Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v13) Next: @ CWS | Wed, July 8 | 8pm ET/5pm PT | Hutchison vs Danks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
wasn't he injured for most of that slash line?

his first 16 at bats in that sample was before he got hurt and he went 1 for 16. Not a big sample but still. Doesn't seem worth the risk that he goes into a slump again when he's doing just fine in the 9 slot right now.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
would you switch Travis and Reyes in the order?

.340 OBP vs .300 OBP. want more RBI opportunities for JD and JB.

I'd imagine you're attacked differently when you're leading off compared to batting 9th. Who's to say he'll maintain around the same numbers or have the same composure? Reyes has been a leadoff man for years and knows what his job is. The avg/obp gap isn't large enough to have me consider that particular swap.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hutch needs to go to the Jon Lester school of pick offs, and never do it.

I don't understand how Lester gets away with never throwing to 1st? Wouldn't guys just steal off him like crazy because they can get massive leads because he never throws over there?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'd imagine you're attacked differently when you're leading off compared to batting 9th. Who's to say he'll maintain around the same numbers or have the same composure. Reyes has been a leadoff man for years and knows what his job is. The avg/obp gap isn't large enough to have me consider that particular swap.

I think it should definitely be considered versus left handed pitchers since Reyes has struggled right handed. I'm willing to let Reyes lead off vs right handers for now.

Reyes needs to do a better job of getting his ass on base. Imagine the numbers JD or JB would have if Reyes got on base at a better clip. This offense could be even better.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
He's not going to score from 2nd on a sac-fly.

They did waste Reyes' bat. He came up with Travis at 2nd and 0 outs, and he left with Travis and 2nd and 1 out.

If he bunts Travis over they have the same number of outs except a runner at 3rd who can score on a sac-fly, instead of 2nd.

It's all hypothetical, but there's an example of where giving up an out to move a runner over would have put them in a better position. Reyes' out gave them nothing. If he bunted Travis over at least they are 90' closer to a run.

I'm not saying it's always the play to make, but there's a case of where doing so would have put them ahead.

Don't want to get into it, but I fundamentally disagree.

Giving away an out (sacrifice bunt) is not the same as making an out (flying out to centre). It's the same end result, but it's not the same process. The fly ball could fall in, the fielder could trip, a bunch of stuff could happen. Heck, the fly ball could be deep enough that the runner can tag up and it becomes a sacrifice anyway.

My point: there were way more good things that could happen letting Reyes hit, than giving away his at bat.

It's all moot anyway, the Reyes at bat turned out to be irrelevant to the rest of the inning.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think it should definitely be considered versus left handed pitchers since Reyes has struggled right handed. I'm willing to let Reyes lead off vs right handers for now.

Reyes needs to do a better job of getting his ass on base. Imagine the numbers JD or JB would have if Reyes got on base at a better clip. This offense could be even better.

When the difference is marginal, it's not about having the best 1-4. It's about having the best depth throughout the lineup. The biggest reason the offense has been so good this year is because the bottom end of our lineup has been so good at setting up big innings. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Don't want to get into it, but I fundamentally disagree.

Giving away an out (sacrifice bunt) is not the same as making an out (flying out to centre). It's the same end result, but it's not the same process. The fly ball could fall in, the fielder could trip, a bunch of stuff could happen. Heck, the fly ball could be deep enough that the runner can tag up and it becomes a sacrifice anyway.

My point: there were way more good things that could happen letting Reyes hit, than giving away his at bat.

It's all moot anyway, the Reyes at bat turned out to be irrelevant to the rest of the inning.

the point was you said "he's in scoring position already", well yes he is, but if you move him to 3rd we can score the runner without a hit, scoring position refers to able to score on a hit.

Yes, you can argue we should let Reyes hit, we can score and score more if we let him hit, but you're probably more likely to score if you bunt him over because a sac fly can then score him.

It's all down to preference really. Gibby usually doesn't bunt this early so it's weird. I was surprised.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
yes there we go. To the 6th. Hutch's win/loss record can potentially get inflated more than it already is now

mikebel111*

alright 5 innings by Hutch, his pitching line a little misleading, didn't pitch as bad as the 4 runs indicate IMO, still got through 5 innings, nice show of emotion by Drew as well. I like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad