Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours and Proposals | Part III | 19 Goalies and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think we are giving too much for Yakupov... He has not done much. Has been healthy scratch .. he is struggling... remind you of anyone.

If would not give Lehner for him. I would say Cowen ( for those wanting to give up on him) straight up. Both are young. Both have shown some potential.. both have struggled. It could help both teams.

Don't trade Pageau or make very sure you are getting at least equal value that can play back.

If they do move out Yakupov I think you will be shocked at the return. He is a former 1st overall with huge upside, and was a young player within a terrible Oilers team/system. We will not get a whiff at him unless we are willing to part with significant pieces.

SensAreSoClose

Apr 5, 2014
If they do move out Yakupov I think you will be shocked at the return. He is a former 1st overall with huge upside, and was a young player within a terrible Oilers team/system. We will not get a whiff at him unless we are willing to part with significant pieces.

Remember the Filatov trade? Remember how everyone was saying how much potential the guy has and what he would go for?

Yakupov is a little different, he's a little more proven but the same kind of question marks surround his game and his work ethic. If he is traded it's not going to be for some huge package or a better player, it's going to be for a project player like as someone mentioned, a Cowen type.

That said I would never take Yakupov on my team because there is a good chance you spend 2 years trying to figure out how to make him successful while the team struggles along with him. It's a waste of time a resources to trade for a player who is very likely to bust out and become one of the worst 1st overall picks in history. GM's and coaches don't care where someone was drafted 3 years ago, it's completely irrelevant and all that matters is what you can do for a team now.

Any team giving up the farm or anything of real value for Yakupov will be worse tomorrow because of it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I guess it depends on what you call a huge package and significant pieces. He won't return a package like Seguin did, but at the very least it will take a package like Turris took imo. A high end prospect + is the minimum.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You guys are out of control with these trade proposals.

We are trading Lehner and one of our young forwards for a better forward and that is pretty much that.

Writing is on ze wall.

Book it.

Dammit you guys...........stop trading away our kids!!!!!!!!

I'm going to hold them all under lock and key if I have to! We have amazing chemistry with all our kids....trading any of them away is a big risk.

Package up Legwand or Neil or some other old timer instead.

:rant:

SensAreSoClose

Apr 5, 2014
I guess it depends on what you call a huge package and significant pieces. He won't return a package like Seguin did, but at the very least it will take a package like Turris took imo. A high end prospect + is the minimum.

That's exactly what the package would be. That's what kind of value Yakupov has right now, the value Turris had 4 or so years ago. Good prospect (Rundblad was never great) and a 2nd round pick. That's fair.

Same breath, wouldn't give up a 7th to add Yakupov because of the potential headaches that could very possibly come with him. He's not a player I would ever have on a team until he's much, much older and figured out how to play the NHL game and where he ultimately fits in. Way too much risk.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's exactly what the package would be. That's what kind of value Yakupov has right now, the value Turris had 4 or so years ago. Good prospect (Rundblad was never great) and a 2nd round pick. That's fair.

Same breath, wouldn't give up a 7th to add Yakupov because of the potential headaches that could very possibly come with him. He's not a player I would ever have on a team until he's much, much older and figured out how to play the NHL game and where he ultimately fits in. Way too much risk.

That's just a complete fabrication. Rundblad was a top 5 prospect in the entire NHL prior to arriving in the NHL. His 1 month in the league didn't erase all he had done before.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
We will have to add a significant plus to Lehner for Edmonton to even remotely consider trading Draisaitl, and even then the possibility they move him is probably slim to none.

Edmonton can't continue to hoard all the jujubes when they really need a sour patch kid.

Eventually they'll need to let one of their forwards go to improve their team on the back end. Hall RNH Yak Eberle McDavid Draisaitl.. I don't see a reason why we couldn't pluck one of them, namely Yak or Leon.

That's just a complete fabrication. Rundblad was a top 5 prospect in the entire NHL prior to arriving in the NHL.

I'll confirm this. Everyone was sure Rundblad was going to be the next big star..

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Dammit you guys...........stop trading away our kids!!!!!!!!

I'm going to hold them all under lock and key if I have to! We have amazing chemistry with all our kids....trading any of them away is a big risk.

Package up Legwand or Neil or some other old timer instead.

:rant:

You know quite well that gets us basically nothing.

Also, I have no problem trading Hoffman, a guy who seemingly fell out of favour with our coach due to ineptitude in his own zone, as part of a package for a better player. We're trying to improve the team, I don't see a problem with that.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
Remember the Filatov trade? Remember how everyone was saying how much potential the guy has and what he would go for?

Yakupov is a little different, he's a little more proven but the same kind of question marks surround his game and his work ethic. If he is traded it's not going to be for some huge package or a better player, it's going to be for a project player like as someone mentioned, a Cowen type.

That said I would never take Yakupov on my team because there is a good chance you spend 2 years trying to figure out how to make him successful while the team struggles along with him. It's a waste of time a resources to trade for a player who is very likely to bust out and become one of the worst 1st overall picks in history. GM's and coaches don't care where someone was drafted 3 years ago, it's completely irrelevant and all that matters is what you can do for a team now.

Any team giving up the farm or anything of real value for Yakupov will be worse tomorrow because of it.

Filatov was not a first overall pick.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa

Also, I have no problem trading Hoffman, a guy who seemingly fell out of favour with our coach due to ineptitude in his own zone, as part of a package for a better player. We're trying to improve the team, I don't see a problem with that.

The team did seem down on Hoffman, especially in the last stretch and playoffs. I would bet that a Lehner (or Anderson)/Hoffman package would be interesting to some teams.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If we get less (or nothing) from moving older bodies, then so be it. Right now, we simply need to move a few extra bodies. I'd rather let Legwand, Neil and Smith go for free than trade away our kids for whatever.....even if whatever turns into a decent piece.

This team developed an incredible amount of chemistry during that miracle run. They played hard for one another and came together as a real team. Keep them together and they will (eventually) become champions. Get greedy searching for a "missing piece" that we can solve internally with a bit more time and experience, and we will be killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Filatov was not a first overall pick.

Filatov was a 6th overall in a very strong draft year so I don't think it's a stretch to use him as a comparable.

Yakupov would certainly fetch more than a 3rd but it seems silly to split hairs over five spots in separate draft years to pretend the trade holds no bearing for predictions.

The situations are good comparables for a multitude of reasons.

One of the major differences though was that Filatov was not going to return to Columbus so there was incentive to get whatever asset they could in return.

The Filatov trade becomes a better comparison if Nail threatens to go to Russia or demands a trade. for now EDM has no incentive to give up on Yak for a mid pick so the return would need to be more. For now we can use the Filatov trade as an indicator that GMs are hesitant to give up significant value for assets based on draft pedigree.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Murray said he will trade the goalie he gets the best offer for. Lehner seems to be getting much more interest then anderson which isnt surprising considering the cap crunch and andy's age.

Age is probably the biggest factor, as Andy's cap hit isn't bad at all for a #1 goaltender.

Not sure though there is a GM that would part with a top end prospect like Draisaitl or an existing top 6 forward for a 34 year old.

So for Murray to even dream of getting the returns suggested on this board it would have to be Lehner, then add.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I could see Buffalo offering Mouslon especially that they just got Kane who plays the same side. Moulson has a 4 years left at 5M cap hit and his salary drops to 3M in the last year. I could see Murray taking a shot at that. I surely hope he doesn't.

Not likely because....

Moulson has a NTC

Who wouldn't waive to move from Buffalo to Ottawa?

Moulson maybe? I mean he was traded away from Buffalo and then came back and asked for a NTC.

I would thibk he knew what he was getting into. He must have reasons for being there or like the city.

Both were cited reasons for why Moulson chose of his own free will to return to the team that finished 30th overall the prior season. He loved the city, ownership and management and knew he'd be looked at for leadership on a rebuilding team. Like Vesa noted, if he was hesitant about where Buffalo was heading, why ask for an NTC and commit to a 5-year term?

For all those reasons, I don't see Tim Murray trading him or asking him to waive his NTC. He seems content to have Moulson around as much for his character and veteran experience as for his on-ice contributions.

As to the ROR thoughts, his agent (per TSN) is asking for a 7 year/50M contract from the Avs as a starting point.

TSN did not report such - the only mention of that was from an unsubstantiated blog by an anonymous site that has no established credibility. Even knowledgable Avalanche fans have dismissed that blog as nothing more than speculated theory by one person rather than a leak from people that would be close to such negotiations.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If you guys want ROR, you are gonna have to ship out salary. Just because Melnyk got a new liver, doesn't mean he is gonna open his wallet. I can't believe that I am reading people want to use Lazar and Hoffman as throw ins for a trade. Am I taking crazy pills? The only D I wanted from Edmonton got picked up by Montreal for a song and they re-signed him. I have been saying for years that Petry was a right handed Methot. Oh wells. I am not the GM.

Jmacd77

May 31, 2015
Age is probably the biggest factor, as Andy's cap hit isn't bad at all for a #1 goaltender.

Not sure though there is a GM that would part with a top end prospect like Draisaitl or an existing top 6 forward for a 34 year old.

So for Murray to even dream of getting the returns suggested on this board it would have to be Lehner, then add.

I agree, BM always has an interesting take, IMO we lack a 2nd pairing on D and that's where we should be focused but here we go with another top 6 fwd haha . I don't think with Lehner we will give up enough to get Yakupov/drai unless we add our first and another significant piece which unless it's Cowen I don't think u look at doing

Knowing Murray this is probably best case scenario.

Lehner, Cowen and Greeningl/Legwand for 16 th overall Marincin and like a late pick.

We than pick at 16 and flip our first for Sharp if he'd come to Ott.

Still have our holes on D, I'd than be all for floating a package of Michalek, Puempeul/Hoffman, Gryba and a second for a solid #3 dman if BM did the above.

If he's obsessed with obtaining another top 6 guy I just don't want him to trade the farm to do so

I think we should trade Hoffman now while he is coming off a 25+ goal year and I don't trust him defensively. Use him to add a dman because you know are goalie is going to be used to add a Fwd

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The team did seem down on Hoffman, especially in the last stretch and playoffs. I would bet that a Lehner (or Anderson)/Hoffman package would be interesting to some teams.

I don't believe the team or Cameron was down on Hoffman at all, unless of course being on the 4th line at times is proof positive.

Fact is the Senators need additional production throughout the lineup, so to give up their top goal producer and one of Anderson or Lehner, would mean Murray needs more than a prospect or young NHLer with some upside in return.

IMO the only reason Hoffman is traded would be if the player and team were far apart in the initial contract discussion and there is no reason to believe this is the case.

Last edited:

SensAreSoClose

Apr 5, 2014
Edmonton can't continue to hoard all the jujubes when they really need a sour patch kid.

Eventually they'll need to let one of their forwards go to improve their team on the back end. Hall RNH Yak Eberle McDavid Draisaitl.. I don't see a reason why we couldn't pluck one of them, namely Yak or Leon.

I'll confirm this. Everyone was sure Rundblad was going to be the next big star..

Obviously not to the Sens. HF? Sure. Fact is the Sens knew exactly what they had and that was an overrated prospect that was going to have a lot of trouble adjusting to the NHL.

Rundblad was never "great", just to those that hyped him up to the point anything other than greatness was failure.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Obviously not to the Sens. HF? Sure. Fact is the Sens knew exactly what they had and that was an overrated prospect that was going to have a lot of trouble adjusting to the NHL.

Rundblad was never "great", just to those that hyped him up to the point anything other than greatness was failure.

He was ranked a top 5 prospect by The Hockey Hews (by a panel of NHL scouts), McKeens, etc.

Basically everyone thought highly of Rundblad. He was enough to get the 16th overall pick, and after that he had the best season of a D ever in the SHL.

He was a blue-chip prospect.

It was apparent that he wouldn't translate easily in NA, we traded him while he was still a blue-chip prospect for another blue-chip prospect.

You seem stuck on how he is. Not how he was. As a prospect, there may have been 1-2 more highly touted than him at the time he started his career in NA.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Pageau is our heart & soul guy. He needs to be here. Everything turned around when he was called up.

As to the ROR thoughts, his agent (per TSN) is asking for a 7 year/50M contract from the Avs as a starting point. That may not fit our budget at all. And there is no guarantee he'll sign here if we trade for him. Be expensive to get too.

I know but he's not irreplaceable, pull that trade off and were missing not that much. We're exploding with players.

The real heart and soul guy I want to keep is Lazar.

I think O'Reiley will cost us something like Lazar, Cowen/Weorcoich and a 2nd.

SensAreSoClose

Apr 5, 2014
He was ranked a top 5 prospect by The Hockey Hews (by a panel of NHL scouts), McKeens, etc.

Basically everyone thought highly of Rundblad. He was enough to get the 16th overall pick, and after that he had the best season of a D ever in the SHL.

He was a blue-chip prospect.

It was apparent that he wouldn't translate easily in NA, we traded him while he was still a blue-chip prospect for another blue-chip prospect.

You seem stuck on how he is. Not how he was. As a prospect, there may have been 1-2 more highly touted than him at the time he started his career in NA.

Wasn't Markstrom #3? Rankings mean almost nothing, I say almost because they are obviously worth something as people buy what they are selling all the time and pay good money to read it.

Bluechip prospect? 100%. Not saying he wasn't a guy the Sens were high on and everyone else before coming to NA. Once he played some NA games though it became clear he was in way over his head and the time and space he had on the bigger ice wasn't there in the NHL.

Whether he was highly touted or not isn't the point I am trying to make. A great prospect is a guy like McDavid, Hall, Seguin, Price, Karlsson, those guys were great. Rundblad was a good prospect coming off a great season in Sweden.

This seems like semantics at this point but no, I don't even think Rundblad was a great prospect. He was a guy with a ton of potential that the Sens sold on before word was out. (There were also some warning signs at the WJC's but that's nit-picky)

Quite honestly, his career has gone exactly how I thought it would after seeing him play in NA. Before he came over from Sweden I was optimistic as well but it changed pretty quickly after a dozen or so games and you could see how far away he was from being an every day NHL D man.

Original point, Yakupov has the kind of value Turris did IMO, good prospect plus 2nd rounder. I would never give that up for Yakupov though as he is just a player I would never want on my team.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Wasn't Markstrom #3? Rankings mean almost nothing, I say almost because they are obviously worth something as people buy what they are selling all the time and pay good money to read it.

Bluechip prospect? 100%. Not saying he wasn't a guy the Sens were high on and everyone else before coming to NA. Once he played some NA games though it became clear he was in way over his head and the time and space he had on the bigger ice wasn't there in the NHL.

Whether he was highly touted or not isn't the point I am trying to make. A great prospect is a guy like McDavid, Hall, Seguin, Price, Karlsson, those guys were great. Rundblad was a good prospect coming off a great season in Sweden.

This seems like semantics at this point but no, I don't even think Rundblad was a great prospect. He was a guy with a ton of potential that the Sens sold on before word was out. (There were also some warning signs at the WJC's but that's nit-picky)

Quite honestly, his career has gone exactly how I thought it would after seeing him play in NA. Before he came over from Sweden I was optimistic as well but it changed pretty quickly after a dozen or so games and you could see how far away he was from being an every day NHL D man.

Original point, Yakupov has the kind of value Turris did IMO, good prospect plus 2nd rounder. I would never give that up for Yakupov though as he is just a player I would never want on my team.

Do you make a habit of predicting careers based on a sample size of 24 games at 21 years old?

Because it seems like you're saying you knew Runblad wasn't great after that very small sample size at a very young age.

For a comparison we can look at Mika Zibanejad who only put up 11 points in his first 24 AHL games. There were people making predictions at that time and they were rightfully told that it doesn't make sense to evaluate such a young player with such a small sample size.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
TSN did not report such - the only mention of that was from an unsubstantiated blog by an anonymous site that has no established credibility. Even knowledgable Avalanche fans have dismissed that blog as nothing more than speculated theory by one person rather than a leak from people that would be close to such negotiations.

IMO it doesn't matter whether any information is available regarding ROR's contract demands, based on his past history he is going to ask for a boatload of money and term.

The Jangle Meister*

Why in the hell do people want Shultz and Yakupov?? that is the complete opposite of what we need and the complete opposite of a win now move. Horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad