WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I want Marner to play with Point. The chemistry between Strome and Marner is overrated. There are plenty of good players on this team so they should at least experiment to see if there are better line combos. Put Marner with Point and keep Barzal on the Virtanen line. They were good. This will give us four solid lines with solid chemistry.

While I disagree with your assessment of the chemistry between Strome and Marner (IMO they obviously think the game the same way) I am curious where you propose Strome to play? Centering the 4th line?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So I made a potential team for next year out of boredom :

Beauvillier-Barzal-Marner
Dubois-Patrick-Konecny
Crouse-McLeod-Gauthier
Jost-Harkins-Stephens
Brown

(assuming Strome stays with Arizona)

Chabot-Juulsen
Chychrun-Fabbro
Lauzon-Roy
Meloche

Sawchenko
McNiven
Hart

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
To me he is a nice passenger player - he needs very good linemates to feed him and create chances, but he can change momentum with a hit, and he's a great goal scorer at this level. Do not love him defensively or handling the puck but he is a 19 year old so he will need to be relied on for that kind of thing in crunch time.

If Virtanen was that well rounded he wouldn't be on team Canada right now. Nothing wrong with having a wrecking ball that scores on the team. Keeps teams on their toes and gives the skill guys like Barzal and Marner room to operate.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010

Dubois-Patrick-Konecny
Crouse-McLeod-Gauthier
Jost-Harkins-Stephens
Brown

Chabot-Juulsen
Chychrun-Fabbro
Lauzon-Roy
Meloche

Sawchenko
McNiven
Hart

I can see Crouse, Marner and even Barzal in the NHL next year

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
While I disagree with your assessment of the chemistry between Strome and Marner (IMO they obviously think the game the same way) I am curious where you propose Strome to play? Centering the 4th line?

First of all, the Stephens line is the fourth line. I consider the first three lines scoring lines that can be rotated.

What have you seen so far that makes you think Marner and Strome have chemistry 5 on 5? I've seen Marner when he has chemistry with players (Dvorak, Tkachuk, Juolevi, Mete) and from what I've seen in this pretournament, it looks like Lowry's trying to force a connection that just isn't there right now.

This is a short tournament, there is no time to have players find their chemistry. There are better options than just putting the two 18 year olds together and hoping they find chemistry. Get them paired with a 19 year old. Putting Marner with Point allows Marner to follow Point's lead. Point is the captain and as a 19 year old, is more likely to make a noticeable impact in every game. Marner can feed off of that. Also, giving Strome wingers like Chartier and Gauthier gives him a 19 year old to work with and a big scorer to feed.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I like having Marner and Strome on together because those are the two players I want to see on the ice for 40% of the game. I don't think they have bad chemistry, once the pace heats up they will shine.

They need the puck. Too many times they were open and the puck was up top at the point and the defenders chose to lob it on net or into the corner while Marner/Strome were literally wide open waiting for the puck.

The more either of them has the puck the more they will produce. If those same situations had happened on their respective OHL teams the defender would have known to defer to them and let them do their thing.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Under new Leafs management I would be a bit surprised if Marner is.

What good does sending Marner back to the OHL do? After this year there is nothing left for him to prove at that level. Unfortunately the AHL isn't an option, which would be ideal, IMO.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I personally enjoyed Nathan MacKinnon as the 13th forward behind stalwarts such as Anthony Camara, never mind the obvious chemistry he had with Drouin. That's my homer choice as the most annoying decision but Spott that year was just horrendous in general. I'm so glad he got the boot from Toronto when Shanahan cleared house last summer.

Yes, MacKinnon and Drouin should have been together, probably with either Scheifele or Monahan as their centre who does the dirty work. There were problems with the defence too. Griffin Reinhart and Tyler Wotherspoon were small ice defencemen who were brought to Russia. The could have gone with Ryan Sproul if they wanted some size, and Derrick Pouliot would have been useful as a puck mover (in place of Murphy).

Their chemistry is no good unless it manifests itself on the ice. It never has up to this point. If Strome has to centre the fourth line for Canada to be more effective, that isn't a problem. If he and Marner actually demonstrate chemistry for the first time, that would be nice too.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
To me he is a nice passenger player - he needs very good linemates to feed him and create chances, but he can change momentum with a hit, and he's a great goal scorer at this level. Do not love him defensively or handling the puck but he is a 19 year old so he will need to be relied on for that kind of thing in crunch time.

There is a misconception out there about Virtanen's defence. I have been critical of JV since we drafted him, but he is actually a good defensive player in the sense that he drives possession.

He takes the puck from the defensive zone or neutral zone and brings it to the offensive zone and generates shots. Is that defence? Many would say yes, it is the "new age" version of what good defence is.

Some stats to back me up:

- 4th on the Canucks in Corsi For % after the Sedins and Vrbata.
- 2nd in Fenwick For % behind Chris Tanev.
- He has the best Corsi Against Per 60 on the team and the 2nd best Fenwick Against Per 60 after Tanev.

These stats don't tell the whole story or even most of the story, but they do say something. I agree that Virtanen sometimes fumbles the puck and may even make the odd poor passing decision but overall he generates positive possession and shot differential at the NHL level. He should be able to do that with even greater success at the junior level.

DoubleDouble*

If Virtanen was that well rounded he wouldn't be on team Canada right now. Nothing wrong with having a wrecking ball that scores on the team. Keeps teams on their toes and gives the skill guys like Barzal and Marner room to operate.

I agree with all of that.

There is a misconception out there about Virtanen's defence. I have been critical of JV since we drafted him, but he is actually a good defensive player in the sense that he drives possession.

He takes the puck from the defensive zone or neutral zone and brings it to the offensive zone and generates shots. Is that defence? Many would say yes, it is the "new age" version of what good defence is.

- He has the best Corsi Against Per 60 on the team and the 2nd best Fenwick Against Per 60 after Tanev.

These stats don't tell the whole story or even most of the story, but they do say something. I agree that Virtanen sometimes fumbles the puck and may even make the odd poor passing decision but overall he generates positive possession and shot differential at the NHL level. He should be able to do that with even greater success at the junior level.

Virtanen makes me nervous when he's defending or when he's carrying the puck, but I am glad he is on the team. We're better for it. I don't want him on the ice against Nylander, Rantanen, Matthews, Etc is more what I am getting at. His explosions of speed and talent are awesome but other elite players will make those mistakes count when it happens. He also needs to control his emotions.

I felt the same way about Kadri and Hall that one year - they both were awesome, but when they made mistakes against top players it always seemed to end up in a goal or a chance against, and it happened in clutch situations.

Would like to see this team lean heavily on Strome/Marner/Barzal/Point in this tournament. I think those 4 are the key to our success this year. Feed them minutes ala Tavares and McDavid in key games.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Agreed on your premise here. He's performing about as well as you can realistically expect for him in the NHL in terms of possession. People don't really think of that as defense but...if you're driving the play then you don't have to defend.

His in-zone coverage may need work. Maybe it's more accurate to say he's a strong neutral zone player? People will flame me for this but he reminds me of David Booth in that respect.

I'm as critical as any of Virtanen, but I'm just excited to see him given a chance to shine.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Gritty powerforwards aren't always the best captain material, as they tend to play with their emotions cranked to 11 and step over the line from time to time. I'd take Virtanen on my team, any day of the week, but that doesn't mean he's best-suited to a letter.

Would like to see this team lean heavily on Strome/Marner/Barzal/Point in this tournament. I think those 4 are the key to our success this year. Feed them minutes ala Tavares and McDavid in key games.
Virtanen will be leaned on heavily, as he can break games open with a single shot or rush. He might not be a two-way, defensively-minded forward but Canada desperately needs his skillset. He'll be as instrumental as any of the other top players on this team, especially as the games get tougher.

Last edited:

DoubleDouble*

I hope he isn't, but that's not up to me. Hockey Canada knows better than most of us, so I trust their judgement. I think this tournament will come down to the 4 I mentioned though - I like our D and our goalies, so we need some guys to create offence.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think Virtanen will be one of the key guys for Canada. The Canadians always do best when they bring a physical edge to their game and that plays to Virtanens strength. His defensive play is solid as he's been playing in the NHL for a coach who doesn't have much patience with rookies who can't play defence.

The risk with a guy like Virtanen in an international tournament is that he gets a major penalty for what would just be a big hit in the NHL. It's a risk for sure but I think it's worth it for the added dimension he brings.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think Virtanen will be one of the key guys for Canada. The Canadians always do best when they bring a physical edge to their game and that plays to Virtanens strength. His defensive play is solid as he's been playing in the NHL for a coach who doesn't have much patience with rookies who can't play defence.

The risk with a guy like Virtanen in an international tournament is that he gets a major penalty for what would just be a big hit in the NHL. It's a risk for sure but I think it's worth it for the added dimension he brings.

People often bring up a big hit as the risk for Canada but I think the bigger risk will be the little hooks and stick checks that CHL players are used to being overlooked but euro refs seem disposed to call. Look at the list of penalties that Canada took in the 3rd period yesterday. Hooking, holding, interference. Those pile up because they happen in the heat of a puck battle, while "big hits" tend to be more premeditated and therefore easier to avoid doing when you know the refs are going to call it.

That's more my worry anyway.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Dubois-Patrick-Konecny
Crouse-McLeod-Gauthier
Jost-Harkins-Stephens
Brown

Chabot-Juulsen
Chychrun-Fabbro
Lauzon-Roy
Meloche

Sawchenko
McNiven
Hart

Not looking to harp on you, but I see a guy like Merkley making this team next year given that he was a final cut on this year's team.

I'd also wager that Tyson Jost does not play in a 4th line capacity, HC wouldn't take a player like him to grind the 4th.

Players who can threaten for spots in the NHL:
- Marner
- Chychrun
- Crouse
- Konecny
- maybe more wildcard, highly mature players like Dubois/McLeod could also threaten for spots in NHL training camps.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

It was exactly the same, or worse, with Ritchie last year. And in the end, Ritchie was making hits and didn't get any stupid penalty.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I will be shocked if Crouse isn't playing the NHL next season. Strome definitely will be and Barzal and Konecny have a good chance to make it too imo.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Dubois-Patrick-Konecny
Crouse-McLeod-Gauthier
Jost-Harkins-Stephens
Brown

Chabot-Juulsen
Chychrun-Fabbro