Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part VI | Rejoice, it's Draft Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
You can't just make another trade happen because you need it to.

You can't just create a trading partner out of thin air

It's a bad trade but the truth is that they were stuck between a rock and a hard place and Hamilton made things worse by asking for that kind of money when he knew full well it wasn't possible. Crappy day for Boston fans that's for sure...

Yes, this trade is good example of why you don't want to paint yourself into a corner with contracts. It's not automatic that a team can move salary, especially for older or overpaid players.

A team needs depth but has to watch the spending in depth. It's a lot easier to replace a Chris Kelly than it is a Dougie Hamilton. IMO, this is why you avoid paying players like Condra. Useful players but you don't want to lose a important core piece because you have depth players that you can't move.

flyal13

Nov 9, 2013
Ottawa
has anyone thought about if we got o'reilly, we would have 2 of the top 3 in takeaways! i don't think we would have defensive issues then honestly.

especially if its cowen part of that trade.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Boston logic used on the Hawks would be trading Saad so they can keep Sharp and/or Bickell.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Yes, this trade is good example of why you don't want to paint yourself into a corner with contracts. It's not automatic that a team can move salary, especially for older or overpaid players.

A team needs depth but has to watch the spending in depth. It's a lot easier to replace a Chris Kelly than it is a Dougie Hamilton. IMO, this is why you avoid paying players like Condra. Useful players but you don't want to lose a important core piece because you have depth players that you can't move.

Excellent point.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
O'Reilly is really similar to Turris. IF he were to be here then I think he plays LW to Zibanejad.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Wow, Hamilton is really overrated. He's not more than a #3 and I don't see him being more than a #2 not worth the return or the asking money. We don't need him either with Ceci and Karlsson in the fray. I have confidence Ceci will at least be as good as Hamilton, probably better.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Was thinking Lucic to land in Vancouver (hometown) with 1st and Bieksa as part of the return.

Then they package a couple of 1sts+ to Arizona for the 3rd and take area boy Hanafin (I'd take Provorov).

Lots of possibilities for Bruins to explore.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wow, Hamilton is really overrated. He's not more than a #3 and I don't see him being more than a #2 not worth the return or the asking money. We don't need him either with Ceci and Karlsson in the fray. I have confidence Ceci will at least be as good as Hamilton, probably better.

Hamilton is a big 22 year old guy who just played top pairing and put up 42 points...

Hes not overrated at all

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The equivalent for us would be trading Stone for a mid 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounder.

Even then, I think Hamilton is a better player and should hold more value then Stone.

Disagree. I take Stone all day, every day. But I am high on him. To me Stone already emerged and is a top liner. But hey 1/2 a season at that level might not continue... I just think it will. Hamilton is not a top line defenceman now. Seems likely though and he is an awesome 3/4 now. That's where he is gonna sit in Calgary. At 5.5M with upside that is a good position for Hamilton.

Hamilton at $5.5 long term is not bad though. Myers money. Sure it is not a bridge deal but not crazy.

I would have thought he was demanding 7M to get traded for picks.

Thing is if Hamilton really wanted out... This isn't on the Bruins. They can't do much if a player just wants gone. Especially if he is about to sign an offer sheet. You get an unhappy player and that is good for no one. In
That context... Those picks have good value... Used to pick prospects or in further trades.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Hamilton is the real deal

I have no idea how you can think that Ceci, who is decent at best (but shows plenty of promise), is going to be better than a bonafide top pairing dman who almost got 50 points at age 22

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Wonder if we can move Smith or Cowen this weekend, unless they think Smith will be 4th line centre and Lazar right wing again? Also, what's Phillips doing?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hamilton is the real deal

I have no idea how you can think that Ceci, who is decent at best (but shows plenty of promise), is going to be better than a bonafide top pairing dman who almost got 50 points at age 22

I think Hamilton is a cream puff with inflated numbers. Guessing that's why Boston moved him, ship him out when his value is at an all time high.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think Hamilton is a cream puff with inflated numbers. Guessing that's why Boston moved him, ship him out when his value is at an all time high.

Inflated numbers? Based on what?

I think he benefited from playing on Boston and might have a bit of a come down at first in Calgary but I don't see how can disagree with the notion that he's a top pairing dman

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I really hope we move Smith/Cowen/Greening/Neil too.
Don't mind keeping Phillips for one more year.

I think his intangibles are overrated but it would be cool to have a lifetime Sen retire with us (unlike Alfie).

I'm not against giving Cowen another chance, especially since we moved out some money today. Neil and Phillips retiring as Senatos next year would be nice, now that we're not so pressed more money they can fill in as the #14 forward and #8 defenceman.

Smith and Greening should be the interesting ones to move, wouldn't be opposed to something like Smith + Greening for Bickell if Chicago can't dump him outright. Although we would need to bring in a center.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Bergeron for our 2 firsts, Dallas second and next years second and Zack Smith.

We get... Cup. Bergeron is way better the ROR.

Not gonna happen but I can dream.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Inflated numbers? Based on what?

I think he benefited from playing on Boston and might have a bit of a come down at first in Calgary but I don't see how can disagree with the notion that he's a top pairing dman

Didn't Boston fall out of the race once Hamilton was regular on their top pairing and Seidenberg out? I might be drawing false conclusions there but given that, he may not be as good as Denis Seidenberg currently and I certainly don't see old T blades as a legit top pairing guy either.

He's got time to get better, but I don't see this guy ever being good enough in one area to be a top guy on a good team. He's big and skates well but he's not physical enough or talented enough with the puck imo. Just my opinion, take it for what it is.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
I'm ok keeping Smith around. Greening is the only one left now who REALLY needs to go. Neil and Phillips are in their last seasons with the club and probably in the NHL.

It would be nice if the team could trade Cowen but I don't expect this. I expect they will trade Gryba which, for a budget conscious team, really doesn't make much sense. Other than the fact that he's probably easier to trade. But really, Gryba's a useful bottom pairing defender with size who costs very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad