Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v13) Next: @ CWS | Wed, July 8 | 8pm ET/5pm PT | Hutchison vs Danks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Because if you bunt him over to 3rd you're ahead of where you are right now.

1 out runner on 3rd > 1 out runner on 2nd.

I don't see the argument.

He's already in scoring position.

Reyes is a good hitter. Why waste his bat (which they didn't end up doing)?

And I could make the reverse argument that if Reyes fly ball had of dropped in they would have the lead, another runner on and the big boys coming up instead of a runner at third, one out and no runs.

It's all moot anyway with Donaldson and Bautista's hits...

I just don't agree with wasting your lead off hitters bat with none out and a fast runner at second.

mikebel111*

good job Jose

but I thought it was mistake sending Josh there, but looked like he would be safe anyways if it wasn't cut off

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Safe to say white sox pitchers are throwing alot of off speed pitches, our hitters especially bautista have been way out front on alot of those.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

And I could make the reverse argument that if Reyes fly ball had of dropped in they would have the lead, another runner on and the big boys coming up instead of a runner at third, one out and no runs.

I just don't agree with wasting your lead off hitters bat with none out and a fast runner at second.

you don't need a hit to score him if you move him to 3rd with 1 out. That's the logic. Whether you agree with wasting an at bat to do that is another story. I'm sure Reyes wouldn't sac bunt by himself, so if he's sac bunting blame Gibby if you don't like it.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/32938/devon-travis

This tells me all I need to know

Travis in the leadoff spot is slashing .179/.256/.308, 9th he's .338/.368/.521

Lave him where's he's too, not as much pressure. Eventually you might move him up but not yet.

Our telecast earlier pointed out that when Travis was leading off this year he was playing injured.

I think Reyes should still lead off, but I'd consider Travis 2nd, Donaldson 3rd and Bautista 4th, Edwin 5th.

LaCarriere

He's not going to score from 2nd on a sac-fly.

They did waste Reyes' bat. He came up with Travis at 2nd and 0 outs, and he left with Travis and 2nd and 1 out.

If he bunts Travis over they have the same number of outs except a runner at 3rd who can score on a sac-fly, instead of 2nd.

It's all hypothetical, but there's an example of where giving up an out to move a runner over would have put them in a better position. Reyes' out gave them nothing. If he bunted Travis over at least they are 90' closer to a run.

I'm not saying it's always the play to make, but there's a case of where doing so would have put them ahead.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I assumed he was bunting for a hit the first time he showed, but I wondered about that when he did on the next few pitches. It doesn't seem to be a very Gibby-like move to play for one run in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad