very well when the team in general look slow, and got off some good shots, when the rest of the team was reluctant to shoot. He wasnt a top player but played a effective role on his line.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Obviously, but the stars come out in the big games when it matters most. Padding stats against the weak teams is meaningless when the end goal is to win the Gold. Not seeing an alpha dog who will emerge amongst this group.

Yes, but is good to build confidence. I see Strome as their best player going forward. But, yeah, they lack a true go-to-guy like Matthews.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Virtanen was neither good or bad, but we need more from him. He has to make smarter and quicker decisions with the puck

I would put Virtanen with Strome. He needs someone to feed him the puck. There are no better playmakers on Team Canada than Strome and Barzal. To max out Virtanen's scoring ability, one of these 2 Centers may be the right tweak to get more out of him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Than Sanheim was abysmal if you think Dermott didn't have a good game. Dermott played better, sanheim was meh. Not saying he isnt good but he like many of the team didn't play to their abilities

Sanheim didn't play enough. It's that simple. He's the best offensive defensemen on the roster and gets 30 seconds of PP time? When a player excels in a certain aspect of the game they should be used in a way that shows that. An offensive defensemen should be on the PP, out for ozone draws, out with offensive forwards at 5v5. That's not what happened so no **** he didn't play to his potential. How about we put Marner on the fourth line and see leaf fans defend him when he doesn't look good.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How many goals against was Sanhiem on the ice for?

Well it is hard to be on the ice for a goal when you can't even get yourself into the top 6. Like I said if he wants more ice time do something about it make a point because he has done nothing at all with the chances he has gotten to replace any of the other defensemen. I have no biases here I honestly have no feelings in any way to the Flyers and thought Sanheim was going to be a top pairing guy on the team....but he doesn't deserve it right now.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
- Our coaching was Atrocious
- We lack offensive dman
- Shoot the puck more
- Quenneville is a generic 5.10/185 pounbds Grinder...we could have used another big body in Dubois or a Sniper like MDC
- Fleury gotta step-up and do more. Dermott has no business on PP.
- Marmer is trying too be 2 fancy. He'll rebound
- Virtanen gave a great effort, his decision-making was avg .
- Where was Beauvillier? top 3 performer in 80% of pre-season and coach bench him? Awful. Should be top 9 Role
- Refs we're awful on both sides

TOP 3 Offensivelly
- Gauthier ( Was a dominant force in front of the net and he has insane speed for a big body
- Strome
- Barzal or Perlini

TOP 2 Defender
- Hickey and Chabot we're very good

McDonald shouldnt start when Montembault was superior in lqast 2 weeks

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Fleury -- Hickey pairing was brutal in the 2nd half of the game. (mainly due to Fleury tbh) Constantly hemmed in their zone and lost a few battles for loose pucks.

Though tbh Chabot was the only Dman who played really well for Canada.

How about putting Sanheim/Dermott with Fleury/Hickey?

Gives both pairings an offensive guy and a more defensive guy... would let Sanheim and Dermott play their more natural game and also mean Fleury & Hickey would probably have an easier time getting out of their zone. If the game is close in last few minutes (down or up) then switch pairings to what were used today.

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
Marner did nothing offensively for the first 2 periods (even though he was barely even on the ice in the 2nd along with Strome)

But the ridcule this kid is getting (purely because hes a leafs prospect and drafted 4th) is a joke. He was forechecking hard, created turnovers and set up a few scoring chances in the 3rd (as well as a goal to strome). Huge joke that people think he was the worst player today when guys like virtanen and crouse do zero on both sides of the ice.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Also everyone just relax! It's one game the tournament isn't over yet.

Only thing I'm really concerned about is the constant line juggling I just don't get it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You're right, once a puck is deflected you shouldn't make the save...

To be fair when a puck is deflected that close the goalie really doesn't have a chance to react to that, he had no chance on that 3rd goal. Other then the 3rd goal though I though he was below average, his positioning and rebound control left a lot to be desired, the good thing is if we meet the States again it will be with a different goalie.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
- Our coaching was Atrocious
- We lack offensive dman
- Shoot the puck more
- Quenneville is a generic 5.10/185 pounbds Grinder...we could have used another big body in Dubois or a Sniper like MDC
- Fleury gotta step-up and do more. Dermott has no business on PP.
- Marmer is trying too be 2 fancy. He'll rebound
- Virtanen gave a great effort, his decision-making was avg .
- Where was Beauvillier? top 3 performer in 80% of pre-season and coach bench him? Awful. Should be top 9 Role
- Refs we're awful on both sides

TOP 3 Offensivelly
- Gauthier ( Was a dominant force in front of the net and he has insane speed for a big body
- Strome
- Barzal or Perlini

TOP 2 Defender
- Hickey and Chabot we're very good

McDonald shouldnt start when Montembault was superior in lqast 2 weeks

you have top offensive defender from the whl on the roster. Coaching staff is clueless

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Marner did nothing offensively for the first 2 periods (even though he was barely even on the ice in the 2nd along with Strome)

But the ridcule this kid is getting (purely because hes a leafs prospect and drafted 4th) is a joke. He was forechecking hard, created turnovers and set up a few scoring chances in the 3rd (as well as a goal to strome). Huge joke that people think he was the worst player today when guys like virtanen and crouse do zero on both sides of the ice.

It has nothing to do with him being a Leafs prospect, and everything to do with him being expected to be a top player on the team, if not the top player. His expectations are higher than other players, and in comparison he had a horrible game. He had a few good shifts and made a good play on the Strome goal, but the bad far outweighed the good in this one. He has the talent to be much better than this, so I hope he steps it up going forward.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
you have top offensive defender from the whl on the roster. Coaching staff is clueless

I concur that Sanheim should see more ice-time but today he was avg in the putrid ice-time he saw. He was better than Dermott on the PP for me. That's 3-4min he should get and Mckeown shouldn't see the ice.

McKeown was the worse dman in camp and they selected him. No clue why an Offensivly-gitfed dman like Lauzon get cut for a guy who looked out of place often.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Virtanen and Marner were not as bad today as people are saying on this board.

:snakehead:snakehead

I don't get why people are saying they were terrible they weren't, but they defnitley need to be 10X better. They were more disappointing than bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->