OT: 2015 Redskins Part VIII: Skins Offseason: Hello, Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Signing Josh Norman would possibly be one of the biggest Dan Snyder moves of all time. Just because someone had one good year doesn't mean you throw the bank at him. It would be cap torture to go through it and... Just don't do it.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Both Culliver and Roberts are injured. Don't know specifics, but I don't think they can just cut injured players. We see injury settlements with UFA's in training camp all the time. Not sure how it works for players under lucrative contracts.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
they could easily afford him. Cutting Roberts, Riley, and Lichtensteiger would open up about $10 mil in cap space. They could cut Culliver and maybe Garcon too and save $16 mil there. And then you can also restructure other deals.

Lock him up, go the draft, and then figure out who you don't need and the numbers will work out.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Surprising if the Skins sign this guy to a big money deal. I guess the chances of Culliver starting the year on the PUP list, at least, is pretty good then.

Given the big time receivers the Skins will face this year just from division rivals, not a horrible move IMO.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
they could easily afford him. Cutting Roberts, Riley, and Lichtensteiger would open up about $10 mil in cap space. They could cut Culliver and maybe Garcon too and save $16 mil there. And then you can also restructure other deals.

Lock him up, go the draft, and then figure out who you don't need and the numbers will work out.

4 of the 5 players you listed are starters or significant contributors. Who replaces them on a team with a lot of holes to begin with?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Losing Culliver and Roberts to get Norman is a good move.

Get a few guys to restructure.

They have room for a player of his caliber if they think he's a Pro Bowler, largely because they're missing 2-3 first rounders who they would have to compensate with the RG3 debacle. So theoretically, they will have the cap space over the next few seasons to add a Pro Bowl level player.

The question is more, what does this do for your WRs next year? I would imagine both will have to be gone.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
4 of the 5 players you listed are starters or significant contributors. Who replaces them on a team with a lot of holes to begin with?

-Compton/Foster were already getting more playing time than Riley (who isn't very good anyway)

-Lichtensteiger is not good. Bottom 5 center in the league. Replace him with literally anybody and you get the same production.

-Culliver would be replaced by Norman. He is also coming off an ACL injury so I doubt he is ready week one anyway

-Garcon is a free agent next year and isn't in the long term plans. Draft a receiver next week.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Norman

Skins can wait to cut people, yes?

I saw a few draft books that had Skins taking that Alabama C. So, that the Lichensteiger replacement.

There are ways to fit players in.

That said...my biggest concern is this: signing Norman to big money screams "Snyder". Does that mean he is making the decision? If so...bad news for McGloughan and his total control of the team. That's a much bigger issue than anything else. If that's true, it the beginning of another End.

I don't care who we sign, as long as it's GMSM doing the moves.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
-Compton/Foster were already getting more playing time than Riley (who isn't very good anyway) - Riley is an excellent special teams player. Thats why he is still on the team. And the special teams needs all the solid players it can get.

-Lichtensteiger is not good. Bottom 5 center in the league. Replace him with literally anybody and you get the same production. - Not sure where you get "bottom 5 center" from, but he is a cut candidate. Long could replace him, but the team still needs a back up center that can play. Where does that player come from?

-Culliver would be replaced by Norman. He is also coming off an ACL injury so I doubt he is ready week one anyway - Culliver is a year younger than Norman and will probably cost less if he stays on the roster. He won't be cut.

-Garcon is a free agent next year and isn't in the long term plans. Draft a receiver next week. - Why isn't he in the long term plans? He is the only possession WR with size on the roster. Never mind the fact he is also the only WR on the roster that can run block and can go over the middle without getting broken. Cut him and replace him with how? A FA no one wants or waste a high round pick on a WR when D-line, LB and DB is more important?

Roberts is a clear cut candidate.

Lichty could be as well, but center is kind of a important position. It would need to be solidified before he is cut or soon after. O-line needs time to gel.

Cutting Garcon would be a huge mistake. He is arguably the best all around football player on the team.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Skins can wait to cut people, yes?

I saw a few draft books that had Skins taking that Alabama C. So, that the Lichensteiger replacement.

There are ways to fit players in.

That said...my biggest concern is this: signing Norman to big money screams "Snyder". Does that mean he is making the decision? If so...bad news for McGloughan and his total control of the team. That's a much bigger issue than anything else. If that's true, it the beginning of another End.

I don't care who we sign, as long as it's GMSM doing the moves.

1st I have heard the Skins projected to take a center with the 1st pick. And Lichty's replacement is already on the roster in Long so McClou wouldn't need to use a 1st on a center. He can pick one up in the later rounds to back up Long if need be.

The LB Ragland from Alabama is what I have read the most at #21. Followed by D-lineman and a couple CB's.

And no reason to think McClou has all of a sudden been Snyder'ed, yet. The defense has holes and with Culliver's rehab on-going the Skins need CB help. Also doesn't hurt that Norman appears to get under the skin of one Odell Beckham Jr. ;)

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Kirk Cousins’s job, at long last, is also his credit

Kirk Cousins’s transition from unheralded fourth-round backup to Washington sports VIP took the natural next step this week: an announcement from Eastern Motors that it had signed Cousins to a sponsorship deal.

This puts Cousins in the elite class of local athletic superstars Alex Ovechkin and Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley and LaVar Arrington, Alfred Morris and Bradley Beal, Brian Orakpo and Jason Campbell, Santana Moss and Brendan Haywood, Sean Taylor and Antwaan Randle El. It’s a rite of passage, a training in camp, something that lasts as forever as a touchdown run or a six-second video clip starring Tarik El-Bashir.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...id=hp_regional-hp-cards_no-name:homepage/card

I....ah....never mind. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad