OT: 2015 World Juniors

scott99

May 13, 2005
Sweden 3, Finland 3, end second period, Soderstrom, 14 saves, 17 shots.

This has been a pretty ****** WJC for Islander's fans.

1) MDC and JHS don't make team Canada
2) Sorokin is being outplayed by a large margin by fellow Russian Goalie Shestyorkin (younger and better ? Did we pick the wrong Russian goalie ?, also, a God damned Ranger draft pick in the 5th round).
3) The lone bright spot, Soderstrom, isn't exactly tearing it up by giving up 3 goals on 17 shots in an elimination game.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

2) Sorokin is being outplayed by a large margin by fellow Russian Goalie Shestyorkin (younger and better ? Did we pick the wrong Russian goalie ?, also, a God damned Ranger draft pick in the 5th round).
3) The lone bright spot, Soderstrom, isn't exactly tearing it up by giving up 3 goals on 17 shots in an elimination game.

It's very hard to judge goalies in this tournament. They usually have poor defense in front of them while facing the top scoring junior players in the world. I remember hearing the announcers talk about how bad they feel for the goaltenders in this tournament since they always get hung out to dry.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It's very hard to judge goalies in this tournament. They usually have poor defense in front of them while facing the top scoring junior players in the world. I remember hearing the announcers talk about how bad they feel for the goaltenders in this tournament since they always get hung out to dry.

Yeah, well you have to take control of the chances you get. Shestyorkin has been phenomenal in 2 out of 3 games. The one game he stunk was the game prior, giving up 3 goals on 15 shots, but the coach went back to him and he made 40 some odd saves to knock out our American team. I'm not sure if Sorokin wins this game if he played.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Tough tournament for us this year Scott. Sweden just took back the lead 4-3 (game on TSN 1050).

scott99

May 13, 2005
Sweden 6, Finland 3-Soderstrom, 30 saves, 33 shots.
Sweden vs Russia, semi-final, Sunday, time TBA.

From what I read in the Sweden/Finland thread, Finn fans were angry because Soderstrom was giving up a ton of rebounds, but the Finns weren't capitalizing. That's not a good thing to hear. That being said, congrats to Soderstrom and the Swedes, they haven't lost yet. Hopefully he wins Sunday and plays well.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
From what I read in the Sweden/Finland thread, Finn fans were angry because Soderstrom was giving up a ton of rebounds, but the Finns weren't capitalizing. That's not a good thing to hear. That being said, congrats to Soderstrom and the Swedes, they haven't lost yet. Hopefully he wins Sunday and plays well.

Got the same impression just from listening to radio broadcast, Finland did have chances, missed the net a few times. In between periods of Czech Repulic-Slovakia they showed some highlights, weak rebound on third Finland goal, five of the nine goals Soderstrom has given up has been rebounds. There are some rebounds a goalie can't control but 4 of the rebound goals have been something needs to improve on. Hope that comes with expirience. Going into the WJC didn't think Soderstrom would play but injuries to others gave him his chance plus he can play next near too.

PS-the home made L and B style pizza is ready, time to pig out.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Got the same impression just from listening to radio broadcast, Finland did have chances, missed the net a few times. In between periods of Czech Repulic-Slovakia they showed some highlights, weak rebound on third Finland goal, five of the nine goals Soderstrom has given up has been rebounds. There are some rebounds a goalie can't control but 4 of the rebound goals have been something needs to improve on. Hope that comes with expirience. Going into the WJC didn't think Soderstrom would play but injuries to others gave him his chance plus he can play next near too.

PS-the home made L and B style pizza is ready, time to pig out.

Enjoy it my friend.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is the first time in years where I could give a crap about the WJC. I'm still bitter at Team Canada for cutting MDC and I'm secretly hoping it comes back to bite them in the ass. I'll watch them next year when MDC is on the team. :)

Without a 1st rounder this year, I could care less about draft eligibles either. Our Isles are finally legit and are kicking ass while taking names so I'm very focused on that.

scott99

May 13, 2005
This is the first time in years where I could give a crap about the WJC. I'm still bitter at Team Canada for cutting MDC and I'm secretly hoping it comes back to bite them in the ass. I'll watch them next year when MDC is on the team. :)

Without a 1st rounder this year, I could care less about draft eligibles either. Our Isles are finally legit and are kicking ass while taking names so I'm very focused on that.

I'm actually hoping Sweden wins it all. Im hoping Shestyorkin gives up 3 goals in 5 shots so they have to put Sorokin back in. Then I hope Russia loses 3-2. Then Canada beats Slovakia, and then Sweden beats Canada.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I would trade for a Memorial Cup win for MDC over a WJC gold medal although playing for his country would have been a great opportunity for him. Memorial Cup is much harder to win and as Oshawa is gearing up for the cup run, I think they will have a great chance.

As long as MDC plays well for the rest of this year and most importantly, stay healthy it will be good for him. As his chance to makes the Isles is slim next year due to Isles depth, I think he may have a shot making the WJC team next year.

As for the goalies, do not put too much into the performance of one short tournament. There have been great performances before by some goalies in this tournament and then they just could never live up to that performances ever again. Remember Campbell who won for the USA team years ago?

scott99

May 13, 2005
Soderstrom looks bad, I mean Koskinen/Nilsson bad. I am hating this WJC. Worst one for Islander's fans in years.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bye bye Soderstrom, 4-1 Russia in the 3rd. Needed him the show up big and he disappoints. Not totally his fault, Sweden was horrible defensively.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Exactly. It's impossible to judge goalies in this tournament with all the offensive talent and poor defense. It's pretty much all star teams from each country going against each other.

Crazy gold medal game. Shestyorkin gives up 2 goals in the 1st 3 minutes and replaced by Sorokin. 2-1 after the 1st period, then Canada makes it 5-1 but Russia scores 3 goals to make it 5-4 after 2 periods. If he can hold the fort, and Russia can score a goal or 2 they can steal the gold. Also, Russia gets a full 2 minute power play to start the 3rd. Crazy game.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Crazy gold medal game. Shestyorkin gives up 2 goals in the 1st 3 minutes and replaced by Sorokin. 2-1 after the 1st period, then Canada makes it 5-1 but Russia scores 3 goals to make it 5-4 after 2 periods. If he can hold the fort, and Russia can score a goal or 2 they can steal the gold. Also, Russia gets a full 2 minute power play to start the 3rd. Crazy game.

It was a crazy game. Looked like Canada would run away with it when they scored seconds into the first period but Russia really made a great comback attempt. Their defense is really terrible. They don't give their goalies any help.

that 2 on 1 save Sorokin made was unbelievable, probably the save of the tournament.

Couldn't believe he made that save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad