OT: 2015 Redskins Part VIII: Skins Offseason: Hello, Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So my morning commute has all been NBA and MLB, which is unusual. Hoped for NFL and Caps/Flyers.

I'm way behind on Redskins news. Who have we let go, and acquired? I'm sure it's all here, but if someone can give a concise in/out list it would be quite helpful. I know Roast peaced out.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Great that DC is one of the teams interested. Still don't see it happening. Norman will cost a lot, and with other contract issues on the horizon, it seems like a luxury a rebuilding team like the Skins cannot afford at this time.

Having said that, the Skins need a lot of help on D. Especially with their schedule. McClou might not have a choice but to sell out to rt and land Norman.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I can see Norman as the only big splash move this offseason. Who else are they going to get up front? On offense? That defense needs help.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I can see Norman as the only big splash move this offseason. Who else are they going to get up front? On offense? That defense needs help.

Besides a RB, not sure they need anything on offense. As for defense, I'd rather see defense take its lumps with draft picks next year then see them drop huge coin/years on a 28 year old CB. The team is still another year, or two, away from landing a big money FA as a final piece for a serious playoff push, IMO.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Looks like Norman is looking for 16mil a year, or in that ballpark:

The Panthers effectively gave up trying to talk Norman into a long-term deal, after realizing that a guy who thought he was one of the top five cornerbacks of all time wanted to be paid like one.

They valued him much differently, with General Manager Dave Gettleman placing a higher premium on linemen than corners. Norman was looking for $16 million a year, while the Panthers offer is believed to have topped out in the $10-11 million range, which explains Gettleman’s decision to not pay Norman $14 million for a one-year rental.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-market-josh-norman-hires-new-agent/#comments

Thats almost as much as what Cousins is getting this year. Thats a lot.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
The only logical reason I can come up with for the Panthers rescinding the franchise tag is to allow him to negotiate to see what his salary ceiling actually is. Then get a deal done from there.

Or maybe they're just idiots.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The only logical reason I can come up with for the Panthers rescinding the franchise tag is to allow him to negotiate to see what his salary ceiling actually is. Then get a deal done from there.

Or maybe they're just idiots.

In regards to why the Panthers recinded the franchise tag:

Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman said he was comfortable with cornerback Josh Norman signing the $13.9 million franchise tag.

But the more he thought about it, the less comfortable he became.

During a pre-draft press conference Thursday, Gettleman said that as time passed and it became obvious that Norman wasn’t going to agree to a long-term deal with the team, they started looking in other directions.

“The more we thought about it, the more flexibility that $14 million would give us,†Gettleman said.

He opened the press conference emphasizing that no team was “one player away,†and insisted that Norman skipping OTAs next week wasn’t a factor. Coach Ron Rivera had nice things to say about Norman, but made it clear “I’m trusting Dave on this.â€

From the moment Norman declared himself one of the top five cornerbacks of all time, it was fairly obvious it was going to be hard for them to find common ground on a contract.

And it appears Gettleman came to the realization that possible extensions for players such as defensive tackles Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei was going to be a better use of the money than one year of a cornerback in a system that allows fifth-round picks to grow into a starting job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ne-year-deal-became-less-and-less-attractive/

The Panthers realized Norman wasn't going to sign a long term deal so they changed their mind and decided to use that 14mil in cap space elsewhere. Makes sense to me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bold move by the Panthers, but if they couldn't count on him to be more than a mercenary, nothing wrong with parting ways. That money can build a lot of depth across the roster.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I guess there is some actual fire behind the smoke earlier about the Skins interested in Norman. Seems like a bold move if they do sign him. Might also suggest Culliver will not be close to return from his knee injury when the season starts.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Surprising if the Skins sign this guy to a big money deal. I guess the chances of Culliver starting the year on the PUP list, at least, is pretty good then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad