OT: 2015 Redskins Part VIII: Skins Offseason: Hello, Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It was a good run. Not even mad. GB is clearly the better team. Players and coaches.

Learning experience for the young players and young coaching staff.

Here's hoping McClou can build on this years progress, and that resigning Cousins doesn't break the bank.

Off to the Caps game.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Wet hog, GB was down their top corner and in theory our receivers should have given them fits. This is what a good d-coordinator does, makes the defense at least equal if not the sum of its parts. Williams did that with us under Gibbs. I don't really understand how you can't see that.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
McVeigh did not call a good game offensively either, but I trust him in general because he's shown good things this season. It's been the exception rather than the rule.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
2nd 4th down in a row Kirk has taken a sack instead of just getting rid of it. He's just not anywhere near the zone he was in before. Too bad. I think he'll bounce back because that's how he seems to improve. Screw up, work hard to get back into that same position, get past it. Before it was late-game pressure. Now it's going to be playoff pressure.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Surprisingly good season. Looking forward to more next year. Hopefully with Culliver back and growth from Kysheon and Breeland, along with maybe signing Gallette, we should be good next year as well.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Better defense won this game. You can't count on turnovers but they needed some today. The Pack had the defense on its heels all evening.

Get healthy in the secondary and build on this run.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wet hog, GB was down their top corner and in theory our receivers should have given them fits. This is what a good d-coordinator does, makes the defense at least equal if not the sum of its parts. Williams did that with us under Gibbs. I don't really understand how you can't see that.

GB has 1st round, 2nd round and 3-6 year vets in their prime playing their natural positions in the secondary. The Skins have Breeland, undrafted FA's, converted WR's, aged Vets out of position and journeyman players in their secondary.

Bang your "Fire Barry" drum if it makes you feel better, but there is more to it than just the DC. The Skins D was a question mark coming into this season before key players were lost to injury. They thrived down the stretch because Cousins and the offense took heat off them by scoring points and holding on to the ball.

Now, in the playoffs, the Skins ran into a team with a **** load of playoff experience and better players at a lot of positions when compared to the Skins. When the offense couldn't sustain anything on a consistent basis GB's future HOF QB picked the Skins defense apart. Its not rocket science.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Surprisingly good season. Looking forward to more next year. Hopefully with Culliver back and growth from Kysheon and Breeland, along with maybe signing Gallette, we should be good next year as well.

Yes there is definetley some things to look forward to with young players on defense like Jarrett, Dunbar and Smith. Same with the offense with the young O-lineman, Crowder, Jones and Cousins. The future looks bright, so long as McClou and Gruden build on this season.

Actually looking forward to the off season, and not just the opening of free agency or the draft. OTA's will be worth keeping track of. Here is hoping this season wasn't a flash in the pan like '12 was. All of us Skins fans deserve a consistent winner.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No sad feelings, friends. I was expecting them to pick in the top 3, pick a new QB, fire Gruden, and be miserable watching the Cowboys, Eagles, or Giants go to the playoffs. This season far exceeded my expectations and laid the foundation for success moving forward.

Every single draft pick, sans one to be used on a Center, should be used on the defense and especially in the secondary. Trust in Scot.

Sep 19, 2008
This season exceeded a lot of our expectations. I write this to you all on the metro train post game.

As I walked to the game from the station I said I wouldn't be mad if we lost. Win or lose I wouldn't be mad or upset. This team is fine but has flaws.

We knew this team was fine but hadn't played anyone good and won. And they still haven't. But that doesn't take away from what they did. They simply over achieved and won a weak conference. There is nothing wrong with that. This team needs a lot of improvement. To even have nine wins when many projected less is something to hang your hat on.

This team can only get better. Unlike 2012 no one ended the game injured. We have holes we can fill in and I trust the front office to do what it takes. This team took a step today, and this season in general. We need to build on this foundation and become a perennial contender like green Bay.

We were just outplayed by a better team today. The run d collapsed and did nothing in the third. It was a game mind you. They just exploded and pulled away.

In the off-season we can make many fa and draft acquisitions to plug these holes. We can take the next step. As I said there is a different feel than 2012. I think this team is here to stay. Next year will just be better.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
GB has 1st round, 2nd round and 3-6 year vets in their prime playing their natural positions in the secondary. The Skins have Breeland, undrafted FA's, converted WR's, aged Vets out of position and journeyman players in their secondary.

Bang your "Fire Barry" drum if it makes you feel better, but there is more to it than just the DC. The Skins D was a question mark coming into this season before key players were lost to injury. They thrived down the stretch because Cousins and the offense took heat off them by scoring points and holding on to the ball.

Now, in the playoffs, the Skins ran into a team with a **** load of playoff experience and better players at a lot of positions when compared to the Skins. When the offense couldn't sustain anything on a consistent basis GB's future HOF QB picked the Skins defense apart. Its not rocket science.

You going to go by how high draft picks are? Seattle's defense wasn't too good then, I guess. Our run defense was not a question mark this season, wasn't last year and should have been even less so with Knighton. Last year we gave up 4.1 yards per rush, this season 4.8. Last year we gave up 249 yards passing per game, this season 251. We picked up Golston, Knighton, and Paiea who were upgrades over what we had before. Our offense helped the defense out more than it did last year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If we had to lose to any tram, Green Bay is probably the most acceptable. They were struggling solely because Rodgers was struggling, and as the game wore on he remembered who he was.

This season I'd a huge victory. Dear Idiot Owner: Notice what happens when the team behaves like a real team. Please never do anything ever again. Bribe NPS of you must I guess.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You going to go by how high draft picks are? Seattle's defense wasn't too good then, I guess. Our run defense was not a question mark this season, wasn't last year and should have been even less so with Knighton. Last year we gave up 4.1 yards per rush, this season 4.8. Last year we gave up 249 yards passing per game, this season 251. We picked up Golston, Knighton, and Paiea who were upgrades over what we had before. Our offense helped the defense out more than it did last year.

Players matter. Not sure why you brought up Seattle, but just like the rest of the top 5 defenses in the NFL, Seattle's defense is filled with players they as an organization drafted. Players they chose to fit their system. Maybe you brought up Seattle because they have a number of low round picks that turned into very good players, but the other top defenses have high round picks they chose starting. The Redskins have 3 starters on defense that the team drafted. Three. Four if you count Preston Smith.

And Golston, Knighton and Paea being an upgrade is worthy of debate. Golston maybe, but Pot Roast took as many plays off as he played full speed and Paea didn't contribute much.

Changes very well may be in order in regards to the coaching staff, but its far from a guarantee. And considering the season the Skins just had, and the teams past history with coaching turn over and drama, significant changes to the coaching staff would not necessarily be a positive thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad